• Forum membership has its advantages....

Need help and info on Class 12 Car

CZLou

I picked up this Class 12 car and am hoping to get it ready for the 2015 NORRA race and possibly a couple of local races. Was told it's a Raceco, a Chapparel, or possibly a Mirage. Just trying to get some info on this car, whether anyone knows of its past owners or history, what kind of frame it has, etc. I've been racing dirt bikes and now it's time to come over to the cage. So I'm also wondering if there is anyone in the OC, SD, LA, and Inland Empire areas who wouldn't mind giving a newbie some help and advice on Class 12 cars.

Attachments

Rick 1634

Congrats on new purchase. Looks to be a 1980's model chassis with updated steering and suspension. From the rear cage construction, I'm guessing a Mirage.

CZLou

Yes, The frame has been updated a few times. By the looks of it. I think your right about being a 80's frame style, from what i've seen on Trackside Photo.

jsallenbach

Thats definitely a mid 80's Raceco right there. The back "beauty bar" is a tell tale sign. The way the side jets out by the driver and passenger is another indicator. Probably a 10 car back in the 80's.

rocky4by

I'm also new here, and I am glad to see your post about getting into a class 12 car. I really hope class 12 will live on, that is a very nice clean car you picked up, anything I learn along the way with our car, I'll be happy to share. Here is a photo of the one I'm getting.

Attachments

Rick 1634

I'm also new here, and I am glad to see your post about getting into a class 12 car. I really hope class 12 will live on, that is a very nice clean car you picked up, anything I learn along the way with our car, I'll be happy to share. Here is a photo of the one I'm getting.
Wasn't that car retrofitted with a water cooled 2.0 engine? Would make it a class 10 or Bitd class 1100, not legal in class 12.

rocky4by

Yes a new 2.0 engine and Bitd class 1100 is where the car fits in best. I have a brand new 2110 that I may switch in and out to run in the SNORE and other series class 12 races. At first I was concerned what class the car fit into but really you can run it most anywhere, sportsman class, class 10 probably at a handy cap against a-arms and bigger engines.

CZLou

Would you mind sharing info on your band new 2110 motor? I have a Fat 1835 motor in it now and was thinking about a 2110 to help the cost down a little. I plan to run a 2275 for NORRA.

RaptorLou

Agree Raceco and 80's vintage. looks in good shape. Fuel cell?? you could run the 1835 while you build up your 2110, may have to re-gear depending on what is in there.....

rocky4by

I don't remember all the specs, it was built a little while back, but Darren at DRD did the heads and Steve Hollingsworth in AZ did all the block work, it is built on a fuel injected block,he bronzed sleeved the lifter bores full flow oil setup and other stuff I don't remember, DPR supplied the crank and I beam rods. The main thing I do remember was it was a pain in the #%^&* to get all the parts and the work and phone calls back and forth, also this went on for like 6-8 months, and cost a boat load of money. The good news is I think it will be a great engine

CZLou

Rocky, I was thinking a 2110 would be a little easier on the wallet, Than the hipo 1835 that is in it now. Being that it's a older car. I think it still would work ok for class 12. Probably not in the top 10 ,but not in last either. Having the fuel cell done now at Harmon. The 091 gears are rp 4.57 1st 3.49 2nd 2.25 3rd 1.75 4th 1.35 just rebuilt from wright gearbox. That's from the paper work i got with the car. I hope the ratios are in the ball park. My ears are open for all advice on how to make this a better car and help me get out on the track.

RaptorLou

I have a majors 2110 in mine, re-caming it to my liking right now. 2110 will like a larger header tube than 1835. The gear sets look to be what most run for 12 cars. Cell going to have tunnel in it? Also could not help notice that rear wheels are close to the front pivots, so arms are fairly short. Did it have midboards or stubs?
Oh, and best of luck and happy holidays!!!

CZLou

Thank's for the advice. Yes, the fuel cell has a tunnel. 25 gal. tank. Yes the arms do seem a little short. They have stubs axles. Could you give me some pointers on cams? I have always ran 110/120 cams in my 2275 sandrails. What should i be looking for cam wise for a 12 car? Low mid or rpm?

jsallenbach

Are 12 car was originally built as a prerunner in 84 by Raceco for my dad. We had several podiums within the last couple years at local races. Short rear arms, regular stub axles, short front arms and shock towers. We pulled 16 inches of rear travel out of it. Had a bus box done by Kevin Pirtle at transwest. Fat performance did our engine 2120 class 1100 Bitd legal. Very fun and easy driving engine. Low end torque made it like a 4 stroke in the tight technical stuff, and made good top end power as well. We hit 85mph at Parker on the graded roads. That car you have there will do very well at any race you go to.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

CZLou

Wow! Sounds like the car will do just find. Now it depends on me and my check book. lol . Is your motor a 2120 or 2110 or is that the biggest your can go? 82x90.5 or 76x94 or ? 85 mph Wow that's Fast. Can i ask what cam and gear ratios your are running?

jsallenbach

The engine can not go over 2120cc's for 2 seat cars. I would have to look up the gear ratio I have it written down somewhere. As far as cams and internal engine parts I don't want to mention anything in the open. Fat has a really good package for the 2120 and the engine last. Very reliable and easy on parts. As always there service is top notch.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

CZLou

That's what i thought on the motor. Not over 2120. Fat has always been top notch. But a little out of my league. $$$.