Need help choosing right bypasses fpr 97 Chevy LT

VegasChevyLT

So I've got a 97 Chevy 1500 extra cab that I had a long travel kit built for and I currently have a set of 14" racerunners up front but need to add bypasses. I've never had bypasses and this is the first time I've been able to build a truck like this so I have no idea how to choose the right ones for what I need.
So uses for the truck, i daily it but would like to take it out in the desert often. I live in Vegas and mainly run the desert around Boulder City.
I have yet to build the back of the truck but will be in the very near future. Planning on linking it.

But for now, I need to pick a bypass for the front. So do I need 3 tube and a bunch of expensive add ins or will a 2 tube work fine? And should I run 14" since my coilover is 14 or a 12"? How would I measure and go about determining what to run?

BTFfabrication

Did you beam it? 14” coil overs on an a arm truck is way too long, unless it’s center mounted. Typical LT a arm kits use a 10” coilover. I think we need a little more info to help you out.

VegasChevyLT

Not beamed. Just a arms. The people I bought it from had a j arm kit they built but it was all messed up so I had a shop build a new kit and 14" coilovers are what they had on it so I kept them on. Forum keeps saying the pictures I try to upload are too big so I'll try to post some when I get off work today

Travisfab

Before going any further, I would highly suggest removing the coil springs, discharging the shocks, and cycling the suspension. I'm not going to far out on a limb here to say that a 14" shock is probably way too long for your application.

VegasChevyLT

Well the racerunners are already blown. Ordering new seals to rebuild them this weekend so as far as discharge, already done lol I'll take the coils off and do that. What I looking for as far as knowing when they've cycled as far as they should?

BTFfabrication

Take the nitrogen out of the shock, take the coils off and put the shock back in the front suspension. Take the nitrogen out of the bumpstop if you have an air bump and then get a jack and fully compress and droop out the suspension. This will let you see how much shaft of the shock you are actually using. Pictures would help, but you might think about using those 14” shocks for the rear.
( you said you might link it) and get some 10” coilovers for the front and redo your shock hoops. Yes it does sound like a lot of extra unnecessary work, but that’s what happens when you buy something from someone that didn’t build something properly or you don’t know enough yourself. I’ve seen lots of people that know just enough to really get themselves in trouble.

Bert is my name

With a 14" shock it sounds like they are laid way over. Motion ratio is probably all jacked. If this is the case, your suspension will be getting softer as the suspension cycles up. Not a good thing. I would definitely address the shock length issue prior to buying new shocks. Ideally the shock will be close to 90 degrees to the arm at full bump. With a laid over shock the shock will pivot in the mount instead of compressing basically making the shock ineffective at absorbing the bumps.

gwizz

who told you that you "need" a bypass. not against it, but i would make sure your blowing through your existing shocks/cant sort tuning issues any further with valving changes before you really commit. it sounds like you blew out the shocks and went somewhere to get them rebuilt? blowing through the shocks isnt blowing them out fyi.

can you post pics of the set up? also i agree that the 14" is probably waaay to long but the picture will tell more.

picking a bypass is alot more complicated than just choosing the number of tubes.

diameter and placement of the tubes are importiant for one. then the overall diameter of the shock, motion ratio of how its mounted.

jon coleman

by passes u need are the ones you can by cheap from the other guy who bought the ' wrong ones', if u get a smoking deal, and your new to the ' bypass' experience, & you have a competent fab guy, it should be Much better than smoothies until you get up to tt pilot status...or sXs level racer status, i always see my dream shox on rdc classifieds