• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Kenwood TM-271A radio

i just did the mod to my new yeseu 2900 and went very easily using a basic soldering iron. as soon as i touched the solder it split back to each side, no needing to manipulate the solder "puddle". i have done the mod and the radio doesn't turn off like it used to when i would try to transmit above 147 mhz, but no one locally has a vhf radio, is there another way i can double check to see if im transmitting on those channels?

JoesEdge

i just did the mod to my new yeseu 2900 and went very easily using a basic soldering iron. as soon as i touched the solder it split back to each side, no needing to manipulate the solder "puddle". i have done the mod and the radio doesn't turn off like it used to when i would try to transmit above 147 mhz, but no one locally has a vhf radio, is there another way i can double check to see if im transmitting on those channels?
You don't know of a buddy with a radio or a scanner that can scan 151.625? Seems like that's the only way.

dr shaw6

The yeasu will read "ERROR" on the screen if the mod was not done right. Also watch the power scale, and some sort light should turn red durring transmit to show it is working. Dont forget to do a full reset after the mod.

You don't know of a buddy with a radio or a scanner that can scan 151.625? Seems like that's the only way.
nope, exactly why i asked.

The yeasu will read "ERROR" on the screen if the mod was not done right. Also watch the power scale, and some sort light should turn red durring transmit to show it is working. Dont forget to do a full reset after the mod.
got the error and the it says ''txt'' i believe and shows the power scale when transmitting. also did the full reset. guess i will just have to wait until i take it to pismo or the desert to find out.

dr shaw6

If the radio is reading error its not modified yet. Im not faniliar with modding that model radio, but it sounds like like you just un-solder a solder joint. If so, I usually use a magnifing glass cause most radios today are all surface mounted stuff and its hard to see what you are doing. I would check the joint you un-soldered with a magnifing glass to make sure you got it all, or evan the right one. I only say that because about a month ago i just modded a FTM 10r and clipped the right diod...and the one right next to it on accident. DUHH! Good news is Yeasu only charges $65 to fix most radios that take less than an hour of labor.

Triaged

Other than just unsoldering the pad you also have to do a reset.

"While powering up the radio press and hold the DW REV – A/N LOW – MW D/MR buttons simultaneously to perform a full reset. Confirm the reset when prompted by pushing MW D/MR"

charlie_brown

Other than just unsoldering the pad you also have to do a reset.

"While powering up the radio press and hold the DW REV – A/N LOW – MW D/MR buttons simultaneously to perform a full reset. Confirm the reset when prompted by pushing MW D/MR"
do you have to do this with a V8000? i never did and maybe thats why i kept blowing them.

desertspeed

I just picked one of these (Kenwood TM-271a) up to use as a "base" radio in the RV and need help with the mod- I opened the radio up and found the R119 resistor. However, all of the instructions I have found say to "remove" it. I tried to pull it out with a pair of tweezers and the top of it just kind of broke apart. I have tried prying it up/out with some jewelers screwdrivers and no go. Has anyone else who has done the mod had this issue? Maybe breaking the resistor will work, but it would be nice to get confirmation of that. I have searched all over the www but couldn't find anything other than the standard instructions posted earlier in this thread- thanks!

scottm

By 'removing' they mean desoldering it and take it off. Breaking it will be effectively the same thing.

desertspeed

It looks like it is imbedded into the circuit board rather than soldered to it. I am just going to try to break it up as best as I can and then I will try it out. Hopefully that will work.....

scottm

Its probably a surface-mount resistor, which doesnt have wires passing through the board. It will desolder and come off with a small soldering iron tip.

JoesEdge

It looks like it is imbedded into the circuit board rather than soldered to it. I am just going to try to break it up as best as I can and then I will try it out. Hopefully that will work.....
Yeah, that's what I did. I just took a utility knife with a brand new blade and broke it off. If you really want, PM and I'll take a picture of the circuit board for you. I can even post it here if you need so others can see.

Joey

Porboy

I have done the mod on several units and I just use a pair of the wifes cuticle clippers and clip the whole top of the resitor off. No soldering needed.

sounds like this is ok for a chase vehicle.. what are you guys using for your pit team as in hand held and for your race car r u running pci/rigid or something else? i have to buy all this next month

desertspeed

Yeah, that's what I did. I just took a utility knife with a brand new blade and broke it off. If you really want, PM and I'll take a picture of the circuit board for you. I can even post it here if you need so others can see.

Joey
Thanks for the offer, but I was able to pry it off last night. From the instructions, I had it in my mind that it was kind of plugged into the circuit board. However, it is just a tiny resistor that is glued onto the board. Once it popped of it was obvious. Thanks everyone for the help.

desertspeed

I have done the mod on several units and I just use a pair of the wifes cuticle clippers and clip the whole top of the resitor off. No soldering needed.
In retrospect, those would work perfect, or even nail clippers. I am not sure I would want to desolder it either, since there are other capacitors that are soldered on the back side of the circuit board right where the resistor is.

JoesEdge

Thanks for the offer, but I was able to pry it off last night. From the instructions, I had it in my mind that it was kind of plugged into the circuit board. However, it is just a tiny resistor that is glued onto the board. Once it popped of it was obvious. Thanks everyone for the help.
Right on! Glad it worked out for you.

scottm

A year later I finally went looking to buy this Kenwood for a base radio for parker. Newsflash: They are now called the TM-281A, and have 65 watts output. $180 at antenna farm:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...=product_info&cPath=66_67_70&products_id=5169

For the same amount you can also get a yaesu ft2900r:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3134

They seem very similar. Both are easily converted to full range. The yaesu has more rf output and 3w audio. I am thinking about going with the yeasu because I have yeasu handhelds and I almost understand how they work... Would either one work better than the other with an extended antenna?

JoesEdge

A year later I finally went looking to buy this Kenwood for a base radio for parker. Newsflash: They are now called the TM-281A, and have 65 watts output. $180 at antenna farm:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...=product_info&cPath=66_67_70&products_id=5169

For the same amount you can also get a yaesu ft2900r:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3134

They seem very similar. Both are easily converted to full range. The yaesu has more rf output and 3w audio. I am thinking about going with the yeasu because I have yeasu handhelds and I almost understand how they work... Would either one work better than the other with an extended antenna?

Scott,

I have both radios, the 271A and the 2900R. I read that the Kenwood 281 is very similar as far as "modding" goes. I can get you more information about that if you want since I belong to a group dedicated to that radio.

Honestly, I like my Kenwood over the Yaseu. I like the front firing speaker, so you can pretty much mount it anywhere. With the Yaseu, you have to have the bbottom of the unit unobstructed so that you can hear the speaker, because the speaker fires from the bottom. If you're wiring an external speaker or are mounting the radio on your headliner, then I guess that doesn't matter.

There are things about the Yaseu that makes it feel "cheap" to me when compared to the Kenwood such as the knobs, mic, and power leads (there's no inline fuse) unlike the Kenwood.

It's up to you which one to get, but I figured I'd give you my review on the 2900R. I hope this helps with your decision. As far as an extended antenna goes, I figure it would be pretty much the same. The Yaseu has a bit more advertised wattage, but I think the difference is not even noticeable.

Joey