New Class 6200 in Best in the Desert

9rocky

Reaction
cusack frustrated.gif

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
They tried - they wanted into the 6100 truck class and were shot down -
you so sure about that????? ive been to other meetings....whats voted on and those numbers make NO difference to what really happens......i could be wrong....but like 99.9% of the time, im not....carry on...the 10speed trans wont be in this class at all so kinda funny that it is in the rule...

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
i see "also ran" 10 car guys adding ecoboost engine and generals to go for the payday.....anyone want to bet against me???

07FJRog

Reaction
Well crap, except for the IRS, in my avatar i have the whole machine, lol

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
you so sure about that????? ive been to other meetings....whats voted on and those numbers make NO difference to what really happens......i could be wrong....but like 99.9% of the time, im not....carry on...the 10speed trans wont be in this class at all so kinda funny that it is in the rule...
Im not sure about anything anymore Pete - i just like racing my keyboard around the office...Im in second place right now and I am the only one in here....

I merely was passing on my non fact based assumptions from what i overheard at the meeting -

NIKAL

Reaction
So I'm confused? Who is making a 10 speed transaxle? It was said this is the package that Ford wanted in the 6100 class? If that's the case then it's a transmission and that it not going to work for a IRS buggy. Does anyone know what transaxle BITD is talking about?

Robin Hood

Reaction
Just doing the engine will still allow the well funded to have an advantage with REAL PARTS as Peteee says. I really thought there would be more spec items. Like every other spec class things will change like class 10 did after we got eco-tec approved. We spent thousands only to have things changed like DI engines , ecu ' s etc. I would wait a season until the smoke clears unless you go Ford as Im sure they will offer big $$$$. Not sure if I like it or not. Hope my kids build one as I would rather go camping and fishing at this time in life lol

I don't think without out doing spec transmission / shock size limit it will really saves much money for Chevy guys. This will be just a bigger Ford class for the payback which is cool because Ford could not compete in class 1 engine $$$$$ wise. Anyone know how much the Turbo engine 10 speed package is from TK

I like the idea but it seems like there should be a transmission limitation like 6100 has to deal with (no underdrive). Ie 5 speed max to clip off the top speed. Maybe a shock diameter limit so those older 1 cars don't need a 30k transaxle and an entirely new shock package to be competitive. Get those old class 1's out of the sheds. There has to be a lot of them out there.

The motor is the most expensive upfront cost in a class one car. Big expensive motors create more wear and tear on everything.

If you limit the motor there is no need to limit anything else. You don't need a heavy car with bigger brakes, bigger shocks, bigger CVs (get the point), etc if you don't have the power. If you have an older car take advantage of the smaller parts and build it light, nimble and fast.

BTW...Almost all class one cars are old, built 10 plus years ago. Its not that the cars are old its that the drivers are becoming dinosaurs and want the rules changed to match their speed.

Last edited:

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
So I'm confuseould need tod? Who is making a 10 speed transaxle? It was said this is the package that Ford wanted in the 6100 class? If that's the case then it's a transmission and that it not going to work for a IRS buggy. Does anyone know what transaxle BITD is talking about?

The trans is a Ford unit that works electronically with the ecoboost, it's allowed with that engine. I wonder if the FORD payout is with just the engine, engine trans combo or either? I could see guys using the engine but the trans would need to be coupled to a 3rd member with CV's.

Slippery P

Reaction
What should really be a concern with the 3.5 option is the Ford ECM.

Has Ford figured out how to make it work since the last go around in a race car application?

Will Turnkey be supplying any support for said option or just selling product and you are on your own to make it work & get it tuned?

It really would have been great to see BITD think ahead in this decision with a better spec engine choice as in the GM DI LT1, makes more power and is more efficient than the LS3. The spec LS3 class will soon need to make a change as the LS3 becomes obsolete. It would have been a great progressive stepping stone to introduce this engine package into this class as it would raise the bar to 6100. If anyone wanted to bring back class 1 as a spec class, IMO the LT1 would have been the way to do it while promoting growth in both 6100 & 6200.
Desert racing needs to start thinking towards the future, sure this is a new class but with ideals from 5 years ago.

Last edited:

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
What I observed at the meeting was Ford asked to allow the raptor motor trans combo into Class 6100. As a result they would put a substantial chunk of prize money into the class for prize money. I think it was 15-20k a race split in top 3 positions. The racers present were not thrilled with the idea due to the transmission combo so most were against it and expressed their concern. BITD could have said screw you - we will do what we want but they didnt and found an area where Ford can put the motor trans into use for the product it wants to market. This is all an assumption on my part just based on the fact that the motor / trans combo is now listed here that was so highly protested in the 6100 meeting.

Make no mistake ever - Casey and Casey alone runs his program based on the way he wants to - he is extremely loyal to all brands, and people that support him.

Well then the 6100 drivers present were wrong. People complain about a lack of manufacturer involvement then we have a chance to actually have a manufacturer support a class and they turn it down? Sometimes I really wonder about our sport.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Can someone explain the class in layman's terms..
its class 1w ...w=whiner.....its any buggy style car with sealed ls3 or sealed ecoboost......basically any class1 car with ls style engine can easily put in a sealed ls3 and now be in this new class....

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Pete, you have experience with the EcoBoost, if you were thinking of going into the 1w class (jajaja!), would the Ford contingency money be enough to sway you to run the 3.5L over the LS3?

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Pete, you have experience with the EcoBoost, if you were thinking of going into the 1w class (jajaja!), would the Ford contingency money be enough to sway you to run the 3.5L over the LS3?
forsure...when i used it we had "life" computer so the power could be turned up some, but that led to SERIOUS reliability issues......with stock tune it should have plenty of hp for a 3000# car....and if you have a genious to crack the ecu you should be able to get more.....the turbo size and the internal fuel pump LIMIT the hp you can get though.....

Dirty Harry

Reaction
If you limit the motor there is no need to limit anything else.

That hasn't really proven to be the case with other spec classes though. Class 10 transaxle are big bucks if you want to be competitive, I don't see this new class being any different.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today