Need more droop/articulation, shackles?

phorensic2k

Reaction
I just got done removing the add-a-leafs in my rear springs. The ride is now back to a perfect stiffness, instead of a wild, bucking ride. I only have a 2wd, but sometimes I like to do a little 4x4ing (yeah, shutup). My axle can compress all the way to the frame (need to put on some bump stops), but the droop is seriously lacking. If I put on longer shackles will I get more droop? Should I keep the shackle mount in the same place? I understand if I put on longer shackles it will lift my truck, how much lift per inch of extra shackle? I do need more lift, I just got hung up on a boulder getting a little articulation happy last night.

96 GMC Sonoma. Fabtech 3.5" spindles, Fabtech shocks F&R, Glassworks fenders, 31" Futura mudders.

cleartoy

Reaction
Longer shackles will give more lift and drop.

Usually, you get half as much lif at the extra length of shackle. For instance, a 2" longer shackle would give about 1" lift.

Id say a 2-3" shackle should work ok in the stock location.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
You'll get the same ammount of droop out of any leaf regargless of shackle length. You will gain ride height and and a small increase in upward travel. The axle will only drop as much as with the original shackle. A leaf will not droop much more than the arc it has at rest (off the vehicle) My leafs have a 7" arc. Plus sag at ride height around say, 3". I would end up with 10" of droop. Your best bet would be a ]Revolver shackle. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.teraflex.com>www.teraflex.com</A>
<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab</font color=yellow>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
From teh sounds of your setup it sounds as if your current springs are going negative...big no no!

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have heard thats it not good and heard that its no big deal going to a negitive arc. 1/2 ton Chebby leafs are cheap. Only use about 2" of up travel into the negitive, so I'll wait and see.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Negative arc will seriously reduce the life of your leafs but more importantly,
at the point they go negative, the spring rate jumps way up which results in
a kick unless you have a bypass shock with the bypass location and valving
setup to dampen this huge spring rate. Avoid negative arch on leafs.

COChev

Reaction
depends on his shackle angle at ride hight. if it is angled back quite a bit with the weight of the truck on the suspension, a longer shackle will extend more once the suspesion is unloaded. the revolvers offer lots of droop but i've heard they are sketchy at speed and unload in corners. might want to run some kind of panhard bar with em.

drtdevil93

Reaction
negative arch is not good unless the spring was designed for it. mine go about 3-4 " negative at full bump. they can do this because they are deaver springs designed to go through hell. tacoma springs also go negative, with limited success, but a decent lifetime. we have fixed more broken stock tacoma springs than is usual, but thats more from the overload spring they use.

remember, things like revolver shackles, etc... they are cheap ways to accomplish the goal. i would recommend you look into getting a set of springs first, and really consider it. if you decide you cant afford it, then thats ok, but you dont want to go running around looking for bolt on travel unless you need to. and it may end up costing you more in broken parts and crashes.

erik

phorensic2k

Reaction
I know it's an oxymoron, but what is the best and cheapest way to get more travel out of my rearend? I wanna do it the right way, but money probably won't permit. How much can I pick up a set of Chevy fullsize springs for? How much will it cost in accessories to get them mounted? (hidden costs) How much can I pick up a new set of Deavers, or any other brand that's suggested, for my app.? New springs would neccessitate new shocks, which I don't really wanna spend the money on, but I know are needed anyway. I have about an inch of extra extension left in my craptech shocks and I was just wondering if a longer shackle would be able to take advantage of that.

On another note, my springs do go into negative arch, but I don't bottom them out when doing full throttle runs on dirt (my truck just can't do that, hehe). I only bottom them out when "crawling". So maybe I can just mount a bump stop that will stop the springs from traveling any further than 1-2" past flat.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I got my Chebby leafs for $50 for the set. And I made my own front and rear mounts and shackles. The reason I used them is I too am on a limited budget. Not really much increase in travel, but the softness of the leafs minus the overload cannot be beat for the $$$ I am using used 10 " Doetsch tech MV 12's with limit straps.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/>http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/chevyswap/</A>

drtdevil93

Reaction
yes your 62" toyotas can take about 3" on a regular basis without much of a problem.

erik