New BLM Rules

frankh

Reaction
The Blm Had a big meeting yesterday and the have some new rules.

If you have pallet you will get a ticket. They do not have to be burning. you will get a ticket if you just have them.

Next, If you are taking pics or filming you have to have a permit from them. They said ,that they have seen all the people on the net making money so now they want there share. So who say they don't look at was posted on the net. If you all get together you can get one permit with multiple names on it.

In addition all the courses have been set. no more long loop. They have opted for the shorter ones basically the "more" ones. It will be a dull 400 next year, What will it be 20 laps our something like that.

also heard that they are going to make the promoters have someone every 10 mile to respond to emergency and spectator problems. they said it's for safety reason but it's funny that the people do not need to have first aid cert. but they did make mention of some of the post on the net.

I was not at the meet this is just what I heard.

We are slowly loosing this battle.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Is there going to be a sign at every entrance to the mojave desert..."no filming without permit" that is ludicrous.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Thanks for that post. I have been searching for this info. Some of that seems a little extreme and assuming becuase you have a pallet you will light it on fire. Also, because you have a camera, you will sell the pictures. Good luck enforcing that one. What if you want to protect youself from abusive BLM rangers and video tape them??? Odd rules nontheless if this is true.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
They cant make you have a permit if its for personal home use. Or if you post it on the net for free.

They tryed to bust me in Ocotillo for filming before but they didnt get very far after they found out I was not making money on it lol.

mattrick8888

Reaction
also heard that they are going to make the promoters have someone every 10 mile to respond to emergency and spectator problems. they said it's for safety reason but it's funny that the people do not need to have first aid cert. but they did make mention of some of the post on the net.

they wont even need to have a first aid cert? i am a certified EMT and when you learn how to help people at an accident scene you learn what NOT to do. people that do not know what they are doing will more often than not cause more harm than good. one wrong move and a person with an injured neck can be paralized....

schafer

Reaction
heard from where?

I knew pallets would be illegal, and frankly you burn a pallet you leave nails behind, does anyone here like changing a flat?

I cant see how they can enforce the photo thing, thats BS... whats to say you are not taking wildlife shots out there and there just so happens to be a dezert race? LOL

Sounds like they would rather turn the desert into a mall parking lot....

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
If the blm wants to close the deserts down and then the land is sold to developers what Land will they Manage? It sounds like they are working themselves out of a job. Most of the rangers I have met have been super nice guys/gals and dont seem like they would want to close the deserts off, is there someone else higher up that is doing this or is the BLM really responsible to trying to shorten courses and keeping us out?

Eric_Record

Reaction
<< Next, If you are taking pics or filming you have to have a permit from them. They said ,that they have seen all the people on the net making money so now they want there share. >>

Can anyone who was at the BLM meeting confirm this ???

If so, many thanks in advance for any info you can FWD regarding this matter.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
interesting

RacnCPA

Reaction
I'm sure Frank is giving us the straight scoop, but like Eric said some backup from an attendee would be cool. This just proves over and over again, we need to police ourselves and watch what gets posted on public boards. I'll be awaiting confirmation of these nearly impossible rules to enforce. Thanks in advance.

michael_loomis

Reaction
does this mean NO camp fires or just no pallets because of the nails ?

LOL no cameras in the dez without a permit .... that is INSANE ! come on , thats got to be against some constitutional right !

drtdevil93

Reaction
constitutional rights? what rights?

second amendment :"a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". can i go right now, buy a handgun and bring it home with me? NO! and that is an obvious violation of the second amendment.

its just like everytime there is a tragedy people want to react with more, stricter laws. we've tightened the noose around our own necks! there are so many policies, laws and treaties passed that are in complete violation of the constitution and the bill of rights its unbelievable.

erik

SuperDave

Reaction
The new rules purposed by the BLM affect four areas; Stoddard Valley (Barstow), Johnson Valley (Lucerne), El Mirage, and Dumont Dunes.

Both Stoddard Valley and Johnson Valley now have two established four-wheeled vehicle racecourses, course A and course B. This totals four racecourses and each one is on record with the BLM. Each course is approximately 40 to 45 miles. These are what we have to race on. No exceptions.

The promoter is to designate a First Aid Coordinator to direct emergency procedures. The Coordinator doesn’t need to be medically certified. They must organize and provide certified first aide personnel (First Responder minimum) who are equipped with first aid and communication equipment. First aid personnel are to be located around the identified course at an interval of not less than 1 for every 10 miles.

No "firewood" containing metal (screws, nails, etc.) may be brought into the recreational areas. They can site you for this. They emphasized “NO PALLETS” as this was their primary concern. They said each burned pallet leaves behind 80 to 90 nails. If you use a pallet as a platform to store you fuel containers on, they suggested covering the pallet with something such as canvas, carpet, rubber mat, Astroturf, etc., to distinguish it as something other than firewood.

They have purchased two sound meters to enforce the new OHV noise regulations, which is 96 dbA.

