Nerfing

JasonHutter

Reaction
I am posting this after reading the story in the MDR race stories post. I just didn't want to change the subject on that post.

I have heard a lot of stories of people getting nerfed when they can see more than one line around them. Heck, we have been nerfed when there were other lines around us. I guess my point is, when the car is coming up on someone else, they can't see! This is the reason people get nerfed when there are other lines. We have been hit when we pulled over and stopped off the course and the car drove right up behind us and hit us even though we were off the course! I am not saying that it is OK to cave in the rear of someone elses vehicle, but I can see why it happens. I used to get real mad about being nerfed until we got a little faster and started running in other vehicles dust. When you finally catch the car, you don't want to loose them again. It could take another 10 or more miles to catch them again in the dust! We all just need to use a little discression when passing. My .02 cents.

Jason

This is just one of the bumpers we have had to replace. It is dented like you can see in the picture and if the picture was taken from farther back you would be able to see that the left side is about 4 inches higher than the right and the bumper was pinching the spare tire.

martininsocal

Reaction
Jason- It is a tuff call. Many folks don't intentyioanlly hit another car, they just don't realize the speed difference and can't react to slow down fast enough when they finally catch a car, but, there are those who think the chrome horn is all too cool and make sport out of denting bumpers. I was always told the rule of thumb is catch up, go around if there is another line available, if not, horn 'em, and give them a chance topull over. Many seem to think as soon as you lay on teh horn, its ok to whack away. Many of the slower cars can't just jump off the course over the 3 foot berms we have to race through now, and they shouldn't be asked to wreck their car for you advancement. If they don't get out of the way after the oppurtunity presents itself, then TAP them tolet them know you are back there and give them a chance to move over. If they still refuse, then NERF them in a saef area where you won't send them to their death or their cars demise.
What a lot of folks think is...I am faster, they should see that and get out of the way, whatever it takes. Ever try to figure out what is in the dust behind you while reading terrain in front of you? Speed difference can be as much as 40 miles apart in the same terrain depending on who catches who. The slower guys may not have as big a wallet, but they are still racing.

WFODAN

Reaction
Well I guess I'll give my take on nerfing . I am one of the few people that don't mind getting nerfed when I'm holding someone up . I also don't mind giving nerfs when the slower car refuses to move . On the recieving end , I will almost always wait till the car nerfs me just to be sure he can really get infront of me and stay there (unless it's a car that severely outclasses me ) . I have pulled over before for alot of cars I just end up having to pass back within a mile or two . That's what the rear cage of my truck was designed for . Getting nerfed .

On the other hand , I have caught alot of cars that I thought should've moved over for me , and then a different type of terrain came up , and they checked out and were gone on me . I will usually follow for a little while with the horn before I nerf someone ( unless it's a friend ... then they get a nerf for fun) . If I feel they can't get over yet safely , then I won't nerf , but when they just hang infront of me and refuse to move , they get a good nerf . Like I said it doesn't bother me to give or recieve nerfs . I don't abuse anyones car , and I do get even if I feel they abused mine .

When coming up behind another racer in their dust it is sometimes hard to see the other line that the front car can clearly see . That is when most people get upset for being nerfed . They don't understand why the guy behind them nerfed their car when there was another line to use . As Jason said , once you are the faster car coming up in the dust , you understand . You can't see the other line all the time , so I leave it up to the slower car in the front to move over and give me his line .

All in all nerfing is part of our sport . Without it sometimes you might not even know the guy is behind you . I race in a class with a rear window , and my truck is far from quiet , so the horn is something that is never heard from a car behind me . If I don't catch them in the mirror then they can nerf me and It doesn't bother me a bit . When nerfing someone I always just put myself in their position and think of how hard I would want them to nerf me .

Walt

Reaction
I have raced many limited class cars in the score seires along with many other organiations. nerfing in limited classes is a large part of racing. The problem with nerfing is not with cars in your class. For example, A 1600 catching a 7 or a score lite car catching a pro truck. If the pro truck doesnt want to move over then the limited car is screwed. With the weight of a truck there is nothing a buggy can do but wait untill another line is opened up. Hitting the truck will do nothing but tear up the car.This makes limited class racers frustrated and is where aggressive nerfing comes from in my opinion.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Why don't they use a small electronic device that will buzz in the helmet or light up a red light in the dash to warn there is a car behind the racer? These would be cheap. And have a distance like 20-50 ft. I am sure these can be made for $50 or so.

