Needed - Hossfeld Dies

jeff

Reaction
Well I went to buy a 1.5 and 1.75 180-degree hossfeld die the other day only to find out they are on a backorder of at least four weeks. I stopped by LeDuc's and he no longer stocks them. Williams Low-Buck has none. Heard a rumor that Camburg might have them - haven't got ahold of Jerry yet to find out. I've got the Cal Pre-Fun (LeDuc) bender but no dies. Question is... does anyone know of another place that might have them in stock? I've heard that most of the other benders on the market use a different centering pin that is larger and I don't really want to hassle with creating a sleeve or rigging the bender I've got. Anyone ever tried to use a non-Hossfeld die in a Hossfeld bender? Does anyone have a set of 1.5" and 1.75" 180* they might want to sell or rent? I'm not that picky on radius. I can provide a rental fee and a full replacement cost security deposit for both dies - and if you can only loan one set at a time that works for me too. I'd need to borrow them for at least two weeks, longer if possible.

Many mahalos!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I can order them but it takes a few weeks. Hossfeld wont make them until they are paid. They run the bussines like they are in the 1920's.

jeff

Reaction
Thanks for the info Jerry. As soon as I ditch this cold I'll be swinging by to talk to ya. Sick for a week straight with little improvement until today.

Based on their answering machine message I'd have to agree. I was kicking the idea around of making some "throw away" aluminum dies - anyone tried this route yet?

Aloha

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
You can get aluminum dies, not sure about the draw type benders but I do know that they exist for the "one shot" units.

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

jeff

Reaction
Well a buddy of mine talked to Hossfeld today. The company that does their die casting is behind. He asked her about using 4130 and the Hossfeld rep said don't do it. Hossfeld says their dies are not up to the task of Chromoly. I'm either going to buy a different bender and die set or try to modify the Cal Pre-Fun bender to work with other dies. It seems the Hossfeld stuff is pretty archaic and way behind the times.

I'm trying to get in touch with Dave at Desert Tools - anyone have a good number or know if ever checks his e-mail?

Aloha

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
The hossfield dies work great on 4130 Cro-mo. Don't worry about it. They work better than every other bender I have seen or used.

jeff

Reaction
Jerry,

The only thing I've found with the Cal PreFun style is that sometimes when rotating a bent tube there is more stuff to get in the way than some of the other newer designs. I've used quite a few benders but I've never paid any attention to the source of the dies. Found a place in LA that has a couple in stock - $239 delivered or $209 picked up. Might go that route.

Thanks

Aloha