New BLM Rules

Paige

Reaction
Mike's the guy to ask - that is who called me today. I have known Mike for 3 years and he is a good guy. Any questions on the fees, etc. Ask him. I always contact Mike when I need to know something - he gives you the straight scoop.

Kenny, on the course maint thing - I think that we will have to wait and see what happens w/the courses in Stoddard. I am just concerned how to rectify a potentially problematic situation with potential overuse of one area, but I see your point with cost. I think that this will be an issue we will have to figure out in advance in case course maintenance becomes an issue we have to deal with - thanks for the insight.

Paige

Reaction
Green sticker fees are for state lands - dumont is federal land - your green sticker fees only go to the blm if they request grant funding and that is for specific allocations and being cut off due to the DOI's response to the different lawsuits. The Green sticker stakeholders won't fund a program that shuts down riding areas. So you see the fees in West Mojave are different that at an SVRA or state park.

SuperDave

Reaction
There was an interesting comment behind one of the reasons to push the new OHV noise regulations. There was a study that proved a loud motorcycle or quad produced enough sound (+100 dbA) to rupture the eardrums of a reptile. So I guess loud noises affect more than just nearby people.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The person in charge of phote permits is Mrs. Joan Patrovski. The current fees for photographing on BLM land are $100 per day. That covers up to 10 people associated with the same Org. In other words you can have 10 people shooting pics. at one race under the same name or permit. Over 10 people and it is pro-rated according to the size of the project and people involved. That does not however cover the cost of the sellers permit which will allow you to sell pictures or other related items on BLM land , say at the Start-Finish area, that is another $100 and must come from the county and approved by the BLM. There is a web site that I was given for a desert area/county corridinator in charge of filming permits. Her name is Sheryl Davis and she can be reached at www.filmininlandempire.com
Mrs. Patrovski's ph# at the Barstow BLM office is 760-252-6032.

Thank you Rob Stapp for the info.

Hotdirt

Reaction
I see the new Video permit law as way out there. Pay to film if you are a major Motion picture company and will be sectioning off a certain area. Other than that " let it go! "

We test with three video cameras on our Darpa Grand Challenge (Autonomous) vehicle In the el mirage area. Wonder what the ticket will cost when they see a Truggy driving itself ? Better start saving my lunch money !

dunerking

Reaction
It seems to me that the next thing they try to regulate will be the telling a friend about all the great stuff you saw and got to enjoy out on any of your trips.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This is the most assinine thing I've ever heard. I can understand this as a Hollywood side effect, but WE OWN THE LAND! Whats next, can't take a picture of my front door? Maybe its old news but this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a very long time. Can someone point me in the right direction for legislature on this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure thing *points to google*

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Waita minute here. I have a problem with paying a fee. How many more fees do we have to pay for? Which we already pay for. Double or triple taxation. Screw that. I am not on board with this one at all. I dont mind paying my fair share but this is rediculous. Just because of poor planning/spending and more bull crap lawsuites. We get stuck with the bil again. When will it end???? Soorry about the negativity but this stuff really gets my goat.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Makes racing or watching a race in Mex all so much more attractive doesn't it ?

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Makes racing or watching a race in Mex all so much more attractive doesn't it ?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, yes it does. even though i've gotten mugged, beaten and thrown in jail, mex dez racing is starting to look lots better.

drtdevil93

Reaction
at least in mexico, they are clear about robbing you. here its the people that we elected to lead us that are robbing us! i frequent dumont dunes. i swear if they try to charge me to enter the land that i, as a united states citizen rightfully own, they are gonna get a motorhome driven through their building. and wait, restrictions can be placed on us without our consent? call it a regulation, call it whatever you want. ill call it complete tyranny. lets repeat this. they can put a law in effect, without the consent of the people. whats going on?

heres what i envision: 2 courses in barstow- everyone who raced there this past year will tell you, it was getting pretty beat up. now they say EVERY race must go on those same 2 courses. then the econazis will get some pictures (i wonder if they had a permit for them) of a chewed up terrain, and have barstow closed down.

