New guy from GA looking to purchase.

CR500Rider3

Hey guys/gals, I’m new to prerunners/dual sports. I am looking at purchasing a street legal car that has an LS1 and Mendeola 2D. The owner says 3rd and 4th gear have been widened for street use. My question is, how fast do you think this car would be able to go? I will be driving it on the street a good amount and I want to make sure it can cruise comfortably and not be too wound out. The owner said “you should be able to get it to 55mph”. That was a bit concerning to me as I figured I’d be able to get more out of it than that. What are your thoughts? I apologize for the ignorance, I’m completely new to these cars. Thank you!

Lousy street vehicle, IMHO. No side protection for instance.

Geared right, LS1 engine should push a sub- 4000 lb load to over 100, but it won't be an efficient ride.

Will it stop quickly from speed, with little skidding and darting?

How much experience do you have operating vehicles lacking stability systems, ABS, doors, windows, etc.?

CR500Rider3

Lousy street vehicle, IMHO. No side protection for instance.

Geared right, LS1 engine should push a sub- 4000 lb load to over 100, but it won't be an efficient ride.

Will it stop quickly from speed, with little skidding and darting?

How much experience do you have operating vehicles lacking stability systems, ABS, doors, windows, etc.?
Thank you for the info! I imagined it wouldn’t be efficient, but I’m not really expecting it to be. I just want to be able to jump on the highway if possible and I’d mainly be driving roads that are 45-55mph. I daily drove a very small VW sand rail for 2 years rain or shine. I have a good amount of Offroad experience and I race shifter karts so I’m familiar with how vehicles handle.

Tell us more about the vehicle you are considering? Is it street licensed in GA?

Danny Foddrill has been building off road race vehicles for longer than I care to remember, good guy. That car won't have any issues cruising at 55MPH except maybe local law enforcement. I'd imagine with that gearing, it might well exceed 110 near redline in 4th. I assume the ad copy means it's a wide-ratio gearset, as opposed to a close ratio box more suitable to racing.

I'd check re: licensing. AZ will license trikes, quads, sxs, race trucks and even a Gordini, pretty lax. Don't know about GA rules.

Good luck. Hope you can pull it off. You'll have big fun steering with the throttle compared to VW power. :D

CR500Rider3

Danny Foddrill has been building off road race vehicles for longer than I care to remember, good guy. That car won't have any issues cruising at 55MPH except maybe local law enforcement. I'd imagine with that gearing, it might well exceed 110 near redline in 4th. I assume the ad copy means it's a wide-ratio gearset, as opposed to a close ratio box more suitable to racing.

I'd check re: licensing. AZ will license trikes, quads, sxs, race trucks and even a Gordini, pretty lax. Don't know about GA rules.

Good luck. Hope you can pull it off. You'll have big fun steering with the throttle compared to VW power. :D
Glad to know it wont have any trouble cruising going that fast. I have a lot of hurdles, but I am determined to make one street legal over here. Another hurdle will be figuring out hand controls because its a manual. I am a paraplegic so I will need to figure out some kind of control for the clutch and shifting. I will post back here when I make it all come together. Thank you for your help!

You might mount a clutch lever on the shift lever itself or perhaps on a stalk of the left side of steering column. Hydraulic clutch should be able to a lot of options.

Just curious, what about a full size car do you prefer over a UTV?

Good luck with your endeavors.