Nerfing

Jkrell

Reaction
yeah...I second that about Dan....what a jerk that guy is

As for nerfing....I say it kinda adds to the fun....everybody nerfs their buddy when they get a chance, right...so aren't we all kinda buddies out there? Nobodies making money at this sport, thats for sure.....the two races I've done I've got punted by fast one cars a couple times....what happens....first, I get scared and say " WTF"...then, holly hell how do I get off the course...then, I yell at co-driver for not looking in the mirror.....then, pull off the course.....check my underwear to make sure I didn't soil myself...and get back to racing....all part of the pagentry of offroad racing.

In all seriousness nerfing is a part of our sport....I say if the rear bumper is caved in more than 3-6", thats abusive....if not.....I say...check your underwear and get back to racing.

I kinda think we should have madatory nerfing during passes in the prerunner class.....just a thought.

Jon (just another rookie)

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya Dan is a joke. He is the biggest rookie driver there is! Who would help that guy?!? lol

I think most of the prerunner class already has the nerfing rule in effect lol. Its kinda like the doghnut rule.

The Piece is racing the night race and if I catch anyone in the prerunner class they are sure as hell getting nerfed lol. I would expect the same from anyone catching me (not like thats gona happen)

BitorPerformance

Reaction
WELL i Just recently started driving and soon discovered that really hitting people is that fun like it was mentioned before ... no need in messing other peoples cars up, but my dad i guess taught what is a less aggresive aproach to nerfing which is just pushing the car infront of you run up to there bumper slowly and give them a little nudge .... this was shown to my dad when we raced in 5-16 by the herbst truggy they actually pushed the car making it feel lighter that gets ur attention pretty quick. this theory only works on cars smaller or equal in size but i think it will save a few bumpers..... thats my opinion i just started driving so my view may change as the years progress

MikeLeung

Reaction
In 8 years of racing limited cars...I can honestly say I have never heard a horn. With a rear engine its impossible to hear anything.

Looking in the mirror?? Thats my co-drivers job. But with the dust you hardly see anybody.

When racing...I expect the faster car to give me a little tap to let me know they are there...a LITTLE tap. But I too have noticed that nerfing is getting excessive. At this years San Felipe race, I caught a 5 unlimited...he must have broken something cause he was going kinda of slow. I decided not to hit him since he alreadywas have a bad day. He finally let me by. Any ways...he must have got to his pit ...cause 5 miles later he hit me so hard that I was pushed off the course. My point is that racers have long memeroies so ...do to others, what you want them to do to you.

PS To the 5 car...I know who you are...hehe

WFODAN

Reaction
" Dan, have you ever read anything you have wrote after you have written it? You come across the e-mails as a egotistical, arogant, self-proclaimed off-road expert. At least this is how you come across to this rookie. "

Thanks Josh , glad I could help you as an expert . WOW !! I gave my definition of a nerf .............. Oh man I'm sorry your narrow mind took that as being arogant, egotistical or a self proclaimed expert . Are you guys still sour about the pass I made on the green truck and threw rocks on ya ?? I followed blowing the horn for about a mile before I went off the course to pass . The rocks were just my way of saying thank you for not moving over when you had the chance . Get over it .

pciscott

Reaction
I should not comment on this, but I think there should be some etiquette to passing. I think that as soon as you know someone is behind you your hands should start to wave and you should be looking for a place to pull over. I pull up behind people in the Trophy Truck and they make a right turn into whatever might be there. I will not hit you as long as you do not run on me and I see a hand wave to let me know you are looking for a place to pull over. The problem is when you try to match bumpers to give a little push and the front car crams the brakes boom abusive nerfing. I matched bumpers with a 10 car last year at Henderson and gave a little push in a fast section and my bumper slid over the top of the cage and broke the ECU of the car I was trying to pass. I felt like crap and I had a pissed off 10 team that was running for points that came up with a DNF. My policy is to not nerf the slower cars in fact I do not even run a bumper on my truck because I do not want to hit anyone. The problem is that when you are racing through the dust behind a fast car and the car in front passes a slower car, crash bang boom. Competition review board time. What should we do in a lap event? Should we slow down and get beat or should we take our chances and hope we dont hurt anyone? Some of us do not have the luxury of a helicopter to warn us of the slow cars ahead. When you see a Trophy Truck or class One chances are there are more coming up fast. If I were you I would start watching your mirrors. Also it would be great for the pits to let you know when the fast cars are getting close. The challenge is the fast cars are getting faster as technology and the level of competition increase the danger raises of a fast car hitting a slower one. I started racing in a Mini Mag and I know what it is like to worry about getting hit. I also know how frustrating it is when you catch someone in your class and they run on you (this is the one instance where the IRON HORN is deserved). I also know how it is to be racing in the top class trying to do whatever it takes to bring home my first win in Trophy Truck. I hope we have a safe race this weekend and I will be extra careful not to hit you. Please do your part and get the hell out of my way! One last thing as far as hearing a horn, I have had better luck throwing the dam thing. I have even gone as far as opening up the tool bag and having the Co-driver throw sockets to get the attention of the bike in front of us so we can get by safe. Good luck to everyone this weekend. With the new starting grid I think that the passing of slower cars will be minimized and we should all have a safe, clean, and HOT Henderson!

V8Ranger

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Why don't they use a small electronic device that will buzz in the helmet or light up a red light in the dash to warn there is a car behind the racer? These would be cheap. And have a distance like 20-50 ft. I am sure these can be made for $50 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's got to be fairly simple to do. I've got a roomate thats an ECE major who's looking for a senior project. I'll talk to him and se if he's interested in looking into it.

