Neck Braces and Desert Racing

dezert_nerd

Who all on here wears a neck brace when racing (or riding) their bike? I'm planning on racing V2R solo and have noticed a lot of desert racers, mainly pros, that don't wear them. Is there a particular reason for this? The only reason I could see that people wouldn't wear one is because you can't turn your head around to look behind you (obviously). What are your recommendations?

AngryShawn

I wear my Leatt brace all the time, play riding or racing.
It does impact my ability to turn my head and look back, but I've learned to live with that.
I'm happy to sacrifice some range of motion for the protection the brace offers (yes, I know this is a whole other debate...)
The V2R course typically has many opportunities to check your six easily when the course turns.
If you are really concerned, mount a small cheapo mirror on your bars.
Protective equipment seems to go through phases/fads, a while back you would see lots more pros and joes wearing them in general

AZ7000'

We always wear the Leatt's. The wife had a big get off a couple years ago near punta final and snapped her collarbone. Arguments for and against and if it will break a collarbone. My dos centavos is after she broke her collarbone we stayed the week with a 6 month old, got an xray in San Felipe, texted it to our ortho guy and she was on the OR table the day we got back... Enough force from that crash could have damaged her spine just as easy if it wasn't deflected. We just finished a peninsula run in March and wore them every day.

All of that vs. being in a chair forever, we have made our choice. Good luck with yours!

El Mamito USMC

AngryShawn

you can just get a neck brace and not a full like a leatt... but maybe an EVS and I can turn my head with it very comfortably

R2 Race Collar - Race Collars - Moto
A $40 foam donut is not at all in the same class as a real brace from Leatt, A*, Atlas, etc...
It certainly is another option, but its like trying to compare a travel neck pillow to a HANS device

El Mamito USMC

A $40 foam donut is not at all in the same class as a real brace from Leatt, A*, Atlas, etc...
It certainly is another option, but its like trying to compare a travel neck pillow to a HANS device
absolutely not,. I just was pointing out some other options when people don't like the lack of neck movement from a leatt...

redrider58

I am a huge advocate for neck braces, especially Leatt. They are the only neck brace company in the motorcycle relm that has done extensive testing with their product. The testing was done at BMW's testing center in germany. They looked at angular acceleration, flexion and extension forces.My Leatt saved me from a broken neck, in turn it did break my collar bone, but i will take that over a neck. I have always worn a neck brace through out my racing career, I feel naked without it.

My brother studies data analytics in college and he got me some of their info. Leatt has a huge 120+ page documentation of their findings. Just google "Leatt white papers" if you want to read it. I got bored at page 10 and called my brother to explain it to me.

Last edited:

Hayward Racing

I won't ride or race without my Leatt.. I crashed prerunning the 2014 Baja 500 on a downhill and the quad drove me into the ground head 1st. Luckily no back injuries but it tore my shoulder up good.

desert hooligan

i tested my neck brace at the 2013 V2R and i truly believe i would be in much worse shape right now if i hadnt had it on. i went over the bars at a very high speed at RM 50 ish. yeah i dont know what i hit in that section either because i dont remember lol. destroyed my brand new bell moto 9, the bike was mangled and couldn't continue. its a miracle im even alive. i truly think it saved me, but how do we know something that didn't happen, was prevented by wearing it (if that makes any sense). i did break my collar bone but it was determined that it wasnt from the brace because it broke way out at the end. IMO it would be dumb not to wear one.

slim01

I run an EVS brace /collar, very happy with it. Ive had a couple of tumbles at reasonable speed and have not had any neck pain, other body parts not so much.

I bought it before coming over before the 14' B1K and rarely ride without it no, a bit like riding in sneakers, just feels wrong riding without it now. I havent tried the other types but Im more than happy with how it has preformed and will buy the same again when it comes time to replace.

trophygoat

I wear an atlas too no matter what, riding or racing. I had two head first crashes recently (one while riding and one while racing) where I felt my helmet make contact with the neck brace and the neck brace did its job in reducing my head and neck's range of motion during the crash. once you crash and feel that thing do its job, you'll never ride again without one.
I'm no professional desert racer but if you ask me you shouldn't be looking back anyway. Anyone who played baseball knows that you don't look back when running to 1st base...
In terms of pro riders not wearing them, I agree I have seen a lot of baja racers without them, but look at KTMs factory racing teams, specifically their rally raid moto squad. they all have them. same with HRC
I will be in graduate school soon and I plan on doing peer-reviewed research into both of these subjects (neck braces of all types and helmets)

kenaroo

Neck braces are a bunch of hokey nonsence.. Doubt they "Saved" anyone's life.. a bunch of hearsay and great marketing that's all.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
lol I was wondering how long it would take for one of these replies to show up.

I like all of the personal experiences explaining how they got their feelings and opinions on neck braces.
I don't have one where I can say it has saved or protected me but I like Canards story a lot.
He got landed on (his head) by a 450 (cases) and had NO neck or upper spine injuries.

There is a LOT of anti neck brace on the MX side. I think most of it is they don't like the looks. Just like how it's "cooler" to have your last name showing on your jersey rather than skorboadz on a chest protector.
I'll always take the protection.

Seems most of the desert people lean this way...

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Power Monkey

I wont ride without one and I've actavated my Leatt more than once. Trees don't move!! I'm a big fan of Kneebraces also. My most recent armor purchase are the 661 wrist braces. They seam to be taking the edge off on long hard days in the chop.

Hey Kenaroo, I see your a ATX guy. Were at City Park every Wed night hammering the nasty stuff. Come join us sometime.

guycomer

I don't wear a Leatt. Not really against them, but I don't believe they work quite as often as people think they do. If they did, there would been a LOT more broken necks during the 70's, 80's & 90's before the they were introduced.
I've been racing bicycles, MX & desert since 1980 & In my experience those injuries don't happen that often. For me- I opt for a full chest guard (front and back) as it offers a good combination of protection and range of motion (which is also important when talking about avoiding injury). The one option that I don't understand is going with a jersey only. Seems insane to me.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
70's bikes were slow and limited by their suspension. 80's bikes were relatively slow and all of the same reasons. 90's bikes were fast enough but 2 strokes don't nose dive. You also have to KNOW how to make a 2 stroke go fast.

Modern 4 strokes are fast, heavy and easy to go fast on.

It's not like bull riding where only safety has evolved. Luckily safety is trying to keep up with the machines.

motoman29

IMO, it is what you are comfortable with.

I have tried several different models and have not found one that I can feel comfortable wearing.

One time, I was wearing a brace and tried to duck my head out of the way of a branch and couldn't. It ripped me off the bike. I was laying in a heap on the ground. Not a good time.

On the other side of things, I don't ever ride without knee braces.