Nelson & Nelson?

toddz

Reaction
A friend of mine recently told me that Nelson & Nelson built an air-cooled VW rockbuggy for the rockcrawling circuit(saw a few pics of it). What have they been up to since leaving desert racing 5-6 years ago? I knew they were trying to build spec trucks for awhile but hadn't seen anything in quite awhile and figured they had folded? Anyone know anymore?

Todd Z.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
John Nelson is still doing the spec truck thing. He is very involved in it. Very inexpensive way to go spec racing. Turn key package for around 22,000 i believe. I've had several opportunities to go help a friend (Mike Falkosky) do tech inspection at some of the races in Irwindale, etc, but haven't yet.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Where could a person find out more about those spec trucks?

Happy motoring, Tim

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
For Tim and all interested-

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.spectruck.com>www.spectruck.com</A>

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

evan_clanin

Reaction
looks like a fun class to go racing in

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

RacerX

Reaction
If I am correct, I remember hearing that Walker Evans, Jimmy Smith, Frank Vessels and some other names I can remember help start the NASCAR Truck series. Is this totally correct?

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
Anthony-

You are very close.

Jimmy Smith, Frank Vessels, as well as Jim Venable and Dick Landfield, are actually credited with pooling their efforts/resources to develop what is now known as the NASCAR Truck Series. Walker was definitely a player when it came to early competitors in the series.

Heavy hitters in the sport of auto racing, for sure!

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

TimHayosh

Reaction
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they'd gone over to the darkside. Just turnin' left ain't my thang. They look like nice trucks though....

Happy motoring, Tim

RacnCPA

Reaction
This past Saturday night was the season finale at Irwindale. Saw the Nelson truck there, along with Ryan Arcerio (sp?). Previous Glen Helen truck racer Scott Conaway was there too. Had a great time at the Hill Top Real Estate "party on the roof". All racing is good racing!!

Sc

chadrag

Reaction
Don't forget that Larry Ragland and son Chad will be racing in this year's Baja 1000 in a Nelson & Nelson built Trophy Truck named "Arnold."

Chad R.

RacnCPA

Reaction
Very cool Chad. Looking forward to seeing you, Dad and Arnold at the 1000!

Sc