New Doherty Motorsports class 8

Old School 8

Reaction
It wasn't a big item, but today after work, I went to my shock guys house, and we drained the oil, and changed out the 90 degree fittings that came with these 3" coil-over Kings. We replaced them with 45 degree fittings. Hard to believe they are 8 years old, and still "new" ! I needed to mount these reservoirs to the cage in a convenient location, but the 90's wouldn't work.

Attachments

• 45's.JPG
    45's.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 934

Old School 8

Reaction
A few months ago, I had my friend Steve, TIG weld a new curved aluminium tab on this power steering res / filter.
My plan is to make a corresponding steel mount, and weld it in the chassis, in front of the engine. I still have a lot of work to do on steering.

Attachments

• PS res.jpg
    PS res.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 888

Old School 8

Reaction
Very busy this weekend with no time for hobby. BUT, I did get in about 4 hours in tonight. Drilled all the bolts (X2 rotors) that hold the rotor adapter to the front hubs, and then safety wired them. All all new bolts and lock nuts for the rotor to adapter.

Attachments

• safe wire.JPG
    safe wire.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 867

Old School 8

Reaction
A few weeks ago, I posted a photo of the completed fabricated spindle / uprights. Last night I had a few more hours, and finished up the front assembly. I had to buy bolts longer than needed and shorten the thread end, to make sure the a-arm pivots, do not pivot on threads. Same with the 8 shock bolts. (I had to clean all the dust off of the shocks before installing !) Final assembly for the steering box (bolted and safety wired). Steering column final welding and assembly (it was already tacked and measured) and set all the allen screws into the splines. The 2" wheel bearings got final grease, and new seals. And mounted the monster 6-piston Wilwood calipers. Still need to run the brake lines, to the installed master cylinder. The big thing left to fab is the steering components. (tie rods and center link). After years of running all the moving part through their travel, figuring out bump stops, limit straps, and fabricating EVERYTHING from scratch, its finally getting closer to finishing up.

Attachments

• front assembly.JPG
    front assembly.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 821

Old School 8

Reaction
I got a few hrs in the shop today after work.pan.JPG drain.jpg Removed the cast alum trans pan, off of the (brand new) 10 year old Art Carr turbo 400. It was the spare I had, that I did not sell with the old truck. (the turbo 400 in the old truck was still working after 5 years when I sold it). This transmission was built by the same guy, in the same shop, at the same time. Fingers crossed. I drilled and tapped the side of the pan for a temp sender. The transmission worked so good in the Old-Girl, that I had never drilled the pan for a temp sender. After cleaning and re-installing the pan, I noticed that had also neglected to safety wire the magnetic drain plug.

Old School 8

Reaction
Bought a floor jack skid plate and quick dis-mount at the LeDuc Swap Meet a few weeks ago. Waited till this weekend, when Harbor Freight was having their big sale. I brought the aluminium skid into the store, to confirm jack size. (I knew my 3 ton was too big). Turns out it was made for the 2-1/2 ton jack, which should work well.

Attachments

• skid.jpg
    skid.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 748
  • skid 2.JPG
    skid 2.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 712

Old School 8

Reaction
After attending last weekends Parker 400, I got some needed incentive to get back out in the shop. I returned home late Saturday night, and was out in the shop at noon on Sunday. This truck isn't going to finish itself. Now I just got to find the time !

Attachments

• Draft.JPG
    Draft.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 572

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Sounds like once its built and either raced a few times or not that it will end up being sold. I know sometimes it takes a long time to build a truck but have will you have lost the desire to work on the truck after every race in the future?

Kyle D

Reaction
I wish someone would figure out a way to get class 8 competition to come back. 8 trucks have so much more character than a TT IMO.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Sounds like once its built and either raced a few times or not that it will end up being sold. I know sometimes it takes a long time to build a truck but have will you have lost the desire to work on the truck after every race in the future?
Don't worry. When the truck is done, Mike D will go out and win some more Whiplash Class 8 Championships in it. This is his third (I believe ) class 8 that he has built. The other 2 were raced for years. He won't get tired of racing it, but he might miss all the crap we give him for not getting it done over the years.

Old School 8

Reaction
New aluminium rear bumper skid plate, with LED lights. Also behind plate, is an aluminium oil can holder.IMG_8765.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8765.JPG
    IMG_8765.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 349

Old School 8

Reaction
New rock screen in front of Oil and transmission coolers. Also seen here is the new siren speaker.

Attachments

• IMG_9028.JPG
    IMG_9028.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 362

Old School 8

Reaction
Only a few hours this weekend, and nothing high-tech, but it all has be done.New light bar mounts on the roof. After spending some time doing final fit on the fiberglass body, I had to figure where / how to mount light. I carefully figured out where to drill, then slot. Then made new patterns out of cardboard.

Attachments

• light bar mounts.JPG
    light bar mounts.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 245

Old School 8

Reaction
New fab work. Had to take power steering remote filter to auto parts store to find new oil filter than fits. Existing filter number did not cross in their book, so it was determined that physically checking would be the best / only way.

Attachments

• IMG_9627.JPG
    IMG_9627.JPG
    924.6 KB · Views: 162

Old School 8

Reaction
During a Off Road race I had attended as Pit Crew, I almost added wrong fluid in wrong place, in the heat of battle. After installing new power steering reservoir, I got out my stamps and identified caps

Attachments

• IMG_9631.JPG
    IMG_9631.JPG
    511.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_9632.JPG
    IMG_9632.JPG
    454.8 KB · Views: 155