New Doherty Motorsports class 8

Old School 8

Reaction
After being introduced to a new (to me) product to make power steering hoses, I had been eyeing my stainless steel braided oil lines. This hose and fitting are rated up to 3000 lbs PSI, and is rated for 3000 degree's. The red one has silicone insulation wrap installed over the new hose. And pressed on ends, installed by machine at hose company.

Attachments

• IMG_9720.JPG
    IMG_9720.JPG
    711 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_9673.JPG
    IMG_9673.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 280

Old School 8

Reaction
Side photo of engine bay, with new PS pump, PS hoses, new oil filter housing, belts and pulley's. Then aluminium panel will be covering it all.

Attachments

• engine bay.JPG
    engine bay.JPG
    636.4 KB · Views: 317

Old School 8

Reaction
A little cutting, a little bending, a little welding, a little grinding, a little drilling, and after 4 hours, here's the new dash panel. I had moved the shifter forward, as my elbow was hitting the seat. That caused a loss of switch area. Had to build something where the wire connections are protected (underneath), and out of the way.
Re-wiring next.

Attachments

• dash switch.JPG
    dash switch.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 302
  • panel.JPG
    panel.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 318

Chris Tobin

Reaction
A little cutting, a little bending, a little welding, a little grinding, a little drilling, and after 4 hours, here's the new dash panel. I had moved the shifter forward, as my elbow was hitting the seat. That caused a loss of switch area. Had to build something where the wire connections are protected (underneath), and out of the way.
Re-wiring next.
Nice, I like the drawer pulls as a switch guard as well! Good idea!!!

Old School 8

Reaction
A few months ago, I got all fired up, to well, fire it up. But the poor old carb that had been sitting for ten years, leaked. I got the oil system full, oil pressure built, water system full, and the poor carb. leaked everywhere. So I took it to my carb guy (local) and I made the mistake of saying, "Well its been under construction 10 years, so I don't need it tomorrow". My guy is well known in the carburetor world, but not a household name. Jeff Koerner Engines did such a good job 10 years ago, is why I returned. Apparently, there have been many improvements to Holley's in the last ten years, and I would not have had a clue.

Attachments

• carb top.JPG
    carb top.JPG
    838 KB · Views: 304
  • carb bottom.JPG
    carb bottom.JPG
    839 KB · Views: 250

Pickuptrucker

Reaction
Great read! Reading these home built threads really shows how much actually goes in to building a truck like this. The shops like geiser and such make it look easy, but it's obviously not!

mgobaja

Reaction
Great read! Reading these home built threads really shows how much actually goes in to building a truck like this. The shops like geiser and such make it look easy, but it's obviously not!
Very true, and most of the home build folks have full times jobs and families to see after. So finding time and money dont often happen at the right intersection. Shop builds have a dedicated facility / crew and all they need is your money.

Steve Marolda

Reaction
LOVE hearing about anything Class 8! For me these home built, production-based trucks are the epitome of off-road racing. Yeah the TT's are fast but those guys just bought their way in. The Class 8 guys work and struggle and earn their way in. Can't wait to see you running again!

Old School 8

Reaction
Well after sitting in the shop, on the floor, in the chassis, out of chassis, back in the chassis, and final assembly, SHE'S ALIVE !
Fired her up a week ago. Still have hours of assembly to do, but after 10 years, it was good to hear 700 angry horses out in my garage. This may be one of the most important posts on this thread, EVER !

Attachments

• engine sound.MOV
    3.5 MB · Views: 233

Robin Hood

Reaction
10 years and going on 20? I bet at the time, you didn't realize this build was for your grand children. What is the current status?

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Last time I saw it about 3 years ago it was close to being a runner. Needed some plumbing and a few other minor things to go testing.