New Gears

Ahles

Reaction
I just installed a new 3rd member with 6.0 gears (Ford 9-inch) for my class 7s truck. I was told that you need to break in the gears before our race next weekend. Does anybody know how much or how long?

Dave Ahles
Makena Motorsports

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
As long as the backlash is set proper just run it. With the 6.0s you may need to change them about every 4 races as long as the third member is prepped each race.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I usually put the truck up on jack stands and idle it in 3rd or 4th gear for about 1/2 hr. Let cool then a nice easy street drive or two. Change gear oil then let the beatings comence!

BlueCoyote

Reaction
From my Precisoin Gear install manual

"1 Insure that axle has been filled to the correct level with hypoid lubricant.
2 Bring the axle to normal operating temperature by driving the vehicle unloaded for 15 to 20 miles. Do not create any shock loads.
3. Let the axle cool completely
4. For the next 200 miles of operation drive gently without any heavy loads.
5. If trailer towing is intended, an additional cycle of 200-300 miles break in is required without the trailer....."

On the Toyotas I have always done two complete cycles, change to oil and drive conservitavly for 100 to 200 miles. To date no gear failures.
6.0 gears - that must be one very small pinion. On the Toyota 5.71 the pinion is so small that they break under any kind of hard use.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

JCA

Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I usually put the truck up on jack stands and idle it in 3rd or 4th gear for about 1/2 hr. Let cool then a nice easy street drive or two. Change gear oil then let the beatings comence!

<hr></blockquote>

I do about the same thing but it is 3 sessions of 45min-1hr letting it completely cool in between. I then take it out testing and put at least 50-100 miles on it prior to racing it. I have been told by most that if it goes for more than 50 it will be good and so far that has been correct. I had one set of gears that were not set up right and they went out at about 40 miles.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Ahles

Reaction
Thanks for the advice, I will run it on the jack stands a few times. Not sure if I will be able to run many conservative miles before the race.

FYI: My last set of gears were 6.0 and I got about 2,000 miles over 12 races from them. The last race the bearing cap cracked on top and let the end piece become loose and dropped the spool out of alignment and another 20 miles took all the teeth off the ring gear. Upgraded to a larger bearings/case!

Dave

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
2000 miles sounds about 4 or 5 races to me with testing.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"