Need help for one of our soldiers!!

1wayne

Reaction
To my RDC family we are in need of some help for one of our soldiers in Iraq.

I'm writing this thread to help my future son-in-law with a sand car build he is doing for one of his best friends who was wounded while defending our country in Irag.

Here is his story...

One of my best friends Travis is a soldier in the National Guard. After serving in the army for 7 years he took a two year break and joined the reserves to get deployed to fight for our freedom. He left for Iraq about 7 months ago. While he was away his wife and I decided to suprise him and build a sand car. He knows about the car because his wife and I couldn't keep a secret and wanted to find out exactly what he wanted in his car.

Unfortunately his MRAP was hit by a bomb a couple weeks ago. He did loose a couple fingers, few broken bones, lots of shrapnel, fractured skull, and eye damage. Travis is now back in the United States, currently in the hospital in Washington D.C. So far, his recovery is going very well and they expect him to be home in about 6-8 weeks.

We are hoping to finish the car completely before him and his wife come home from the hospital and suprise them both. They were still planning on spending a couple grand this finish it but I'm not sure how money will be for them when he gets back so right now the car is probably on hold until the water settles. My future son-in-law would love to hand them a complete car and have it sitting in their garage when they get home. Its going to be a lot of work but we think we can get it done.

Here is what we have...

We got a 1992 4 seat sand cars unlimited frame as a roller. It came with 3 x 3s and king coilovers in the rear and a warrior beam with fox shocks in the front. I since have put in a built 091 and a Subaru 2.0. Its much more work than it started out to be but the Subaru made it much more difficult to build. So far I have made a new engine cage, new motor and trans mounts, mounted the cooling system, beefed up the steering and fixed some misc things. I'm going to work on the front end next with some longer arms, coilovers, and some sort of instrument cluster.

Here is what we still need...

-Longer front trailing arms,spindles
-Set of good lights (i have a few old pairs of jackmans if I cant find him something)
-10" travel coilovers (i do have some springs laying around)
-Fuel pump for fuel injected motor like a bosch pump
-Some -6 fuel lines and fittings
-A whip
-electric autometer oil and water gauges, and a mechanical boost gauge (motor already has sending units for the electric autometers)
-rear dirt tires and wheels (either 31" at tires or desert tracks)
-rear paddles and wheels (1300s)
-powder coat or paint
-hi torque starter for an 091

If anybody has stuff laying around that would be awesome if they could help out even if they can just give me good deals on stuff. I do have some stuff of mine that I can trade too to get him parts like an oil cooler with fan, 8" fox shocks, some billet buggy stuff, paintball gun, and some other stuff.

I have attached some pictures of the car so far. As well as some pics of Travis in Iraq.

If anyone would like to help we would greatly appreciate it. My name is Wayne and I can be contacted at 619-252-3630. Or you can PM me.

If you would like to help we would like to get your contact info as well so we can tell Travis who everyone was that helped out.

Thank you for your time

Attachments

dwasser

Reaction
To my RDC family we are in need of some help for one of our soldiers in Iraq.

I'm writing this thread to help my future son-in-law with a sand car build he is doing for one of his best friends who was wounded while defending our country in Irag.

Here is his story...

One of my best friends Travis is a soldier in the National Guard. After serving in the army for 7 years he took a two year break and joined the reserves to get deployed to fight for our freedom. He left for Iraq about 7 months ago. While he was away his wife and I decided to suprise him and build a sand car. He knows about the car because his wife and I couldn't keep a secret and wanted to find out exactly what he wanted in his car.

Unfortunately his MRAP was hit by a bomb a couple weeks ago. He did loose a couple fingers, few broken bones, lots of shrapnel, fractured skull, and eye damage. Travis is now back in the United States, currently in the hospital in Washington D.C. So far, his recovery is going very well and they expect him to be home in about 6-8 weeks.

We are hoping to finish the car completely before him and his wife come home from the hospital and suprise them both. They were still planning on spending a couple grand this finish it but I'm not sure how money will be for them when he gets back so right now the car is probably on hold until the water settles. My future son-in-law would love to hand them a complete car and have it sitting in their garage when they get home. Its going to be a lot of work but we think we can get it done.

Here is what we have...

We got a 1992 4 seat sand cars unlimited frame as a roller. It came with 3 x 3s and king coilovers in the rear and a warrior beam with fox shocks in the front. I since have put in a built 091 and a Subaru 2.0. Its much more work than it started out to be but the Subaru made it much more difficult to build. So far I have made a new engine cage, new motor and trans mounts, mounted the cooling system, beefed up the steering and fixed some misc things. I'm going to work on the front end next with some longer arms, coilovers, and some sort of instrument cluster.

Here is what we still need...