Donahoe

Reaction
Ya know. Nurfing is just a sign of a rookie driver. It dosnt get you by the person in front of you any faster. If you pre-run and know the course you know where you can pass. I have NEVER nurfed anyone is almost 20 years of racing. I have lightly tapped a few guys when my horn was out but never hit someone hard enough to do even a little dimple on a tube. Most guys are to busy RACING in there minds to think during a race so they nurf. I have however hit a few freinds just for fun during a race but never a guy I dont know to try and get by faster.

Josh_K

Reaction
I have to agree with Donahoe, as a personal confessoin, at my first couple of races I nerfed a couple of buggies in my class 8. I had no idea how hard I was hitting them till thay cought me after the race and politly told me. It got me thinking about it and I realize in most cases If somone will prerun the course well they can find a line to pass that most people wont use, and once they really start driving fast they wont have to slow down to nerf the other guy. As a piont at my first score race I was nervous about the trophy trucks coming around and passing us. When thay did catch us they went around us 50 feet off my line and gone so fast that I almost was not in any dust. It was all good driving.

WFODAN

Reaction
Well Kreg , I guess it would really matter what your definition of nerfing is then . To say you don't nerf , but you lightly tap , is still nerfing . Right ?

My definition would be ....... A car making contact with another car to let them know you are there .

This whole time I've been racing and I never even knew there was a speed regulation on making contact with someone before it was considered a nerf . Learn something everyday . LOL!! jk rookie driver .

G

People seem to have gotten a bit carried away with nerfing these days. Nerfing is definitely part of our sport and I've done it hundreds of times, but it seems people are hitting cars much harder and with less patience than in previous years. When I get right behind a car I'll give them a horn and a five count, and if they still don't aknowledge me or pull over I'll give them just enough of a tap to let them know I'm there. 90% of the people will pull right over, and if they don't I'll hit them harder a second time. Lately people seem to be going straight for the the hard hit and doing a lot of damage to the rear of the race cars and even putting people out of races for no reason. It's definitely faster to go around without hitting at all when possible, but when it's required people need to keep a cool head and not drive like its a demolition derby.

martininsocal

Reaction
Dan and Kreg- I guess that is something that I was trying to point out. Letting someone know you are there is way different than punting them off the course. Nerfing is suppose to be telling them you are a faster car behind them and they need to get over at the first possible chance, nerfing is not suppose to be removing them from the course and possibly the race. I have nerfed and been nerfed, I have never hit someone hard enough to do damage, but have hade serious damage done to 2 different race cars by much faster classes during races. Once I got an "I'm sorry..."after the race and the other time we got rolled and the other car(s) didn't even stop to se if we were alright. As was pointed out, the smaller cars lose from either end when it comes to limited buggies vs. Trucks. Whether giving or receiving. It is funny how some folks view the oppurtunity to nerf as the Holy Grail of the desert racing experience. Everyone is racing out there, some just can't go as fast as others due to wallets or rules. That is the biggest thing to remember.

ESB4130

Reaction
i guess theres a few ways to look at it. nerfing your friends for fun, and nerfing in a race. in a race it seems to me to be neccessary at some points. ive never raced trucks before...but motorcycles ive raced plenty, and even with something you dont have a bumper on, id still give the slower riders blocking me a love-tap if they didnt respond to me revving the [daddy didnt love me] outa my bike. i guess it comes down to definition. i consider "nerfing" to be making contact with the vehicle. its too hard to draw a line... (over 25 mph is nerfing..under is tapping...blah blah). however, aggressively ramming someones vehicle at speed with the intent to break something is something altogather different than "nerfing". in a freinds situation where you both know the durability of your vehicles...this practice is not only acceptable to me...its fun. however...with people on the course..thier not going to understand your ramming their shiny new rear bumper into the bed of their truck,and will probably think of you as an @sshole (which...sorry...if your ramming racers you dont know at high speed just to screw them over...YOU ARE AN @SSHOLE). so really...its about who your nerfing and why.

El Chinero

Reaction
<<score lite car catching a pro truck. If the pro truck doesnt want to move over then the limited car is screwed. >>

picture is of me n Vic Bruckmann getting a ProTruck out of the way at Henderson 2002

Attachments

• 60562-Henderson - Huffman Hit.jpg
    60562-Henderson - Huffman Hit.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 408

Walt

Reaction
This is true...........Vic is the only one that i have ever heard threaten the protruck drivers that if they didn't pull over on tap one then tap two would be a rear quarter pannel..........I like that!!!

JasonHutter

Reaction
I have a couple of questions.
How many who race here can say that they can hear a horn behind them in there race vehicle?
How many who race, race and look in their mirrors?
For those who watch their mirrors, how well can you see behind you(with and without dust)?
How far are you willing to follow another slower car when there are no other lines, but places to pull over for the faster car?

