Nasser Al-Attiyah leaves BMW....

RGFan

Reaction
There is alot of good talent available with the demise of Mitsu and many questions regarding BMW's effort. RG should really take advantage of this and get some of them into his race cars.

Baja Fool

Reaction
There is alot of good talent available with the demise of Mitsu and many questions regarding BMW's effort. RG should really take advantage of this and get some of them into his race cars.
Peterhansel in a Hummer?!?!? Sweet!

RGFan

Reaction
Peterhansel in a Hummer?!?!? Sweet!
In our dreams........I wonder if RG would be smart enough to try something like that or if he would be to worried about Peterhansel outperforming him:D. A win in a race like that would be HUGE for RGM/RGO.

Baja Fool

Reaction
In our dreams........I wonder if RG would be smart enough to try something like that or if he would be to worried about Peterhansel outperforming him:D. A win in a race like that would be HUGE for RGM/RGO.
He picked B.J. for the Central Euro Rally and look what happened....I think if he really wants to win, he'll get the best he can. As a big Robby fan myself, I know winning is the only result he accepts. We'll see.

CaptinCrash

Reaction
no bj ponyed up for that rally

RGFan

Reaction
He picked B.J. for the Central Euro Rally and look what happened....I think if he really wants to win, he'll get the best he can. As a big Robby fan myself, I know winning is the only result he accepts. We'll see.
Yeah, but RG knew BJ had a learning curve in a new car in a new style of racing......I do not think RG was threatened by BJ. WHEN RG picks up drivers to drive his stuff, he seems to pick up and comers ($$ also, but that is another story)......Drivers who are immensely talented, but generally lack the experience to go with the talent. RG always seems to have some well defined edge over whoever drives for him. Granted, while it is hard to match RG as a driver, he has never went out and got a driver mentioned in the same breath as he is talent and experience wise. It was/is the same with Eric and Eliseo. There are some very talented drivers out there that are available that could give RG a run for his money, yet we hear crickets. I could be wrong, JMHO

Baja Fool

Reaction
Yeah, but RG knew BJ had a learning curve in a new car in a new style of racing......I do not think RG was threatened by BJ. WHEN RG picks up drivers to drive his stuff, he seems to pick up and comers ($$ also, but that is another story)......Drivers who are immensely talented, but generally lack the experience to go with the talent. RG always seems to have some well defined edge over whoever drives for him. Granted, while it is hard to match RG as a driver, he has never went out and got a driver mentioned in the same breath as he is talent and experience wise. It was/is the same with Eric and Eliseo. There are some very talented drivers out there that are available that could give RG a run for his money, yet we hear crickets. I could be wrong, JMHO
Good points, however Eric V. had raced the "Pro Truck" in Dakar in prior years and had the experience, talent, and confidence. BJ had talent, no Dakar or rally raid experience that I'm aware of and balls. So go figure on the results.
I too think RG is unmatched in overall talent and has the ability to become a top driver in virtually any segment of motor racing (some may argue, " not NASCAR!), though one cannot argue with the talents and results of a Peterhansel or a Matsuoka or even a Schliesser. The essence of my previous post and this post is: It's really a crap shoot no matter who get.

One thing is for sure, though; RG will bring whatever he's got every time.

Chase 2

Reaction
Good points, however Eric V. had raced the "Pro Truck" in Dakar in prior years and had the experience, talent, and confidence. BJ had talent, no Dakar or rally raid experience that I'm aware of and balls. So go figure on the results.
I too think RG is unmatched in overall talent and has the ability to become a top driver in virtually any segment of motor racing (some may argue, " not NASCAR!), though one cannot argue with the talents and results of a Peterhansel or a Matsuoka or even a Schliesser. The essence of my previous post and this post is: It's really a crap shoot no matter who get.

Eric V has African Dakar experience yes, talent NO!!! Eric is mid pack at best, just slightly better than Ron Bailey. BJ would give all of them a run for the money IF he had an experienced navigator, which is about 1/2 of what it takes to win one of these things.

RGFan

Reaction

I do not think you could begin to compare the abilities of Eric to RG talent wise.While Eric did an admirable job for RG, he was a mule for RG and got a finish commensurate with his talent level along with driving top notch equipment. BJ was the exact opposite. He has talent up the arse but lacked CCR experience. I think if BJ went to South America in Jan, he would have earned himself a top 5 easy.

JPBart

Reaction
There are way too many variables in the Dakar to make statements like that. I bet Sainz would be a better bet than BJ and look what happened to him. Hundreds of hours of perfection and 5 seconds of oops. Of course BJ would have squared it off, gassed it and stuck the landing. =D

I'm not anti BJ, I think he would do great, but I don't think anything about Dakar is easy for anyone.

