• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Jimco

Rory

Crayola Killer
John, how long ago were those shots taken? I was under the impression it would be done for Laughlin? Any truth to the matter?

Racers Only

John Bitting

Administrator
Rory they were taken this morning. It will be done. Just kidding. I am not sure how long ago they were taken. They were sent to me by the Julsons so I could post them. I have been following this project since it was started. It is Markings new car. From what I understand it is at his house now and he is finishing it. Looks awesome. This car runs the big Mendeola 5 speed and is a mid engine. Jimco will also offer another version with a live axle. The front ends will be the same. So you could buy 3 different cars from them. Pretty awesome. I cant wait to see this one run..

DPpatrol

That is a sharp looking buggy. Is it racing Class 1? If so, the truggys better watch out.

jason

hammer

The car will be racing in class one, and as far as Laughlin John is doing everything he can to make sure the car will be ready.

scott

WOW !!! Nice. Its cool to see they'll have different configurations, with the live axle, and the transaxle. I think its safe to say that Class 1 is going to be even more competitive than ever !!!!!

Doug_Powell

Excellent! Its about time somebody tried running 37s on a beefed up buggy, and have the horsepower to push it too. Ivan was the only racer I can think of who has run 37s on a "buggy" or non live axle truck chassis. Julson has out done himself on this one. I bet John will be real happy with this design. I cant wait to see it in person up close at Laughlin.

Jimmy8

I think fortin's original tt was not live axle and had 37's along with letners TT I think. How about the new kia, it has 37's and independent rear suspension.

PMC Racing

Tony_Barraza

Doug-

There have actually been several other "buggies" to run 37's all the way around-
Rod Muller-Porter

Ex-Damen Jefferies-Porter

Wilson Motorsports-Jimco

Not alot, but a few.

Congrats and Best of Luck to John Marking and Jimco!

Tony B.

Doug_Powell

Yeah, I knew the Porter chassis and one of the Wilsons Class 1 cars ran 35" Projects front and back. I didn't think any of them ran 37's yet though but I could be wrong. How long before anyone thinks BFG might make a 39" or 40" Baja Project T/a?

John Bitting

Administrator
Bigger tire more contact surface, 19" wheel so sidewall stays the same. Why ask why. Should be cool. Score rules allows up to a 40" tire so why not. Jimmy, your dad I am sure did not always run 35's on his class 8 I am sure as things got stronger he went bigger ending up with 35's.

Doug_Powell

As to why a larger tire? I think theres only so much a shock can do to handle the rough terrain. Running a larger tire, though much more strenuous on a vehicle and heavier unsprung and rotational weight, just makes the vehicle work better in the terrain. I used to run a 7.5 x 16 on my 10 car, and I stepped up to a 33 in the front like I run in the back, and I noticed the tires dont drop down into all the ruts like they used to, and they roll/skip better over the whoop-dee-doos. The larger the rolling diameter the less small rocks tend to effect them too. I just seem to feel less of the terrain.

Watching the Speedvision videos from the last couple years, the Class 1 vehicles with 35s up front instead of 33s just seem to be a bit smoother. Fortins car worked awesome this last 1000 with 35s up front. The video of him leading the race towards the end over some rough stuff was amazing. He carried a good 5-10mph more over the whoop-dee-doos than the other class 1 cars running 33s. Part of this I am sure is due to his shock valving/spring setup and the lower weight of his car and a maybe a heavier right foot! But in general, the tire diameter increase seems to be the way to go. I cant wait to see how good Markings car works over the next year. Those spindles on the car are extremely stout, should be plenty strong to support 37" Projects.

BTW, is it just me or does the front of Markings car look sort of similar to the front of the Stewart Race Works Truggy? Not counting the alluminum upper a-arm. I saw the truggy is entered at Laughlin too by Wayne Lugo, should be great to see that run there as well!

Jimmy8

One thing we learned on our 8 truck is that running 37's on the front made everything work a lot harder and tore things up a lot more. Now we run 37's on the rear and 36's up front. That little bit made a big difference.

PMC Racing

Tony_Barraza

Doug/Everyone-

I stand corrected!

I would have bet money they were all on 37's.

My mistake!

Tony B.

Steve_Sourapas

Fortin's TT was built by Chenowth and it used 35's BFG Projects with Chevy V-6 power and Alcoa 15"wheels. Also John Marking did alot of the design work on many of the parts on the new Jimco and it is a beauty,now Mendeola needs to get the transmission done so he can go to Laughlin.

BEERMAN<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Steve_Sourapas on 01/07/02 05:27 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Rory

Crayola Killer
Hey BEERMAN,
I thought you were retiring? Saw your name on the Laughlin entry list and heard today you DID NOT sell your car as originally thought. Sooooo, is it true, are you racing Laughlin? If so, WELCOME BACK! See you at the Laughlin Leap on the 24th.

Racers Only