Jason

-My answers:
-Can't hear most horns.
-My co-driver checks the mirrors the best he can and when turning corners to see if anyone is coming.
We have a hard time seeing behind us with the spare tires on the car we can barely see over them straight behind us with mirrors, and the ones out the sides we are looking through our window nets.
-We will follow another slower vehicle without caving in their rear, we will however let them know we are there. I suppose it depends on how hard it was to get up behind them as to how long we give them before the "tap/nerf", if it took me 10 to 20 miles to get there because the dust is so thick, I will be more apt to do it right away.

tkr

Reaction
- I have rarely heard horns
- I look in my mirrors occasionally, but not much because...
- unless the vehicle behind me is 1 foot from the rear bumper and slightly to the side I'll never see them.
- After a few miles, I get pretty agitated, but won't go tapping a second time unless I know its pretty safe for them to pull over and let me go by.

Josh_K

Reaction
Dan, have you ever read anything you have wrote after you have written it? You come across the e-mails as a egotistical, arogant, self-proclaimed off-road expert. At least this is how you come across to this rookie.

michael_loomis

Reaction
as a professional co-rider (HEHE) i take responsability for watching out behind us .... only once did i not see the vehicle approach us ( Larry R in little mac , flat out on a graded road vs 1600 car)

fortunately , the guys ive riden with are fast (see comments about vic above ) so i havent had much to lookout for , but if given ample opportunity to move and you dont , then you deserve to be punted where ever you end up ! coming from a limited class , most faster classes dont like it when you catch them , and dont want to let you by , thinking you'll slow them somewhere else . its not until you get them sideways that they pucker up downstairs and realize that maybe your for real.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Josh,

I dont race and dont know too much about off road racing so i shouldnt post but i gotta.

personally i think your comment on Dan is BS why do people feel the need to be an @$$hole on the internet it gets you no where. I thought the Same thing about Dan BEFORE i met him. But now i Pit, chase and help prep With Dan and he is one of the coolest guys I know. Dan is so unlike what you said. he is so generous when it comes to everything we have done.

racing is about having fun and if you feel nerfing is not fun then dont do it. and for those that think Dan rams the I failed spelling outa everyone he passes its not true there is one dent on the bumper and its form a love tap on a friend at rialto i think. but the rear bedcage bumpoer is thrashed i asked him what thats about and hesaid a one car i believe drove in to him. i get to ride when austin is driving sometimes and when we see anyone we get the hell over an i love to use the horn when we pass people so much i get told numerous times to shut up and quit. '

I guess i ll quit now cause i have ranted enough just felt in nessacary (sp) to say what i thought. i might not be undersanding you and your words correctly buti think i got what you were trying to pass on.

Gregg

desertracer

Reaction
When I am riding shot gun, it is really hard to hear a horn from a car behind you. Between the engine noise and the intercom I have never truely heard a horn. The main thing that I try to do is keep my eye in the mirror to catch a view of a car or truck. It is very difficult to see anything in the limited mirror viewing range that we have on our car. Another thing that I often do is look back when we make sharp turns on the course. Did this at the night race when Lesher was catching up in the rough stuff and it worked great. To tell you the truth as the race goes on, I tend to check the mirrors less and less-even thought it should stay the same. I think the fact that we race a 1 car gives us a false sense of security and we don't check as much because we are "usually" passing people. When passing we try to give the driver in front of us enough time to get out of the way and we lay on the horn for a long time. Over the past 4 seasons of racing mdr we have only tapped about 4 or 5 people. We have had opportunities to hit people but when you think about it why should we go around tearing up other peoples cars and trucks when we are out there to have fun, don't get me wrong about racing hard but this is mdr which is mainly for enjoyment.

drtdevil93

Reaction
dan is mean. he hit me during the barstow race, hard enough to take a thin coat of cheap paint off the back of my bumper.... LOL!

my experience is this: i have nerfed a couple times, its to let them know you are there, not to threaten them (for me at least). the first race, my truck became wounded about half way through the race, but was able to continue, just slowly. this was a good lesson for me, because i was probably the slowest thing on the course for those two laps. i kept my eyes glued to the rearview, and got over as soon as possible for EVERYBODY. all the racers that came up behind me where patient with me, i think i made it clear i was trying to get out of the way. there were a couple places where there was nowhere to go for maybe 1/2 a mile, and the racers didnt send me flying off the course.

i think it is screwed up to hit someone enough to cause anything more than cosmetic damage. thats my opinion, though, and i am certainly a rookie when it comes to racing.

and no, ive never heard a horn other than my own.

erik