Nascar regulars in Busch series

erikh

Reaction
It seems a little unfair to me that the Nascar regulars are dominating the Busch series. It's sort of like Trevor Hoffman going to Lake Elsinore and dominating there. I realize seat time is really important but other than money, what could be motivating Harvick & Waltrip and the other Nascar drivers to race in the Busch series? Is it fair to let them drop down to race in Busch?

Just wondering.

erik

Kbach66

Reaction
I don't see a problem with it. If they've got the money and sponsorship backing to do it....more power to them. I like what Dale Jr's doing this year with the Chance 2 motorsports car that he and Theresa Earnhardt own. Most of the time he lets other drivers run it (Steve Park, Martin Truex Jr., etc.) but he races the car at select races (mostly plate races) to get more seat time. The Busch series is still a pretty major racing series, so it's not like he's out at the short tracks on saturday night whooping up on everybody! But that would be cool...I love seeing Tony Stewart in a midget on Turkey Night at Irwindale having a good time!

Oh....also...who's Trevor Hoffman?

martininsocal

Reaction
Whats wrong with it? Are you impying that Busch is not "prefessional"? With the rules that Nascar has that limits the amount of practice times teams are allowed on the tracks they race on, this is a perfect opportunity for the drivers to get a feel for the track without wadding up the Cup Car and it gives the sponsor some confidence in the product the teams are selling. Why shouldn't they get the best driver they can afford? The other side is, how do the pit crews, crew chiefs, etc...ever know they are puttingthe right twists and turns into the car to make it as fast as possible without a hot shoe sitting in it once and a while? Do you guys know that Nascar limits the amount of practice on teh tracks it races on? With the exception of the wualifying and happy hour before a race, teams are not allowed to go practice on any track they wish. They are limited in the amount of time and number of tracks they can see a year. Running in Busch lets them get more seat time. Aas for the Saturday night comment, many of the Cup guys do run Saturday, Friday, and any other nightthey can when they aren't tied up with Cup commitments. Tony Stewart keeps a sprinter ready for any chance he gets. Many of the drivers feel that dirt keeps the skills honed than asphault, so they run it when they can.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

erikh

Reaction
Sorry, the baseball analogy is not quite as good as the Herbst in MDR. Trevor Hoffman is the closer for the Padres and Lake Elsinore has a AAA farm team.

By no means am I trying to say the Busch series is unprofessional. What I was asking is it fair for someone who is an elite athlete/driver to compete against some how may be less skilled? Now don't go jumping to the conclusion that I'm saying Busch drivers are unskilled. They can beat the pants off me since I'm not a race car driver any day of the week. My understanding of the Busch and other "lower" Nascar series is that they are testing, proving and training grounds for Winston Cup. If this is true for most drivers and race teams, it seems unfair for Nascar regulars to "drop down" to compete against them.

erik

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
The way I see it if a driver wants to move up from BUSH to WC shouldn't he or she have the opportunity to run against the big dogs on their porch...??? And learn from your competition....and BTW Troy Herbst did enter a MDR event one time........for testing I think it was back in 98 or 99

Start drinking till you see double and act single

Clifford

Reaction
And so did Robby Gordon. Ran the last MDR race in 1999. I believe it was the Stoddard 250 or 300. Guess what fellas, he broke. Which means all of the MDR regulars beat him, technically.

desertracer

Reaction
I do recall when robby ran the mdr race out at barstow, the wilson's car stayed with him until he broke. Other rumor was he wanted to save the truck for glamis. I think when the herbst's ran out in lucerne they cracked the block. It is one thing to go warp speed early on in the race, but you have to finish to win.

MDR Class 1

frankh

Reaction
But they were using it for testing. when robby drove his truck it was to show someone how to drive and that the truck worked. I have no problem with it. look at the up coming race there are some score guy in there. the higher the cars count . the more fun it is.

desertracer

Reaction
The next race there is Wayne lugo, that is the raceworks truggy I think, and Tim Rockenbeck(sp) who ran score for a number of years. The competition in mdr is starting to go up in my opinion, but it is no way score or bitd.

MDR Class 1

PLS

Reaction
Another reason some Cup guys run the Busch series is that they are racing their own cars. Some of them race Cup for a team owner, but own the Busch team. Not only is it for the seat time, but it also gives them experience and the chance to learn what it takes to be a team owner. Bottom line is, if you are a racer, chances are you will want to race as much as possible. Who knows, there might be a little more "Fun Factor" in the Busch series since there isn't quite so much pressure. Some of the younger guys are still contractually obligated to their Busch teams also.
Pete S.- BOYD RACING

NicksTrix

Reaction
some of them do it for the reason their contracts allow them to. for many it is extra income, and they enjoy it. it gives them more seat time that weekend, to se how the tires and track comes in.
only a few of them drive for themselfs in the series.it's about a 60/40 split.
as said, some guys will drive about anything they can get into, many can't due to contract clauses.