-Longer front trailing arms,spindles
-Set of good lights (i have a few old pairs of jackmans if I cant find him something)
-10" travel coilovers (i do have some springs laying around)
-Fuel pump for fuel injected motor like a bosch pump
-Some -6 fuel lines and fittings
-A whip
-electric autometer oil and water gauges, and a mechanical boost gauge (motor already has sending units for the electric autometers)
-rear dirt tires and wheels (either 31" at tires or desert tracks)
-rear paddles and wheels (1300s)
-powder coat or paint
-hi torque starter for an 091

If anybody has stuff laying around that would be awesome if they could help out even if they can just give me good deals on stuff. I do have some stuff of mine that I can trade too to get him parts like an oil cooler with fan, 8" fox shocks, some billet buggy stuff, paintball gun, and some other stuff.

I have attached some pictures of the car so far. As well as some pics of Travis in Iraq.

If anyone would like to help we would greatly appreciate it. My name is Wayne and I can be contacted at 619-252-3630. Or you can PM me.

If you would like to help we would like to get your contact info as well so we can tell Travis who everyone was that helped out.

Thank you for your time

I have (3) 9" Hella 1000s that I would be willing to give up for free. I took them off my pre-runner and don't need them. Let me know if you want them.

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
If you give me names of parts manufacturers/suppliers etc, I will write asking letters and make phone calls asking for donations. I'm more familiar with the morotcycle side of racing but will do what I can to help.

Kim 760-475-0409

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
^^^^ don't threaten KIM with a good time!!! :D .....

great job guys!!... it's good to see people doing things just to put a smile on another persons face! keep up the good work !

1wayne

Reaction
Thank you, Mike at Vee Parts in El Cajon for the tail lights.

punkur67

Reaction
Thanks Wayne for helping out with Travs car. And thanks to everyone else for helping.

BGRANT

Reaction
I have paddles on aluminum wheels sitting in my shed in Cali you can have. They are a wide 5. I think I will be down that way in a couple of weeks and could get them out if you want to meet in North SD County.

punkur67

Reaction
Thanks a ton! Let me know when you want to meet up, and I can come pick them up.

1wayne

Reaction
A big thank you to Doug at Drive for the 3 Hella 4000 lights. Thank you so much for your HELP!

dwasser

Reaction
A big thank you to Doug at Drive for the 3 Hella 4000 lights. Thank you so much for your HELP!
No problem.

I talked to Chris at Powder1 this morning. He is willing to help out with the powder coating you need done. Give him a call.

Powder1
705 Greenfield Drive
El Cajon, CA 92021

Phone: 619-588-9200
Fax: 619-593-8155
Email: info@powder1.com

punkur67

Reaction
Here he is getting his purple heart. I still need lot of stuff to finish his car if anybody can help out at all. I know times are hard but anything will help

Attachments

Total Loss

Reaction
Props to you guys donating.
I wish I had something of use to send.
Dezert Karma will come your way...

BGRANT

Reaction
Thanks a ton! Let me know when you want to meet up, and I can come pick them up.
Got hurt and probably won't be down in Cali next week. I will make sure I have a friend get them out of my storage and drop them at my inlaws house in Esco to be picked up.
The least I could do for one of our boys in uniform.

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
What else is needed, I have spare parts for our 10 car in boxes.But I was thinking we should start doing something like opening an account and have people put in whatever they can even if its 10 bucks and it will all add up.Since he lives in Calif. how about McKenzies.I can call Quinn and see about setting something up under his name with you as an authorized and I will put the first $50 in.Come on my racing off-road brothers and sisters are you in this young man was willing to give his life for our freedom. Let me know

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
What else is needed, I have spare parts for our 10 car in boxes.But I was thinking we should start doing something like opening an account and have people put in whatever they can even if its 10 bucks and it will all add up.Since he lives in Calif. how about McKenzies.I can call Quinn and see about setting something up under his name with you as an authorized and I will put the first $50 in.Come on my racing off-road brothers and sisters are you in this young man was willing to give his life for our freedom. Let me know
I'm all in! NO wait!! Not all in, but an address & a name to make a
check out to???

(I do happen to have "access" to a machine shop, in case needed.)

Thanks for your service, Trav!:cool:

kim

Rescue 3
Reaction
Trav,

Saying "Thank You" for your service and sacrifice seems so miniscule at a time like this. Please be assured that it is heartfelt and this proud American and the others like me on this board are so greatful for your service. You and your family must know that we, as a group will do everything we can to aid in your recovery and rehabilitation.

Looking forward to meeting you and thanking you in person one day.

***The only thing harder than being a Soldier is loving one***
RIP WO1 Eric S. Mounsey KIA 4/14/1994

Last edited:

B-Dub 1020

Reaction
Have a call in with info to set up an account with $50 in it. Will post after verification its set up and how to contribute.Stay tuned

BGRANT

Reaction
I have a 15 Gal. dump can I will leave with the wheels if you or anybody else could use it.