New Class 6200 in Best in the Desert

Dirty Harry

Reaction
i find it interesting that a 10speed trans is legal........?????.....but no straight axle to connect it to....

I agree, the open transaxle really surprises me, particularly since the transmission isn't open in 6100. This is the most expensive component in Class 10 and I would expect that to be the same here.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Just doing the engine will still allow the well funded to have an advantage with REAL PARTS as Peteee says. I really thought there would be more spec items. Like every other spec class things will change like class 10 did after we got eco-tec approved. We spent thousands only to have things changed like DI engines , ecu ' s etc. I would wait a season until the smoke clears unless you go Ford as Im sure they will offer big $$$$. Not sure if I like it or not. Hope my kids build one as I would rather go camping and fishing at this time in life lol

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I don't think It will effect people that do not race in the states and only race 2 or 3 times a year

I know but the class is even bigger and more competitive in the states. Why change that and yet another class?

Bdub 1020

Reaction
I don't think without out doing spec transmission / shock size limit it will really saves much money for Chevy guys. This will be just a bigger Ford class for the payback which is cool because Ford could not compete in class 1 engine $$$$$ wise. Anyone know how much the Turbo engine 10 speed package is from TK

Last edited:

Wendell #527

Reaction
#racingisdangerous

Come on wendell. Precepts Motorsports is trying to promote stock ecotecs in class 5 because that is literally what saved class 5. Yes it changed a class that was strictly highly modified air cooled engines but you can not argue that it has not saved 5. Don't knock them for being one of the most generous race teams in this sport for the sake of jumping on the crap talking band wagon. By the way why don't you come and race your 5 car? A big type 4 just won a $5,000 purse at rage at the river for the second year in a row. Yes it was LJ Kennedy so of course he won but still. Air-cooled Type 4's are competitive as ever if they stay together.
. Zac I disagree that the ecotech saved class 5. It replaced what I consider a true class 5. I agree the numbers of "new" 5 cars did increase, but true (to me) 5 cars mostly went away, much the same as this class will do to class 1. My post wasn't meant to parrot what others say, but rather that we need to get used to it because it's the way of the future. Classes will continue to get diveed up more and more. The trend is good for desert racing if that gets more people into it, but for us old timers it's a bummer sometimes. I didn't mean to knock anybody about offering prizes for stock ecotechs. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned that. My bad on that part.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I am guessing this is all a result of the 6100 meeting at the Pahrump race where Ford offered up to dump a big paycheck each race if they allowed their motor / trans in 6100 and the racers did not want it that were there representing. They tried to fit in to that class to test their product in race situations. Racers did not like the transmission option.

Best in the Desert is loyal to Ford and if Ford wants a class, with the amount of money they put into the sport then it is beneficial to include them in it.

standfast

Reaction
I like the idea but it seems like there should be a transmission limitation like 6100 has to deal with (no underdrive). Ie 5 speed max to clip off the top speed. Maybe a shock diameter limit so those older 1 cars don't need a 30k transaxle and an entirely new shock package to be competitive. Get those old class 1's out of the sheds. There has to be a lot of them out there.

Kilian

_
Reaction
Update original post with a few rules tweaked...

Contingency Money:

Ford
$5000 1st Place
$2500 2nd Place
$1000 3rd Place

General Tire
$2500 1st place
$500 2nd Place
$300 3rd Place

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
I don't see many guys choosing the 3.5 when an LS3 is such a proven motor. Add in all the packaging headaches and potential failure points of the turbo system, and I see this as a win for GM more than Ford. As a side note, I don't really see how any vehicle that looks like "buggy" will help Ford sell more cars? In my simple mind they would've been better off buying their way into a truck class that has more resemblance to a Raptor.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I don't see many guys choosing the 3.5 when an LS3 is such a proven motor. Add in all the packaging headaches and potential failure points of the turbo system, and I see this as a win for GM more than Ford. As a side note, I don't really see how any vehicle that looks like "buggy" will help Ford sell more cars? In my simple mind they would've been better off buying their way into a truck class that has more resemblance to a Raptor.
They tried - they wanted into the 6100 truck class and were shot down -

snoreracer

Reaction
Call me old school but I can remember 8 classes and 2 were motorcycles. I think ford would be better served to work on the coyote engine and put money in class one for overall, but what do I know

Pee Wee

Reaction

$7500 for a win won't hurt.
Can't find the weight but it could be a factor along with GPH.

firedog

Reaction
I am guessing this is all a result of the 6100 meeting at the Pahrump race where Ford offered up to dump a big paycheck each race if they allowed their motor / trans in 6100 and the racers did not want it that were there representing. They tried to fit in to that class to test their product in race situations. Racers did not like the transmission option.

Best in the Desert is loyal to Ford and if Ford wants a class, with the amount of money they put into the sport then it is beneficial to include them in it.

So BITD actually denied Best in the Ford desert with the 6100 deal so Best in the Ford desert created a new class with BITD must comply with??? confused here! Who runs this show?? :)

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
So BITD actually denied Best in the Ford desert with the 6100 deal so Best in the Ford desert created a new class with BITD must comply with??? confused here! Who runs this show?? :)
What I observed at the meeting was Ford asked to allow the raptor motor trans combo into Class 6100. As a result they would put a substantial chunk of prize money into the class for prize money. I think it was 15-20k a race split in top 3 positions. The racers present were not thrilled with the idea due to the transmission combo so most were against it and expressed their concern. BITD could have said screw you - we will do what we want but they didnt and found an area where Ford can put the motor trans into use for the product it wants to market. This is all an assumption on my part just based on the fact that the motor / trans combo is now listed here that was so highly protested in the 6100 meeting.

Make no mistake ever - Casey and Casey alone runs his program based on the way he wants to - he is extremely loyal to all brands, and people that support him.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction

In the wise words of the Wu-Tang Clan...Cash Rules Everything Around Me (C.R.E.A.M.).