• Forum membership has its advantages....

Need a new axle

blind655

I’ve got a suburban with a 10-bolt rear end. A while back i bent it and had it repaired. Now the places where they welded are cracking all around the axle and leaking fluid. Now fed up with this axle I’m looking to get a new one. Just wanted to get some opinions about what to get. I was thinking about a GM 12-bolt, Ford 9", or a Dana 60. So if you could give my your opinions that would be great.

Thanks
Mike

Here is a pic of the axle.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by blind655 on 05/28/01 05:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Hello Mike,
One thing you need to do is stop using the old rear end ASAP !! The factories do not use the pressed-in-and-welded-tube design to save money. This is done to avoid catastrophic failure. Welding the tubes like the ones you have create a tremendous stress-riser. (This basically means localizing stress into a very small area or point) Any time tubes are welded to the differential housing there should be additional gusseting or "boxing" to spread out the stress.

The rear ends you mentioned are all good and should be easy to find.
Take care,
Chuck

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
How much cash do you want to spend and what are you using the Sub for? Everyday driver? Go with somthing that will bolt right it and save all kinds of money. Want to spend some $$$$ and be able to beat it a little, go with the 9 inch. Are you planning to do the work yourself?

Shaun
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/ez/ezpi_cooldude.gif</A>">

blind655

Gusset eh? sounds good. I'm going to Currie to look at a Ford 9 in a few days.So we will see how thing work out.

Later

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I would check out J&S Gear Co. in Huntington Beach (714)841-4545, they have done lots of work for me and they really know rear end stuff and their prices are always very reasonable.

Shaun
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/ez/ezpi_cooldude.gif</A>">

drtdevil93

i have been very happy with my currie built 9". i also have had good luck with the detroit true-trac differential. I have a lot more traction than i did with a limited slip, and didnt feel any difference (other than a ton more traction) on the street. no clicking, no steering irregularities. it was a massive overkill for my toyota, but its one less thing to worry about.

good luck,
erik