Need Help with Cognito Upper Control Arms

VdellaV

Hello, Everyone.

I need some help !!

My Truck is a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd (Pics Below). Front Suspension Mods are:
-Front Lift Spindles 3" Lift, 2" Wider Trac on each side
-Bilstein 5100 shocks (set to stock ride height)
-No Sway Bar

My Upper Ball Joints started to have play in them, and since GM engineers decided to make the whole UCA and Ball Joint One Piece, Im currently looking into changing them for Cognito Boxed UCAs (PN UCAK100047)

The benefit im looking for is having a serviceable part, along with cheaper Ball Joint Replacements

My doubts begin when noticing aftermarket UCAs compensate for alignment and caster when the control arms are extended down with a Coil spacer lift, Since My control arms are in a stock height position, while the wheel mounting is just offset down.

So the question is, Will Installing Aftermarket UCAs on a "Stock Ride Height" Truck have any negative effect on the Camber of my tires ?

I undestand after installing them, i will need to do an allignment and everything, but my truck drives and corners very well (for a truck) and i wouldnt want to upset the camber on it.

Insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

-Vicente

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

jeff

I'd recommend you call Cognito and ask them how much, if any, additional camber or caster is built into their design. Some companies keep the same control arm dimensions as the OE part and simply alter the angle the ball-joint (or uniball) is installed in the arm. Altering the ball-joint mounting angle on the arm allows the use of Moog or similar cheapo ball-joints on vehicles equipped with a raised suspension ride height. Doing this allows an inexpensive ball-joint to solve the ball-joint bind associated with "lifted" vehicles or those that have increased the amount of rebound travel (extended travel coilover, top mount spacer, etc).

Aloha

Bert is my name

How often are you changing ball joints?
If the truck has a spindle lift only I don't see the need for the cognito arms. Are you wearing the factory ones out in a shorter amount of time since the lift? On a full size truck I would expect wear to be noticeable around 50 to 60 thousand miles. Less if the truck is being driven in the dirt. But I don't see that as a trade off if you get a funky alignment after installing the cognito arms. Ready lift makes a set for that truck as well. Might be better suited for your needs.

VdellaV

How often are you changing ball joints?
If the truck has a spindle lift only I don't see the need for the cognito arms. Are you wearing the factory ones out in a shorter amount of time since the lift? On a full size truck I would expect wear to be noticeable around 50 to 60 thousand miles. Less if the truck is being driven in the dirt. But I don't see that as a trade off if you get a funky alignment after installing the cognito arms. Ready lift makes a set for that truck as well. Might be better suited for your needs.
This will be the first time (the truck has around 30k miles)

Also, recently, I hit a curb and ruined the 2 wheels on the passenger side and the noise in the UCA got a bit worse.

Long story short, Agreeing with Jeff, I now believe getting a new stock UCA would be the better choice, since im running my stock suspension geometry

Bert is my name

The Napa premium ball joints used to be made by Spicer. Ran them on an s10 2wd that saw air time at least once a week. Ripped the upper control arms off the frame , broke both front springs I'm glamis. Never had a ball joint failure. I don't know if they are still Spicer but I would look for those or the a.c. Delco arms for your truck. Goog has two product lines. The better stuff is made in Mexico but it still isn't as nice as the Spicer stuff.

fastback180

Caster change through suspension cycle is minimal on on 07+ GM 1500's. There for the need for added caster built into an aftermarket arm is also minimal. 1-2 degree's of added caster will also help you, not hurt you.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking at the Camburg Engineering UCA's.

Just my two cents ;)