NECK RESTRAITS which ones do you like?

scudder

looking for some sound advice on neck restraints , Hans , decell .defender .r3 etc anybody got the pros and cons

PAB

40's rock!
looking for some sound advice on neck restraints , Hans , decell .defender .r3 etc anybody got the pros and cons
Don't have any specs but I can tell you I wear my R-3 all day and don't notice it, in or out of the car. I never unhook when we have a tire change and although not always easy you can get your belts back oer it and set without too much trouble.

On Heidi the R-3 leave a rub mark at the bottom of where the R-3 contacts her at the bottom of the brace.

I hate the D-cell, major pain in the ass to adjust and pinches of the jewels and your pee tube is pinched always.

My opinion is R-3 way better than D-cell

AZ7000'

I Codawg and Drive. My R3 has been great from rollovers to changing tires and brake lines during a race. A bit more yoga involved getting in and out of the truck. No catheter issues dcell style and I believe the Hans NEEDS the seatbelt over the brace always, sometimes if I get back in during a race I'll be unable to get the straps over but tighten them up on my shoulders and it seems to still limit my head pretty well (hope it is still effective per R3). I also got the turning attachment from UPR and looking to the side (even just a few degrees more) can really help spotting traffic on the turns.

One man's opinion...
Good Luck!

D-rek

I have an R3 rage. I have Sparco seats in my 12 car and suspension seats in my pre runner. It works great in both. The HANS device requires a tub seat. D cell is a pain in the butt. The R3 is comfortable once it is adjusted right.

Demp

#mikesson
Once I put my R3 on I forget about it until the race is over. Getting in and doing your belts the few times is kind of hard. Once you figure it out, it's like walking down the street. When you're in the seat, the R3 pretty much melts into your back and seat and you can't even tell it's there. If you need to change a tire or work on the car you can leave it connected your helmet and just un-buckle the chest strap if you need to move your head. I don't get paid by Safety Solutions, but I do trust their stuff enough to brag about it. I'd roll with an R3!

zukIzzy

1 Vote for the Defender. The side to side is a plus and it comes off with your helmet for tire changes and such. I do not notice it once in the seat and driving.

Wayne

Steve0

I own a D-cell and I have also borrowed an R-3. I like the R-3 better. It is more comfortable and has better test ratings. I want to sell the D-cell and buy an R-3.

I like Demps suggestion about unbuckleing instead of disconnecting it from your helmet if you need to swivel you head doing work on the car with your helmet still on.

M.Harvey1600

I Codawg and Drive. My R3 has been great from rollovers to changing tires and brake lines during a race. sometimes if I get back in during a race I'll be unable to get the straps over but tighten them up on my shoulders and it seems to still limit my head pretty well (hope it is still effective per R3).!
the R3 is one the only/if not the only SFI 38.1 rated neck device that does not require the seat belts to work effectively... it relies on ur body that is why it extends down your back and wraps around your body... makes it a very reliable set up...
safety solutions wanted to better there d-cell design which also does not need the seat belts to anchor the system and that is where the R3 came in...

i also went with an R3... based on sled tests it is the best device in my opinion since it doesnt rely on the seat belts, after all if your seat belts loosen up it will still work...

30 Racing

I have an R3 rage. I have Sparco seats in my 12 car and suspension seats in my pre runner. It works great in both. The HANS device requires a tub seat. D cell is a pain in the butt. The R3 is comfortable once it is adjusted right.
Not true about the Hans requiring a tub seat, the Hans is the only device I can attest to working properly when it mattered most. You know what seat I use and after the violent crash on Sunday at LDC this year, while my chubby body hurt everywhere else, I had no neck soreness at all.

We do offer a cut out option in our seats for the R3 which helps keep the device from rubbing on your lower back. Cameron lets make sure we modify Heidi's seat with the cut out.

TyBo1001

The HANS can be used with any seat, but the belts are what makes it effective. If your belts are not setup correctly the HANS is useless. The complaint I heard about HANS and suspension seats is that when your belts move or loosen while racing, then the HANS is then not as effective. Me personally, I went with the R3 so I would not encounter this issue if I rode in another car with suspension seats or if the belts were not properly spaced. I would definitely recommend it.

D-rek

Not true about the Hans requiring a tub seat, the Hans is the only device I can attest to working properly when it mattered most. You know what seat I use and after the violent crash on Sunday at LDC this year, while my chubby body hurt everywhere else, I had no neck soreness at all.

We do offer a cut out option in our seats for the R3 which helps keep the device from rubbing on your lower back. Cameron lets make sure we modify Heidi's seat with the cut out.
I am curious how the HANS works in a suspension style seat. If you compress the seat the belts loosen and I would have to believe that this going to allow neck movement. I am not an expert by any means but I am in engineer. I could see it working in a roll over situation but not in a bottoming out forward situation

DBMETALWORX

i am curious how the hans works in a suspension style seat. If you compress the seat the belts loosen and i would have to believe that this going to allow neck movement. I am not an expert by any means but i am in engineer. I could see it working in a roll over situation but not in a bottoming out forward situation
a suspension seat??? You quoted "mastercraft"...... I think he was quite clear.

D-rek

I am asking a question. You cannot deny the fact that belts will loosen up when the seat compresses...A HANS device relies on the belts being tight.

30 Racing

I am asking a question. You cannot deny the fact that belts will loosen up when the seat compresses...A HANS device relies on the belts being tight.
It's a valid question, the Hans does rely on the harness being snug and the belts being prepped (narrowed). I also added a velcro sternum strap to assist in keeping the belts properly positioned. But the reality is the other devices rely on the restraints also to work effectively. Yes our suspension seat does move some depending on the severity of the G-load, but not enough in my opinion to diminish the Hans effectiveness in a crash. I'm sure the other devices would have provide adequate protection during my crash at Laughlin, I'm just saying the Hans has worked remarkably well for me.

Robbie

M.Harvey1600

But the reality is the other devices rely on the restraints also to work effectively.
not entirely true... the R3 passed SFI 38.1 tests using both belts and without... thats why it is recommended for off shore boat racing and go karts that dont use seat restraints... yet it is SFI approved...

Forty1Racing

doesnt the R3 get uncomfortable with in the seat with the back brace deal?

sloride

We have had great success in using and selling the Leatt Brace. This brace is very mobile and offers great support.

Check it out on our site ProComm Leatt Brace

The Leatt Brace is an excellent choice. Very comfortable, easy to work in and offers excellent restraint.

Just to add that the pic that ProComm posted is the old style. The new style attaches to the helmet using cam locks and not to the neck strap of the helmet.