New 2019 Honda Talon 1000X & 1000R

NIKAL

not really. Maybe they’ll get some info out when the desert cars are completed. It’s been a mad thrash for the team to get these cars all done.
Does not sound like much of a thrash considering the car was virtually stock.Lol! It was great to see a new brand out there competing and finishing a tough race like KOTH!
Btw Pat what’s the deal with originally being on Yokohama tires and the last minute change to EFX tires?

pdailey

Racer
Does not sound like much of a thrash considering the car was virtually stock.Lol! It was great to see a new brand out there competing and finishing a tough race like KOTH!
Btw Pat what’s the deal with originally being on Yokohama tires and the last minute change to EFX tires?
the cars were originally going to be on the longer travel desert stuff and realized that wasn’t going to work out very well in the rocks so had to get all the stock suspension back on while we were trying to race the Ridgeline at Parker. But Evan Weller and his crew made it happen. They had some very long nights.

as far as the Yokohama is concerned,I guess you can call it a conflict with the Ridgeline tire sponsor. Luckily all parties worked together and we were able to get the cars on EFX. They’ll be on EFX all season.

NIKAL

the cars were originally going to be on the longer travel desert stuff and realized that wasn’t going to work out very well in the rocks so had to get all the stock suspension back on while we were trying to race the Ridgeline at Parker. But Evan Weller and his crew made it happen. They had some very long nights.

as far as the Yokohama is concerned,I guess you can call it a conflict with the Ridgeline tire sponsor. Luckily all parties worked together and we were able to get the cars on EFX. They’ll be on EFX all season.
Makes sense regarding Yokohama. Honestly when I saw Yokohama on the UTV’s I was expecting to see an announcement about the Ridgeline truck making the move to Yokohama. With Yokohama making a return to supporting desert racing, I thought the Honda program would have been a good team for them as your in two classes.

Hoveco

Both our 2 seat Talon’s just finished King of the Hammers. The only thing NOT stock on these cars were cage, seats/belts, high clearance rear radius rods, and steering tie rods. All the suspension was bone stock including the stock shocks. Also bolted on the same Jackson Racing Turbo kit which will be available to everyone from dealer shortly. I’d say that’s a damn good testament on how good these cars are out of the box. Well done Honda!
Congrats👍 Cars looked and sounded great

ItsYourLegacy

Both our 2 seat Talon’s just finished King of the Hammers. The only thing NOT stock on these cars were cage, seats/belts, high clearance rear radius rods, and steering tie rods. All the suspension was bone stock including the stock shocks. Also bolted on the same Jackson Racing Turbo kit which will be available to everyone from dealer shortly. I’d say that’s a damn good testament on how good these cars are out of the box. Well done Honda!
Were the new Fox Live Valve shocks used and did Honda's two new young guns perform as expected/naturally break anything along the way?

ItsYourLegacy

Thank you for clearing this up and understood regarding the impression that 'not a single stock part failed during the race' given that this has been the (stock) UTV factory team post race report summary in every single tough race for years. Like Bulnerd, where the rubber-hits-the-road for me is in the build info and in again what failed with a professional driver pushing it. When factories balk on their teams providing this basic info immediately or even their drivers/get-their-hands-dirty team members commenting in public forums (period) to every now and again be asked questions or even one way offer basic insights (see the sport of late as compared to yesteryear) it is more difficult at least for me to support the brand or Team. I have become too spoiled I suppose in the approachable manner that my fellow enthusiasts seemed to exhibit not that long ago before they were one by one 'reprogrammed' to the more easily controllable 'social safe speech' platforms.
I would really enjoy Riding Red as I love the platform just as much as I did the Rincon when it changed the quad game years ago.
Yet when Live Valve isn't ready for prime time in these big races and (please correct me if I'm not keeping up/mistaken) we have not witnessed longer competing versions (yet?) loudly touting this same advanced system as being race ready...is it(?).
The last I paid several years ago was nearly 5k to install a set of (now near obsolete) truly rebuildable shocks on my car with no wires hanging off of them.
Folks now are pondering: Do I want something that only a race team can afford to replace/work on (yet won't rush to race)...or am I receiving something that I can actually race now/use 'reasonably' for many years with the proper care and feeding? Polaris Dynamix owners?

Last edited:

Fourstroker

The boys did awesome. No live valve just yet. Very, very soon.
Heard there are some unique features of the live valve Honda is using and how it acquires data. Will be interesting to see if it works.

Fourstroker

That's what I was thinking as well. I hope it works. Some of the things my friend was telling me it can do are different than how you would setup any other shock

ItsYourLegacy

That's what I was thinking as well. I hope it works. Some of the things my friend was telling me it can do are different than how you would setup any other shock
...which is why potential (LiveValve) Honda Talon owners are frustrated in terms of even the basic information being held back on this 'groundbreaking' product versus the Polaris system let alone basic race build info or real time access/accounts from the young guns actually risking their lives/piloting these test rocket ships. Perhaps we have more faith in their already proven experience/what they have to say (in real time) than those presently holding the reins.

ItsYourLegacy

^^^^^...I realize that the big money TT guys are likely far beyond this in much more stoutly built/forgiving 'cages' using this same technology...yet how would you like to be the first couple guys to test drive/trust a bunch of electronics talking in required mili-seconds to the only can't fail equipment keeping you from launching sideways/flipping at 120 mph in a glorified golf cart(?)....

Nessy

^^^^^...I realize that the big money TT guys are likely far beyond this in much more stoutly built/forgiving 'cages' using this same technology...yet how would you like to be the first couple guys to test drive/trust a bunch of electronics talking in required mili-seconds to the only can't fail equipment keeping you from launching sideways/flipping at 120 mph in a glorified golf cart(?)....
Those Hondas will be lucky to hit 80 without a Turbo and I seriously doubt the are geared to go much over 100 even with 33 inch tires.

ItsYourLegacy

^^^^...I baited there a bit unintentionally...and yes, the first generation turbos were bolted on...never have distinguished much between flipping sideways or over at 100 vs 120 mph in a UTV...yet that's just me.