Need some pointers....

Minor805

Reaction
So i recently purchased my 4th Ford Ranger. It's a 1991 that has the 4.0L automatic with electric shift 4x4. Which i am yarding out of it and selling. But this time i'm actually building it into the prerunner style truck I've always wanted. So, any and all pointers/advice would be more than appreciated! What size tubing should i use for the cage, bumpers, etc.? Off of the research I've done so far, i'm figuring 1.75" x ?wall for the cage components, and 2" x .120"wall for the bumpers. Also, I plan on ordering a JDSquared Model 3 bender REAL soon since it will accommodate the 2" tube. Plan on dropping an Explorer 5.0L into her as well, and would love to do as much of the fabrication on my own. I know this is gonna open Pandoras box of insight from people so let er rip!! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 72

jon coleman

Reaction
So i recently purchased my 4th Ford Ranger. It's a 1991 that has the 4.0L automatic with electric shift 4x4. Which i am yarding out of it and selling. But this time i'm actually building it into the prerunner style truck I've always wanted. So, any and all pointers/advice would be more than appreciated! What size tubing should i use for the cage, bumpers, etc.? Off of the research I've done so far, i'm figuring 1.75" x ?wall for the cage components, and 2" x .120"wall for the bumpers. Also, I plan on ordering a JDSquared Model 3 bender REAL soon since it will accommodate the 2" tube. Plan on dropping an Explorer 5.0L into her as well, and would love to do as much of the fabrication on my own. I know this is gonna open Pandoras box of insight from people so let er rip!! Thanks in advance!
gonna race?, if not 1.5 dom done right is plenty, when doing bummpers work your way back, ie dont make a super killer bumper then attach it to a weaker link.if u hit somthing, bummper gets squeeshed first, absorbing energy.me i like .120erw for bumpers.strong enough but a softer tube.hope this help

Minor805

Reaction
gonna race?, if not 1.5 dom done right is plenty, when doing bummpers work your way back, ie dont make a super killer bumper then attach it to a weaker link.if u hit somthing, bummper gets squeeshed first, absorbing energy.me i like .120erw for bumpers.strong enough but a softer tube.hope this help
Not building it to race specifically, but not gonna turn down the chance to if i can. Thanks for the input.

jon coleman

Reaction
do it to score spec and get tagged.more money but is worth more down the road.if racing in its future, dont scrimp then try to make leagal down the road.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I agree with what has been said. If you ever have the intention of racing it, build it correctly from the get go so it can pass tech. Then if you do decide to sell it, it will be worth more as well. Not that it will ever be worth what you invest into it, but that isn't the point is it?

Are you going to make it a 3 seater or just 2? I picked up an idea from someone's build here on RDC where they put the rear part of the cab cage on the outside of the cab. This freed up room on the inside of the cab for what needs to be on the inside. I thought that was a pretty smart idea. I don't know if that would pass a race tech inspection though.

Good luck.

Minor805

Reaction
I agree with what has been said. If you ever have the intention of racing it, build it correctly from the get go so it can pass tech. Then if you do decide to sell it, it will be worth more as well. Not that it will ever be worth what you invest into it, but that isn't the point is it?

Are you going to make it a 3 seater or just 2? I picked up an idea from someone's build here on RDC where they put the rear part of the cab cage on the outside of the cab. This freed up room on the inside of the cab for what needs to be on the inside. I thought that was a pretty smart idea. I don't know if that would pass a race tech inspection though.

Good luck.

Im deff not interested in gettin what i put into it back out of it. I plan on enjoying the fruits of my labor and accomplishing a lifelong dream i have had. Putting the back of the cage outside of the cab is a pretty good idea for sure, but i do plan on following the SCORE specs so i will have to continue to look into that one. And as of for now, even though i am still in the tear down part of my build, i do plan on only having 2 seats in it. Thank you for the input!