Need some GPS assistance

trentk

Reaction
I am really new to using GPS's but not new to computers. I am trying to use my dads old Magellan Sportrak Topo to pre run the baja 500. It accepts .trk files and uses the MapSend Topo program.

Score releases the GPS files in .gpx and .usr format. I tried using a free program off the net called easygps to load the gpx file and upload it to my GPS but it says the gpx file has about 16,000 "trackpoints" and my GPS will only hold 2,000.

So I tried using a free program called GPSbabel to convert the file. I succesfully converted the file to .trk and opened it with Mapsend Topo. Within mapsend topo it shows two tracks the one from Ojos to Mike's turn and the 2nd half back to Ojos. When I try to upload the GPS it will only upload one track, it seemed to upload all 8,000 trackpoints but I don't see the track at all in the GPS.

This is all pretty confusing is anyone here good at this stuff?

Do the newer GPS's hold more trackpoints? I was looking on amazon and it says the popular Garmin 60csx only holds 10,000 trackpoints. If that is true how do you guys load these big files? Do you need a larger SD card?

Thanks and sorry for the novel.

Trent

kenaroo

Reaction
Trent..

I don't have experience with your Magellen but we have to do this on our garmin units as well that's why most are running the Lowrance units is because they accept a ton of wpts

try braking up the gps tracks into sections or multiple routes of less than 2000 wpts

sometimes you will have to eliminate some way points to get it to fit.

a good way is break the file in parts at pit stops or major road crossings or towns. As you refuel or stop at the end of the route you then change to the next routes

load them up separately but name them so you know which is which

if your gps uses sd or memory cards.. it's easier to load them up on those as most of the older units have limited embedded memory.

JohnnyAirtime

Reaction
Trent... I see you got some help (from Ken)....

Did you end up getting it to work out for you??

... I used to use a Magellan Sportrak and Meridian, and have all the software... and still have a Meridian that I can test with. But, I think I'm a bit late on helpin' ya out! :rolleyes:

Let me know if you need any assistance.

trentk

Reaction
Johnny, I never got the baja 500 maps to load on the sportrak. it kept saying there were too many data points and it would have been a lot of work to cut it down from 16,000 points to 2000. So I borrowed a friends lowrance H20 and that worked great. Thanks a lot for the offer.