New guy with S-10, and LOTS of questions

SJP12

Reaction
hello all. i've been ready and getting all of the great info on this site for a while now and it seems as though most everybody on here knows what there talking about.

Heres my questions.

I've got a 2001 S-10 Extcab 4.3V6 auto.
I would like to (when i have the money) put some 31" tires on it. My truck is used for mainly highway driving and haulin around my dirtbike. The only tiime it see's dirt is when i go to glamis,pismo,dumont, beaumont etc. So i don't think i need some really wild kit, but i would like something that would allow me to drive faster that 15mph down a dirt road. What would you guys (and girls) recommed me getting , Which kit, shocks, springs, tires, rims, any and all info is needed. One last thing, i want something that is 100% bolt on, i don't want to be cutting up a brand new truck. Thanks Sean

heavy8

Reaction
I think the best bang for buck in your situation would be some lift spindals in the front, and longer shackels in the rear. I would also run bilstien shocks (5100) on all 4 corners, its the shocks that will help it off road the most. The spindals/shackels will make room for the 31 tires. I belive fabtech and bullseye make the spindals. You can get the bilstiens at just about any off road retail shop.

SJP12

Reaction
I guess we don't have many S-10 owners out there? Thanks anyway.

JOSH

Reaction
you don't have many options with the S-10/Sonoma's, There are only a few guys that make bolt on kits for your truck ( fabtech, CST) and to tell you the truth they both suck for anything more than highway driving ( CST has a upper uniball arm setup now to try to get rid of the ball joint problems associated with lifting the s-series trucks. Your best bet is a upper arm/spindle/spring lift. (don't get lowers, waste of $$)
5100's all around, and shackles. If your not going to beat on it put the 4 Cyl. Springs in the front so you will have a better ride.

Good Luck

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i ahve an s10 i like it kinda but there is alot of small problemsif i had the money to do it over again id do something completely different. but the blistein 5100's are deffinatly the shock to get and id go with CST over fabtech i think.

Gregg

RHEES

Reaction
4:10 or 4:56 gears for the 31's,fiberglass fronts a must. Watch those motor mounts-if you jump your truck and they break loose the built in cages still have enough movement to remove your radiator shroud, fan, and everything else that gets in the way. I just ended up running electric fans instead of replacing everything. As far as suspension good luck on anything bolt on. The long travel kits are allright for some people, unless you like to go fast. Just my unedumacated input.

Donahoe

Reaction
put spindles and bilstien 5100's on it and call it done.... DONT TOUCH THE A-ARMS>>>.BAD......VERY BAD...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I just got a new Silverado Z-71, I am leaving it stock except rims and tires and would like to put some 5100's under it.. Has anyone shopped them around.. Where is the best deal?? Thanks in advance.

Skyler

Reaction
I got my best deal on 5100's at Autozone, the lifetime warranty rocks and most of the people there don't know what a pre-runner is and what I do to those shocks and I have been able to take 'em back and get new ones F.O.C.

<font color=green>Skyler</font color=green>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The new unpainted 5100s are nice. Same thing but look nicer. I think 55-75 is price range of a 5100.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"It's not an oil leak, it's sweat from all the horsepower"

ntsqd

Reaction
Those new plated 5100's are good for exactly two trips to Baja b4 they start rusting. A friend has an RCD kit under his 2500HD Duramax. The 5100's have started to rust. The driver side is bad, the pass side is a little more than just surface rust. I don't know how much he drives it on the beach, but he does go down there to wave-ski and tends to stay at least a week at a time. This is a guy who leaves early on Sunday so that he can wash the truck b4 Monday when his detail guy comes around. Washing the under part of the truck is part of the normal for him.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

sirhk100

Reaction
Hmmm, I'll let the guys in marketing know about that rusting thing. I'm sure they've already heard about it but if not they'll get in touch with Bilstein and find out what's up with that....

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

ntsqd

Reaction
Bilstein has already lost my friend. He's concluded that he needs some 2.5 King's & hyd. bumps to handle that heavy engine on the Baja roads. I'm hoping he'll kick down with the 5100's so I can double up the Burb. I'll POR-15 them and then they won't rust. :)

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages