Need help with Stock class runs

oneleglance

Reaction
So I read the Stock class rules and have some questions....
The idea is to take a 2017 midsize truck and do the bare min to race in the 1000 this fall, will also do some SCCA Rallies, NORRA and a few other events. Pure fun, not trying to set records :)

Roll cage of course, with harness tabs.
Nav stuff
However I would like to keep fuel system factory and not have to add a new fuel cell tank with new fuel pump as I worry how that would tie into a stock ecm setup.
So anyone familar with the rules enough to offer advice on what the very least has to be done to qualify for stock class?

Yes I know the truck wil get beat up,
Yes I know it would be cheap to race in 11 or UTV or buy a buggy,
Yes I know that I am crazy, and all that.....so let's accept the concept and see what happens :)

J Prich

Reaction
Start by reading the rules for applicable classes in the series you would want to run?

Reaction
Nah, start with learning all the rules that apply to ALL the classes.

TRichards

Reaction
Read the rules for general safety. Yes you will need a fuel cell and seats and belts. Check the weight of the vehicle to get the right size tubing. With a stock midsize truck you most likely need 2" 4130 or DOM. Get 4x4 if you can. Get good leaf springs and good shocks. See Camburg build for their 7300 Toyota.

oneleglance

Reaction
Oh I read the rules....but I was in hopes that a rig could be run more stock than not in order to showcase quality factory builds.
A roll cage of course with belts...
But after that once you start changing to fuel cells (and dealing with all the ecm issues that could arise), racing seats and more it becomes less interesting and much more expensive.

Oh well I guess this is why the Class 11 and cheap buggies keep going, much less money overall.

J Prich

Reaction
7300 in BITD is what you're describing. I don't know what SCORE class is comparable but you could run the 1000 in Class 2000 or open sportsman, etc.

J Prich

Reaction
And also, "cheap" is kind of relative, isn't it? Realistically you're looking at what, $25-30k to drive a 2017 midsize off the lot? THEN cut it up and add cage work and whatever other bare minimum stuff you want to do it? Then spend a significant chunk on entering those events with a vehicle that is marginally capable of surviving it all?

If cost is a concern is seems that you could find any number of already built, capable race vehicles for sale for a lot less than what you're proposing to do here. Not trying to be an internet naysayer, just saying what you're describing doesn't sound "cheap" to me at all, but maybe I'm on the lower end of the economic spectrum.

vegasloki

Reaction
In terms of safety you'll need at a minimum seats, restraints, cell and cage plus the other bits from the rulebook. No way around that. It's a bit late to start a first time build for the 1000. If you want to finish the race or not time out you'll need some suspension. You are going to need at least a mid travel suspension and even that may be borderline for a truck that big. That may be in the neighborhood of $5k a corner. You'll need some tires and wheels and enough clearance in your body work to run those tires. If you have to pay for the fab, retail for the parts and truck you could be at $100k pretty easily. Lights, tools, spares, chase and pit costs can add up.

Now you'll need your nav, radio and the driver/co dawg safety bits. You could be $5k into that without breaking a sweat. You can cheap out on the safety gear but it's not worth it. The Medevac from Ensenada to SD is going to be more than that.

Were I in your position I'd call Pistol Pete @BANNED4LIFE here on the forums. After he rants about your original idea get him to quote you on a full arrive and drive. I'm sure he'll do his best to make sure you finish the race and don't kill yourself in the process. You won't have a truck after all is said and done but unless you build your truck the right way with the right parts you probably won't have much of a truck worth using once the 1000 eats it up.

retroblazer

Reaction
Class 3 would be an option. With the new suspension rules, there is plenty of room to build a good general purpose race car.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

jeepspeedcom

Reaction
Like 3 Amigos say. After racing everything from stone stock Jeeps to Le Ducs Jeep Trophy Truck we came up with Jeepspeed. The basic Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700 is the way to go for you.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Look at the factory Raptor program that Foltz leads up; you won't find a more stock vehicle than that truck. No offense, but unless you are the factory, trying to race a factory truck is a retarded idea.