Need pictures of bedcages please!

Dillon

Reaction
I'm thinking of either staying under the bed or going through the bed depending on how small I can make a bed cage, but anyways, if YOU have a bed cage, post me a picture or two, I need some ideas and a reference point to show these Oklahoma welders on what to do as they just scratch their heads when I stop by and ask, they can't understand why I would go through bed, but whatever.

Anyways, pictures please! :)

Also, I'd like to see how people integrate it into a cab cage, my bonus is coming soon and I need to buy stuff! :)

Dillon

In_the_works

Reaction
I would also appreciate some ideas on bedcage fab. I'm hoping to retain as much usable bed space as possible (removable cross-brace?) So, whatever pics you could post would be handy.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

jarreptolson

Reaction
Let me start by saying that i am not an expert in fabrication, and if my terminology is off well thats my bad. if you are looking to make the cross-braces removable i would as the picture sort of demonstrates put the hoop in shear with the shock. That is to say that the top of the hoop runs straight over the shock on the outside of the frame rail, this is if you have the lower mount on the top of the ubolt plate. This picture is from Richerracing.com if you want to further look into the design. John at Autofab sells a simple bed cage where the rear mount of the bed cage is also on the outside of the framerails, unlike the one designed by richer. I've talked with john awhile ago about this design and he explained that you could remove the cross-brace for regular street driving. Once you want to romp on it though you definately want to put the brace back in. The bed cage autofab sells also has some supports that run to the top of the frame rail about mid way down the cage, with these supports in place minus the cross-brace you are going to have a lot of room in the bed and still be able to run a racing shock and not have to relocate the fuel tank. I would also look at camburgs web site for the removable clamps for the tubing, they are billet i believe and seem top notch. Hope that helps. Jarrett

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I would say check out the web. As Pat has posted. Camburg.com has some good pics, and you will find good shots all over the web. Go to the links section and go from there, Once you are done go to go-desert.com and check out his links.. Do your homework, dont wait for ideas to come to you.

Dillon

Reaction
I've seen a good majority of the fab shop sites and prerunner sites, just trying to see what would work best for me, I'm mostly looking to do something with a removable crossbrace so I can use my bed. I also don't really know whta the limits are to mounting a shock (in regards to angle mounted in relation to axle mount) so I'm trying to get an average by using pictures and going with that cuz it must be safe. I don't know, I'm just super scared about somebody out here doing it.

Anyways, thanks John as always.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
maybe ryan (bonze2001) could post a pick of his bedcage. i think austin and him made it and i also believe its removable al bolt in. try austins web page www.gobigorgohome.org see it its there

Gregg

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here are the pics of Ryan's cage that I made (a friend Joey made the hoops and I made the rest):

You can see where the whole middle section unbolts up front off the hoops. It also unbolts in the back right off of the bumper. So if you need to carry something big you can just take it out and then bolt it back in. If you needed something to go all the way up you could also make the cross bars on the hoops bolt in.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

orvacian

Reaction
here's my old one! If you look close you can see the exhaust flanges just above the bed, making it removable.

here's the new one! (it is WAY WAY better!!!)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 10/22/02 10:20 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

mattrick88

Reaction
check out camburg's 4130 tube clamps to make the crossmember removable. makes it look really clean. ill attach a pic of them.

desertracer

Reaction
We have those trick clamps on the back of our car, the whole rear cage is re-movable. I think you can get them at Kartek or Mckenzies. They go right in line with the tube and are almost unseen to the eye. The have survived a few nerfs as well.

MDR #112

orvacian

Reaction
I think exhaust flanges cost a lot less, but thats just a guess LOL

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 10/23/02 08:31 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Pick up the newest OFF-ROAD mag, and look at the pics of the black 97 ranger that Advanced (James McAvoy) did. These type bedcages are what Plank was making and the whole rear bumper/tire mount detaches so you can use a lot of the bed. Steve