Nascar points

bpthirteen

Reaction
I think it is interesting that Jimmie Johnson is leading the championship points, but he is not leading the rookie of the year standings. It is possible that Jimmie could win the championship and that Ryan Newman would win rookie of the year. I think their points system is flawed if you can de the Winston Cup champ and win more races than any other rookie, and not be the rookie of the year.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yeah, I agree it is kind of screwed up. The rookie points system takes into acount the drivers best 17? finishes. They are awarded a certain number of points for top 10 finishes, top 5 finishes, and wins. And Newman does have a lot more top 5's than JJ. However, keep in mind while Ryan Newman is leading the rookie points, there is also a fourth factor for figuring out the "Rookie of the Year" winner, and it's called "a panel of judges". It was probably put in for situations just like this. If the season ended now, I highly doubt NASCAR would give Newman the title of rookie of the year, over Jimmie Johnson who's leading the Cup points five spots ahead of Newman.

<font color=orange>"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."</font color=orange>

Bill Schmitt