Need your thoughts again about this car

1wayne

RDC Crypto
What do think of this find, any info on this car anyone?

Attachments

• 6451198.jpg
    6451198.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 256

luvbaja2

RDC Crypto
Lantana, this is the car you told me about. I bought it, have taken some parts off it to use on the other tandem i bought. You said you were 99% sure it was a tandem. Most people are saying its a Funco but the beam clamps are Hi Jumper. I don't know enough about it to say one way or another. Need bus box. seats, parts and pieces for my tandem. Trades welcome

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
Are there seat mounts or evidence of seat mounts that would have made it a tandem? It looks like a car we had race with VORRA in the 80's that was a stretched Funco or High Jumper. He stretched it for the wheelbase gain.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Looks like either an SS1 or RS1 that was stretched. Was very common in the early 1980s to make shorter cars competitive, especially in the 1600 class. Put a baby seat in the back!

1wayne

RDC Crypto
Lantana, this is the car you told me about. I bought it, have taken some parts off it to use on the other tandem i bought. You said you were 99% sure it was a tandem. Most people are saying its a Funco but the beam clamps are Hi Jumper. I don't know enough about it to say one way or another. Need bus box. seats, parts and pieces for my tandem. Trades welcome
Are you the one that has the ad on Samba?

NORRA129

RDC Crypto
A place in Las Vegas called beattle barn took SS1's and lengthened them into 2 seat tandems. The back seat passenger put his legs along each side of the driver. Darin or Martin sent me a hot VW article about these cars and this one looks like it came from the same place.

luvbaja2

RDC Crypto
This is my car on the Samba. This car has a wheelbase of 102" which is 10" longer than an SS1 at 92". Not enough for a tandem I don't think?. The way I bought it the gas tank sits right behind the driver where a seat might go?. I don't see evidence of seat mounts, seatbelt attachment points, etc. but there has been some mods in this area.

NORRA129

RDC Crypto
I am traveling but will try to post pictures of a SS1 Tandem over the weekend. It looks just like the one in the article. Because of how the passenger is seated, it is similar to how two people ride on a motor cycle and not a lot of room was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Looking at those pics, it wasn't a tandem. The fuel cell is set up where a seat should go. Stretched to handle better.

NORRA129

RDC Crypto
I am still betting on an original Beatle Barn Tandem that was latter used as a stretched single seat car.

Last edited: