New Dirt Bike

sweetdevil

Reaction
Well, I've decided to retire the Metal Mulisha bike and buy a real dirt bike, but I'm VERY indecided...
I know I want a Honda, and I know I want a CR, and I'm pretty sure I need the power of a 250 two stroke.

I know there are a few people here that ride, what do you recommend, a 2 or 4 stroke? If I go 2 stroke, I want a cr250. If I go 4 stroke, do I get a crf230 or a crf450??? The price is right on the crf230 ($3299 msrp) vs the crf450 ($6299 msrp) but is it going to be enough power? and does it have the compression braking problem that XR's do? (in my reading, the crf230's have been compared to Xr's more commonly than the crf450) The crf230's also look a little small. For those of you I haven't met, I'm 5'7, so a little bike doesn't work too well...

I had the chance to ride sirhK100's crf450 last weekend, and it was great, but I had a REALLY hard time kicking it over. I rode a yzf426, and an older cr250 and those I could kick... so I don't know.
So, I've done some homework, and come to those conclusions, just want some advice from any of you guys that maybe have rode a little more than I have. Thanks!
Oh ya... and 04 has a crf250 coming out...
here's the crf230

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

cleartoy

Reaction
2 stroke baby!

I dont know your physice, but if your used to a CR 250, you need a 4 stroke about 50% larger to equal it. That is harder to start. A CRF 230 will not hold a candle to the bike you already have, and youll be pissed!!!!!!!!

I dont know what kind of riding, or where you ride, so......., all i can say is i ride a 99 YZ 250 and I love it.

Let us know what you decide.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
"hold a candle to the bike you already have, and youll be pissed"

Have you ever seen what she rides now? Its like a 1975 Hodaka 125, red faded to pink. I think it worth about $10 thats only because there is an RDC sticker on the front fender.. :)

sirhk100

Reaction
I know we've obviously talked but I'll through my opinon down here and people can comment on it too. If you want the power of a CR250 you're gonna regret that CRF230. Either get a CR250 or my bike... Although that CRF250 next year will probably be a sick bike but will be power closer to a 125 2smoke. As far as kicking mine over I guarentee you next time I'll get you to start it. I just need to thorugh you on it with your ground foot on the trailer so you can learn how to kick it. It doesn't like to be jumped on like an open bike you gotta just kick it smooth and all the way through. You saw me start it 1st shot after what 20 kicks by you. I know you can do it and I'll show you next time. I may be going to Elsinore this Friday if you're interested. You should cruise. Or go to the track on a weekend and test ride peoples bikes that you're interested in. It might take some convincing by a strange girl to let you hop on a new CR250 but I guarentee you that you can find someone with a 230 to try. I think it'll be under powered for your agressive riding style... Plus with the 250 or 450 you can go all black and be a true Mulisha trooper!!!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

sirhk100

Reaction
Man I'll put my bike up against a 2 stroke 250 any day of the week dune, track, trail, wheelies (check the title, thanks John, Klaus). If you beat me it's cause you're a better rider, not the bike... I can holeshot the crap outta 250s!!!!

sweetdevil

Reaction
hey now, I'll go peel that sticker off right now!!!
LOL, ok, so I ride a 1985 xr200, hence the name 'metal mulisha bike' It's the biggest pile I've ever had in my possession, but before that I had a half a step up... an 86 cr250. I really liked the power of the bike, but the thing had no suspension left. The xr200 just has no power and no suspension.

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

elcaprerunner

Reaction
LMAo John, you kill me! That's funny cause my buddy has a mint condition '73 Hodaka 125 sitting in his garage and it looks as clean as the day he bought it. It used to be Dave Bowman's pit bike ( famous old drag racer guy) and has only 75 original miles on it.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yeah but does he have an RDC sticker on the front fender?? Then it aint worth half as much as Map's ride..

YZFster

Reaction
dont wast ure time with a 230....250f all the way

Go Big or stay there.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
No but he tried to jack from me at Laughlin to put on it though, I wouldn't let him get it though! They are worth their weight in gold.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

cleartoy

Reaction
I thought she had a 94 CR250....is this not the case?

To Sirhk, ill see ya in the dez bro.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

motoxscott

Reaction
Think of a CRF230 as an updated version of the XR200. It's heavy, has no power and has basic suspension. Its a great beginner bike.

I have a 01 YZ250F now, I had a 99 CR250 before that and a 96 CR125 before that. I like the power the 4 stroke has, it has more power than my 125 and less than the 250, its an in-between. As sad as it sounds, 2-strokes are on the way out. Everything will be 4 in the very near future. If you're looking new, look at the 03 WR250F, they're electric start, which is nice. If you're a die hard 2 stroke fan you can't go wrong with a CR. A 250 will be easier to ride compared to a 125, but you can get yourself into trouble faster.

A CRF450 has a lot of power, that most people dont need. Having too much power just ends up wearing you out faster.

One other feature I luv about my 4 stroke..........NO MORE PREMIX !!!

-Scott

sirhk100

Reaction
I'll most likely be @ Elsinore this Friday morning assuming it's still not a lake. And probably @ ocotillo the weekend after SF. The only place mine won't kill is on top speed cause it's geared for the track and climbing... Shoot me a PM or email... I'm always up for riding with new people!!!

Yeah, it's great pulling up to a pump and filling it directly. Also, I came off a YZ426 which in my opinion is a joke of a bike compared to my 450... I havn't had a chance to ride a YZ450 though. They look nice. I'm hoping to see one this friday at the track that I can con my way onto...

Khris

hoeker

Reaction
i haven't ridden anything newer than a '99 torker, but after hitting a jump 20 times on that bike, (that i had ridden all day), i got on a beater 95 cr250, and skyed that thing compared to the torker. the torker just didn't land nice, it felt heavy. i'm 6' and 200 lbs and even after riding that bike a week at glamis, i still couldn't throw it around like a cr250. like i said, i haven't riden a newer bike, but i'd be hard pressed to go torker when i buy another for myself. (hopefully soon)

PS. i'm pretty impressed MAP, thought you just rode quads. good luck, and sweet talk some guys into letting you test drive em, i'm sure you can pull it off.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

dunerking

Reaction
I've ridden my friends 03 cr250 a few times and the thing hauls ass!Myself,I would say stick with the 2 stroke,but that is because I love the way the power hits,also how much easier and cheapier to run and maintain.I believe the 2 stroke would be cheapier to pull power out of.The only gleamier of light for a 4 stroke is that you don't have to mix gas and oil.I know you said you wanted to stay with the Honda red but have you looked at the KTM 300,sweet bike especially for the ladies,my buddies wife is really looking at buying one.Right now she rides a xr 200 and it isn't enough.Maybe the crf 250 is worth the wait,I think she maybe waiting to check it out before deciding between the crf 250 or the KTM 300,goodluck with which ever you pick.

hit it hard

sweetdevil

Reaction
Thanks Hoeker, I admit, I can't ride well, but I've definetly learned enough to outride the xr200...

as for the weight thing, i agree on the older bikes, but the crf450 is only 225 lbs!! The cr250 is 213 lbs dry, not a big difference. I wanted to stick with a two stroke, but one thing I loved about the xr200 (probably the only thing) is that I could dump the rest of the gas out of the gas can into my truck when I left the dezert.

Ok, so now the cr230 is out the door, and I'm pretty sure about the crf250 too... but does anyone know/heard about the compression braking thing with the crf450? I want to be able to take this thing to Glamis occasionally, and I have a hard enough time in the sand with two wheels as it is... I don't wanna kill myself when my front tire digs into the sand coming down a dune cuz I let off the gas...

sirhk100

Reaction
My 03 CRF is a frigin feather compared to my 01 426. That thing was definately a tank!!!!! No doubt about it. Supposedly the new YZ450 has lost some weight. Once again I'll put my ride up against any 250. I'm pretty confident it's all gonna be rider!!! My bike has everything a new 250 has. Including the ability to lift the front end at anytime, anywhere on the throttle in any gear including 5th...
ask anyone that's seen me ride!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Eric,

Isn't your bike all white? I wanted to do that whenever I get around to getting another bike cause I thought it would be a cool alternative to all the blk mullisha dorks out there. Oh well, guess I gotta keep thinking.....maybe I could do rainbow colors and get Skittles to sponsor me........ That would be different :)

See ya in the dirt!

dunerking

Reaction
A few of the fellas have the crf 450's and love them,most of the guys were die hard 500cc riders but they made the switch,but the one thing they said was hard to get used to was the engine braking.But I guess that means you just have to stay on the gas,even more so at Glamis(heaven).Good luck on the hunt for the perfect bike!

hit it hard

sirhk100

Reaction
I have an all white CRF... I've seen yellow and actually think it looks better...

As for engine breaking this bike has less then my YZ426 did... I've dragged a KX500 and a CR500 and was only a bike length behind at the top of sand damn at superstition. That was with my fat ass on the bike and the two skinny ass mullet riders on 500s. I'm sure if they could ride they woulda been faster. Only reason I couldn't completely hang is I couldn't crack it WFO till 3rd gear cause the front won't stay down...

Khris