Mark_Miller

Reaction
The guy that said nerfing is for rookies hasn't ever raced a trophy truck. If he has he's never made a pass, There is NO other way to pass, I think it's mainly because most guys have such ego's they can't let it go when they are caught. I've had miles of frustrations knowing that the guy in front of me knows I'm there and knowing that all he has to do is keep enough dust to hold me back there while he's going on his own little pace. When your trying to win an overall and you make it through the dust and the guy is still parked on the track, what are you supposed to do? call him on the Sat phone, "hey I've been following you for 20 miles, I'm on your bumper, would you mind letting me by" anyone who doesn't like being nerfed should pull over when someone pulls up on them and then there isn't such a thing as nerfing. European rallye raids, like the Dakar, have this etiquitte and while it's not always followed it usually is and no one bumps anyone there. one last note, After I screwed up at the Baja 2000 and had to pass 143 cars, I did not touch one of them, the only car that wouldn't move out of the way was Mike Julson, I was mad at Mike and called him out on it. It was just past el arco at night and i was turning the lights on and off, trying everything but he wouldn't pull over, he was very nice about it and taught me a lesson, he said "next time you need to hit me" I feel like I've been friends with him ever since that, and the next time I did hit him and he would have expected no less.

frankh

Reaction
Well I will add into this post. The people that invest in TT and class one have only two things on there mind 1. winning there class 2. O/a. I will tell you that passing on a second line or thought the desert is allot faster the nerfing then waiting for someone to move over. So you can see that nerfing is the last resort. I will go off course to pass if I know it is safe before I slow down to nerf and pass. The real problem is going down a 100+ section in dust and almost hit someone going 30 with no amber then if you hit them you are the a$$hole.

martininsocal

Reaction
Billy-Folks go to short course races to see "rubbing". But that doesn't make it right to spin someone in front of you on the first turn to pass. That is what the black flag is all about. I have been used as the "brakes" by another car racing at Glen Helen at the top of animal leap, and being pushed down the non-course portion not only sucks, but takes you out of contention.
I think folks are confusing nerfing with hitting. Nerfing is letting the guy in front of you know you are faster, hitting can cause damage. I have suddenly gone faster and know that means someone behind me wants to get by, I have also been hit, causing temporary loss of control, sore neck for my co-rider, etc...

JasonHutter

Reaction
My point for those of you who answered my questions was made. Our race vehicles are too loud to hear a horn and dust or no dust most cannot see behind them well. Most also have said they do the best they can to watch behind them, but sometimes you miss one or two. Nerfing is a part of our sport and I guess I am just trying to say when we nerf, get the point across, wait for them to pull over, and race on. Most of the Trophy Trucks out there have been real nice to us when passing, the ones with the helicopters are real easy to know when they are coming. Most of the time I have been out there the helicopter will fly over us and get into our field of vision in front of us which obviously lets us know when the Herbst or Riviera are screaming up behind us. I have been able to hear most of the Trophy trucks engines behind us and get out of the way pretty quickly, these guys have class when passing, most if they see you will do as Steinberger has said and match bumpers and speed you up. I'm not sure what the Class 1 drivers have to prove, but the hardest hits on our truck has come from them! No need to name any names, we just understand it happens and built the rear bumper stronger. I think they just know their cars can handle the terrain they are going through and run until they find the dust machine infront of them. So far we haven't had too much damage after building the rear stronger, just some rear fender work. I'm not ready to quit racing because of nerfing, it is a part of our sport and am willing to still get out there and take my chances.

RACE ON!
Jason

Josh_K

Reaction
Dan, two pionts. First if you go to the night race, I will buy you a beer if I get to meet you, I am sure that we would get along great, Sorry I e-mailed you back I should have relized that YOU ARE THE KING??? Secound, if any one NEEDS to nerf me I am totaly open to it, But there is a time and a place. At the MDR race in Febuary that you were comenting about passing me at, I had broke the heim jiont on the power steering salve ram. The ram is the only source of power and dampining in the steering system so the wheel was spinning out of controle in my hands. I was doing every thing I could to piont it in a safe direction. I relize there were a lot of racers that were stuck behind me and it was not my intension. At one piont in the race I had a friend that got some vidio of a 10 car that was bumping the back side of me and I never felt it. I dont think that nerfing is a real prolem with the slower cars, I think the lesson to be learned here is for the faster heavy cars like v-8 class ones and class 8's other cars that are pushing 5k lbs or 6k lbs. Relizing that most people that start to race usally being racing less costly seriers like MDR. We will always see the most unexerianced racers at these races (my self being a exampel) and this is where the big problem is. New, green drivers that are in heavy, fast cars is where the problem is at. Thay do not understand that every one has a right to be out there racing and just how much damage a big car an cause. How may times have we all seen near trophy trucks an Firday going down the course at pit road in Barston at near 100 mph? Scary! people camping kids on scooters, it's not a good thing. While it's not a nerfing thing, the root cause is the same, inexperiance! At my first race I hit Greg Crew in his 1300 car. I should not have done it, I should have had more tolerance for the limited class, But I was the problem with nerfing then that you all you are talking about today. I Think there needs to some way of informing people of what nerfing is used for and when it is apporate. As cars get faster, cheaper, and new guys have the money to buy these cars this problem is going to increase.
And all of you in the limited class can only hope that these new guys learn of the damage that can be caused by nerfing as fast as I have. The only reason that I am willing to make these "confesions" is to try to help the sport and get some people thinking about this stuff that may one day get an opertunity race a big car. It is no way to try to say that I am the most talinted gift to racing the world has ever seen, we have Robby Gordon for that.

Walt

Reaction
&lt;&lt;It is no way to try to say that I am the most talinted gift to racing the world has ever seen, we have Robby Gordon for that. &gt;&gt;

And Robby could back that up !!!!