Sorry, I don’t have any info on the film/photo issue.

michael_loomis

Reaction
does the OHV noise regulation apply to race vehicles ?

EQuin

Reaction
Alright, I can understand the pallet deal, but no photos or filming without a permit? That's ridiculous! Did they cite the specific regulation for the camera permit? It would look something like this - 8 C.F.R. 212, for instance (I just made the numbers up, but all federal regulations are codified in the Code of Federal Regulations - the first number is the Title of the Code, and the 2nd number after the acronym is the specific section or part under the title). I'm just interested in seeing what the actual regulation says, assuming it's already been promulgated by the BLM. If it's simply being proposed (i.e., not yet a formal regulation), then please let me know. I'd like to comment on it before it gets formally promulgated. When I go to a race with my daughter, I definitely intend to take pics to cherish the moments with her later on.

I can understand charging a fee and requiring a hunter or a fisherman to apply for a permit, or a rancher to get one to graze cattle on public land, or a logging company to get one to harvest trees on public land. Those activities involve the actual use of public resources requiring compensation for their use and taking.

But pictures? Come on. That's stretching it in my opinion. What public resources are being used up by taking pics or filming public land?

And if they're mad about profits being made, they should realize that the pics and videos being sold focus more on the racers and their race vehicles than on the publicly-owned landscape. Why were they not so upset over the hundreds of calendars sold each year showing beautiful photos of federal parks like Yellowstone, Big Bend, etc.? They feel threatened by a fledgling industry of a few young race fans who want to sell videos of racers who happen to race on publicly owned land?

And what purpose will the permit serve? What are they trying to regulate? Usually, a permit serves to regulate the activity to prevent over-use and abuse.

Or are they wanting a share in the profits being made, much like royalties charged for producing oil or harvesting trees on public land? If that's the case, then they should require a permit only for those who intend to profit from the filming.

Well, just my humble, uneducated opinon on the matter.

Protech975

Reaction
OK here is the deal with the BLM and picture taking. I received an email from a gentleman at the Barstow BLM office back April notifying me that I was in violation of the BLM's filming permit policy because I had taken photos on BLM land at an Race event and was then trying to sell tham on the internet, which was true. I started taking race photos last year and have sold tham under the name "Pro-Tech Race Photos". I never knew I needed a permit to take pictures but it is infact a new law and is now being inforced. Not only can you not take pictures on BLM land and sell them for a profit but you can not sell them on BLM land without a BLM sellers permit! so thats two permits you need just to take a sell race photos at a race on BLM land. This "ONLY" applies to pictures taken and sold for profit! NOT pictures you take for your own personal viewing and use. It doesnt matter if you are from Hollywood filming a 20 mil. $ film or Shmo Joe like me the permit is the same. I am attaching a copy of the letters I received from them. Thanks for you time. Rob Stapp Barstow CA.

Good afternoon.

It has recently come to my attention that persons filming during the
car-truck races which take place on the public lands here in California may
not be aware that they need a BLM film permit to legally conduct this type
of activity. For further information on film permits, please call our main
telephone number, 760/252-6000.

Secondly, persons selling photos (or anything else) during car-truck races,
or other events on the public lands, need a vending permit to legally do
so.
Should anyone need a vendor application, I will be happy to send one out.

Nathan Skallman
Outdoor Recreation Planner
BLM, Barstow Field Office
760/252-6045

Good morning, Mr. Stapp.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am responsible for the promoter and
vendor permits here in the Barstow BLM field area. Film permits are issued
by our Lands and Realty Section. For more information about film permit
requirements, please contact Rich Rotte in this office at 760/252-6026.

This morning I obtained information regarding commercial film permit
requirements. Just as a vending permit is required to sell something on
the public lands, so too, is a commercial film permit required for anyone
who makes money from photographs taken on the public lands. Giving photos
to friends or others does not require a permit.

This is from our regulations:

"Casual use means any short term non-commercial activity which does not
cause appreciable damage or disturbance to the public lands..."
[43 CFR 2920]

"Commercial use means recreational use of the public lands ... for business
or financial gain."
[43 CFR 2932]

Commercial use therefore involves the BLM requirement to have a "Special
Recreation Permit" (for all vending and promoting of organized events) and
"Commercial Film Permit" (for all photography for financial gain).

I appreciate your timely response to my email. If I can be of further
assistance, do not hesitate to contact me.

Nathan Skallman
Outdoor Recreation Planner
BLM, Barstow Field Office

Protech975

Reaction
Just for the record! It came to my attention after this matter was brought up back in April, that the BLM did not see this ad I had put on the MORE racing web site for pictures we had taken at the Jan. race!
I was infact turned in to them by a person associated with MDR! I will not stoop to their level and mention names but that is how this came to theirs and my attention!
Jim at MORE has offered to pay for the BLM filming permit at his races at no cost to any photographers that want to shoot film at his races! Very cool Jim, Thanks!