RGFan

Reaction
There are way too many variables in the Dakar to make statements like that. I bet Sainz would be a better bet than BJ and look what happened to him. Hundreds of hours of perfection and 5 seconds of oops. Of course BJ would have squared it off, gassed it and stuck the landing. =D

I'm not anti BJ, I think he would do great, but I don't think anything about Dakar is easy for anyone.
I get what you are saying as far as unplanned things happen to the best of them, but are you implying that Eric V is just as talented a driver as BJ Baldwin. If that is what you are saying, well to each their own....I would not agree with that

Baja Fool

Reaction
I do not think you could begin to compare the abilities of Eric to RG talent wise.While Eric did an admirable job for RG, he was a mule for RG and got a finish commensurate with his talent level along with driving top notch equipment. BJ was the exact opposite. He has talent up the arse but lacked CCR experience. I think if BJ went to South America in Jan, he would have earned himself a top 5 easy.
No where was I comparing, merely illustrating that, like w/BJ, you never quite know what results you'll get with a given partner, especially in the Dakar.

randy s

Reaction
pardon the interuption but if no one brings up the importance of good navigation help with someone pretty much telling you where to go and what line might be the best, neither bj or eric or sainz or gordon would contend. co-dogs in rally are every bit as important to contend for top finishes as the drivers are at this level. look what happened when gordon did'nt pay attention to what skilton was telling him to do and rg followed alphund or peterhansel or one of them off into no mans land just because rg figured that that guy knew what he was doing. but returning to which driver has the most talent and needs the extra yardage sewn into his shorts to accomodate his stones then bj's the man. all he needs is to get comfy with the format and listen to a great nav man and he'd be a threat to win the thing everytime out in the right machinery. can the same be said of monsoir vigeroux? the answer does'nt warrant response in my opinion in spite of him having some degree of success in a world class machine. bj would have done better in spite of his lack of rally experience. blindfolded. might have even won the last dakar with all that happened with nasser and sainz. it's fun to talk about when nothings happening though is'nt it?

RGFan

Reaction
pardon the interuption but if no one brings up the importance of good navigation help with someone pretty much telling you where to go and what line might be the best, neither bj or eric or sainz or gordon would contend. co-dogs in rally are every bit as important to contend for top finishes as the drivers are at this level. look what happened when gordon did'nt pay attention to what skilton was telling him to do and rg followed alphund or peterhansel or one of them off into no mans land just because rg figured that that guy knew what he was doing. but returning to which driver has the most talent and needs the extra yardage sewn into his shorts to accomodate his stones then bj's the man. all he needs is to get comfy with the format and listen to a great nav man and he'd be a threat to win the thing everytime out in the right machinery. can the same be said of monsoir vigeroux? the answer does'nt warrant response in my opinion in spite of him having some degree of success in a world class machine. bj would have done better in spite of his lack of rally experience. blindfolded. might have even won the last dakar with all that happened with nasser and sainz. it's fun to talk about when nothings happening though is'nt it?
Navigation is HUGE in CCR racing. I was not meaning to ignore it, reading my posts however, I obviously did.;) And you are right, it is fun to talk about during a slow news cycle, hence this conversation.

Baja Fool

Reaction
Well stated; no nav, no finish. And you're right, ain't much going on......... I'm just waitin' for the 500 to get here. Ol'e!

Chase 2

Reaction
Snip......... BJ would give all of them a run for the money IF he had an experienced navigator, which is about 1/2 of what it takes to win one of these things.
I've been saying it all along. RG had the chance of a lifetime when he had Dirk in the VeeDub. Dirk has shown that not only can he navigate in the huge African dunes, he can also navigate to a win in South America as well. Andy needs to be given tons and tons of credit for mellowing Rubby out. The Rubs of old just isn't here anymore, the new Rubs with Andy's navigation has a much greater chance of winning.

JPBart

Reaction
Honestly I don't don't think the idea was for the second Hummer to be a contender. I think the plan all along was for it to be a chase truck for RG. Because of the contract with Bailey they probably had to put a driver in the truck that they could defend as a legitimate driver. Eric has the resume that would stand up to that and being a euro driver he would see his role in the team and be willing to carry RG's water. Does anyone think BJ would do that? Give up a stage win to keep RG running in 9th overall? I just don't think American drivers a raised with that same team thinking.

I can see a number of reasons to put Eric in the truck. Not the least of which is keeping the contract with Bailey paying. I also wonder if Eric was bringing some cash to the deal? Could be another reason to go with him. Maybe having a French driver on the team gives him a little more pull with ASO or Eric might have some good contacts? We will never know but I agree it's fun to talk about the what if's. I can't wait for next year.

I would love to see BJ in one of RG's hummers and agree with a solid navigator he would be a contender.

Chase 2

Reaction
Honestly I don't don't think the idea was for the second Hummer to be a contender. I think the plan all along was for it to be a chase truck for RG. Because of the contract with Bailey they probably had to put a driver in the truck that they could defend as a legitimate driver. Eric has the resume that would stand up to that and being a euro driver he would see his role in the team and be willing to carry RG's water. Does anyone think BJ would do that? Give up a stage win to keep RG running in 9th overall? I just don't think American drivers a raised with that same team thinking.

I can see a number of reasons to put Eric in the truck. Not the least of which is keeping the contract with Bailey paying. I also wonder if Eric was bringing some cash to the deal? Could be another reason to go with him. Maybe having a French driver on the team gives him a little more pull with ASO or Eric might have some good contacts? We will never know but I agree it's fun to talk about the what if's. I can't wait for next year.

I would love to see BJ in one of RG's hummers and agree with a solid navigator he would be a contender.
Not really a "chase truck" more of what we call a "Mule" or in ASO they call it a "Water Carrier".

Mark Miller and Rubbs have both been put in the position to yield overall position for the good of the team. Americans make great team players.

Of course EV brought money to RG's team, with Rubbs EVERYONE pays to play with him.

As far as connections, Skilton is the American rep for the ASO, you don't get any better connected than that.