is someone gonna charge me with possession of a pallet? im not clear on this, but i thought they said it wasnt just illegal to burn one, but to have one with intent (malicious intent?) to burn it. i have a huge stack of pallets at work, when i go out, i take them and burn them. remember the econazis saying reduce, recycle, REUSE? when i leave the site, i put all the nails in a bag with the rest of my trash, and take it back with me. eventhough i do this responsibly, i will now have to let the pallets stack up, and go buy firewood?

so, next race lucerne race when everyone is taking video and pictures at the wall, are the blm rangers gonna be walking around asking people if they are gonna profit from those pictures? it also was said that if the media is going to benefit a business they need a permit. so the video that camburg put up, or DNF racing put up (which benefited their businesses) would be unallowed? they would need to go pay 100 bucks for a permit to film? or when i take some film, and show it to a potential sponsor, or give them a signed action shot of my truck, i will need to pay the BLM 100 bucks in order to do so? do you know how many "thank you pictures" most vendors have on their walls, which would be illegal according to this law?

of course someone will say that isnt the intent of the law, but just empowering a police official with that is wrong and dangerous.

i somewhat understand the medic every 10 miles, but has this been a serious problem? of course, its not a good idea to close your eyes and wait for a tragedy to occur before safety is increased, which is why i can kind of understand it. the problem is, in desert terrain, you could roll your car and explode half a mile away from a medic without them knowing it. it still comes down to other racers helping each other out. i would go for requiring racers to get emergency medical training. setup a big class we could all go together, that would be cool, and increase safety a lot.

i hope no one get the wrong idea and thinks im an antigovernment nut. i believe in our system, i am just very much against a lot of things that it does, that it shouldnt be doing.

erik

desertratt

Reaction
yes those rules apply to us as well. its going to suck! my 650 even with new packing is around 100db's.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
- BLM manages the land and does whatever is suggested. They are not the bad guy. They are simply enforcing laws in effect.
- Enviros like to take control and in the case of desert racing are uninformed of the impact the sport has on the environment. They are taking advantage of your right as a citizen to get involved into decision making that affects the access of public land.
- Us, desert racers and enthusiasts are easily excited by motors, racing, competition etc. BUT do NOT take advantage of fighting politically. We wake up AFTER new regulations are in effect that restrict our access to our sport and hobby. Then we make big statements of how wrong it is.. Then we accept it..and deal with less freedom... wait 2 years and get ready for the next round of restrictions to narrow down what we love.

-------

What we need is a strong lobby that fights for our interests. That sound boring to most of us and costs money.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i agree with you that as a whole, offroad racers dont do nearly enough politically to defend the land. however, what they are doing is simply wrong and illegal. putting rules and regulations on people without giving them a say in it?, remember the boston tea party? and that was over a small tax!

"Were [a right] to be refused, or to be so shackled by regulations, not necessary for... peace and safety... as to render its use impracticable,... it would then be an injury, of which we should be entitled to demand redress." --Thomas Jefferson: Report on Navigation of the Mississippi, 1792.

erik

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
boston tea party ? explain before I do my google search (RTFM) on it.

drtdevil93

Reaction
when the early americans were burdened with another tax from the king (a tax on tea), they finally revolted, went to the harbor where an incoming ship was full of tea leaves, and threw all the tea in to the ocean. it was one of the early acts of rebellion by the americans against the king.

erik

drtdevil93

Reaction
by the way, klaus, you are in a picture in truckin magazine. its in the article on the opening of robbie gordon offroad. theres a picture of the owner of deavers son, jeremy standing with robbie gordon, and either in that picture, or one by it, i can see you in the background.

erik

desertratt

Reaction
there is one last chance to have every one show up and voice thier opinion and stand up to the greenies
6:pm
Wednesday, July 30
City Council Chambers
220 East Mountain View Street
Barstow, CA
it would be great to show up with a good number of people. if at least half the people that went to the desert people video party went to this it would show some sign that we care enough about the right to keep racing and riding in the desert!