New Doherty Motorsports class 8

Old School 8

Reaction
I went to the Parker race a few weeks ago, and well, its time. Its been two years, but I finally dusted off my project, aired up the tires, and floor-jacked it back into the center of my shop. Still not sure of completion date, but its time to start racing again. Yes, I'll still go on some dirt bike rides, and 1 more trip to the Dunes this year, but racing is in my blood. When I do get it finished, how will we round up all the other class 8 racers out there ? It looks like our class is not the popular class it once was (before Trophy Trucks), but Ill do everything I can to get class 8 some respect !

Febuary 2015.jpg

scottm

Reaction
Website
www.cemaz.com
Gawd it's about time! Actually I am working on mine too, for the first time in 4 years, trying to make it to the new race in Kingman next month.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Good on you Mike. Last weekend we took Olliges' class 8 to SNORE BAP. Kent Kroeker also took his Dodge Class 8 ( which I rehabbed several years ago). Dammed if you know... They finished 2nd (Olliges) and 3rd (Kroeker) in TT for the weekend.

Suck it 6100 (JK)...

Old School 8

Reaction
Well.....yes, I've fired up the old Mig welder and have begun the last 20% of work needed to get this 10 year old project finished up. I'm not saying when this will be done, but after 2 years of collecting dust, its a shame this truck isn't out winning races ! This past week, I bought 30' of silicone shielded insulation for "heat-sensitive" braided plumbing. Its a start !

Attachments

• silicone hose.JPG
    silicone hose.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,082

Old School 8

Reaction
For some reason, when I welded up the bump-stop cans last year, they warped. So I cut them off this weekend I welded on new ones. Took care welding, and bump stops now fit like they are supposed too.

Attachments

• bump stop.JPG
    bump stop.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,051

Old School 8

Reaction
Last night I installed the new transmission shifter. I had to move the battery switch to the right a little to make clearance for the bolts. The bolts on the driver side of the shifter, would have gone through the tubing under the aluminium deck.

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 963

71f1hundy

Reaction
Awsome to see it getting worked on!!! Ive been watching for a while, I bought that huge c and r radiator from you a couple years back. Cant wait to see it done man!!

Old School 8

Reaction
Tonight's up-date. I built these headers a few years back. Ceracoated on the outside, thermal coated on the inside. Finally bolted up to the engine, for the last time ? Will get to finish up bolting on the rest of the exhaust (which is also Ceracoated and Thermal coated), soon.

Attachments

• headers.JPG
    headers.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 964
  • pontiac.JPG
    pontiac.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 959

Old School 8

Reaction
Today I picked up eight aluminium panels I had taken to the powedercoat, to have them Ceracoated. They will need the insulating property of the finish, as they are next to the headers.

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 893

Old School 8

Reaction
Over the busy weekend, I didn't get in a lot of fab time, but Sunday I installed 40 buttons (and 80 rivets) on the newly plated aluminum panels.

Attachments

• gold.JPG
    gold.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 901

Old School 8

Reaction
Didn't get much fab done this week, but here's what I got: A fuel cell cover. Should keep the sun, and mud, off of the top of the cell, fuel pumps, and fuel filters.

Attachments

• CellCover1.jpg
    CellCover1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 742
  • CellCover2.jpg
    CellCover2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 775

Old School 8

Reaction
I didn't get to go to the Baja 1000 this week (work), but I did get to spend some shop time today (Sunday).
I was not happy with my rear shock mount gusseting. Although the shock mounts, geometry, and travel were figure out long ago ("long ago" sounds funny), I made new reinforcement gussets.

Attachments

• shock mounts.JPG
    shock mounts.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 757

Old School 8

Reaction
I have to walk around this truck when I go into my garage, and I had some time over the holidays, so I figured it was time to work on a few things. Bought a new MSD cap, rotor, and wires. And some new plugs. Had to install the pass-through ignition block in the firewall, and make a bunch of short coil wires.

Attachments

• IMG_6661.JPG
    IMG_6661.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_6663.JPG
    IMG_6663.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 502

Old School 8

Reaction
New water pump. For years I used a "long" pump (aluminium) because that's what trucks used. Today, most race accessories are based on the "short" pump. You may notice I drilled and tapped two outlets on the pressure side. I use a small block 400, and they have a common heating problem between the center cylinders. This up-grade pumps water to the bottom (center) of the heads, and there are outlets drilled into the top center of the heads, leading back to the "intake" (return) side of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_6660.JPG
    IMG_6660.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 500

Old School 8

Reaction
I was having a rough time finding disc brake caliper mounts with a 6" bolt spread, to finish the front spindle / up-rights. And I really didnt want to build ones new from scratch. Seems that Wilwood doesnt make these huge calipers anymore. They have a 6' bolt spread, and the common spread now is 5.5 ? Anyway, I got these and will modify them to make work over the weekend.

Attachments

• mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 420

Old School 8

Reaction
Weekend, the weekend is over ! After some gringing and cutting, I "made" the machined caliper mount work. I think it came out pretty good.

Attachments

• calipe weld.jpg
    calipe weld.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 376