New Kit Class for Desert Racing

pgarfinkle

RDC Crypto
I would recommend contacting BITD directly regarding their plans for the class in the upcoming years.

http://bitd.com/contact-best-in-the-desert/

3475 C Boulder Highway,
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 457-5775, fax (702) 641-2431
bitd@bitd.com

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9 am – 5pm

Gee, thanks.

I already did that and was told that it would be up to those racing the class to work this out with them. So I came on here to ask those that are racing what they knew.

Scott,

Do you race in this class currently or have you recently?

dragonX

RDC Crypto
From my understanding the same races will be part of the series along with 2 more. Can't remember the names but they were announced in the press conference and ad drivers meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgarfinkle

RDC Crypto
Thanks DragonX.

If that is the case, then makes it almost a full season and that's pretty cool!

J Prich

RDC Crypto
First, thank for answering my question, J Prich. Can you answer the part about which races will be included?

Second, I was merely asking a question about the future of this class at BITD. Instead of getting an answer, I got a bunch of trumped up hype to which I stated some facts.

I am not against the rule change as you claim, even though I feel that it will not save the class. If it does then great. But even changing it from a Pro to a Sportsman is altering the basis of the class to begin with. I imagine the reduced entry fee is just as much of a draw as the rule changes.

This class has tried to be resurrected several times, but as of yet there really isn't much improvement in it's condition, thus my questioning. I have even offered my own funds as prize money before to get people to race and that had no impact. I was heavily invested in this class and have been following it very closely over the last few years while I am taking a break from truck racing.

I know you have spent time getting this to where it is today, as you have stated in this thread (same rules as before this thread), but I don't recall you being a part of the discussion when the rules were changed a year before this thread started nor do I recall ever seeing you post in the Mini Metal forum on here so I am not sure you know the recent history of the struggles this class has seen. Maybe you do, I try not to assume on anyone's behalf. But I do have to ask what class you had in mind when you started building your truck 5 years ago. Was it designed for the rules of the 7100 class at that time?

I honestly hope that the class succeeds, in some form, just as I always have whether I am racing it or not.

Fair enough, I readily admit that I'm a little defensive about it all and get frustrated with the negative stuff that goes along with trying to accomplish something positive. Based on your history as you've described it I'm sure you're no stranger to that.

Regarding scheduling for next year, it hasn't been ironed out yet. As you noted in another reply, my impression of Casey's view of this class based on our conversations is that he is content to let it exist and does not intend to "manage" it. He has left the class details to include things like scheduling to be dictated by an intermediary. As discussed, I anticipate some kind of conversation amongst the guys currently racing the class to iron out what makes the most sense for next year.

If I were to be I would say it will almost certainly contain the Mint and would expect the other two to be shorter duration type races. Again will wait until the collective group of current folks has had an opportunity to express their opinions and then will work back through that intermediary to approve with Casey. Will be happy to post that stuff once it's all worked out but obviously with the 2016 schedule just announced a few days ago I suspect it's going to take people a bit of time to work through that.

Regarding the other stuff...I'l just briefly touch on it because in the grand scheme of things its probably not particularly relevant. My truck was built to meet Class 2000 rules as HDRA laid them out, taken from what was going to be Class 1500 in MDR in the late 2000s. A group of people approached SNORE around the same time and asked SNORE to adopt the same rules and create a class. They did create the class, but did not adopt the HDRA rules and instead opted to make it an open leaf sprung class.

I did not post in the mini metal days nor did I input much to the conversation a few years back during the 1st batch of rule change discussions. In fact the few things I did say I qualified by saying that my thoughts on the subject weren't really relevant anyway because we weren't 7S guys.

The second round of discussions as started by this thread was not initiated by me obviously. When the idea was floated I absolutely jumped in to provide input and have since worked with the key folks involved to try to set this thing in motion. I live 5,000 miles away and pay more in plane tickets just to get to races than I do in entry fees. In fact double to get to V2R. But I committed to having my truck at all 3 races because I believe this class is a great opportunity and also believe that the best way to get more guys to show up is to show up.

I concede that the current iteration of this class is not the utopia that 7S apparently once was. It will never be what it used to be. It's entirely possible that the days of 20 mini trucks battling it out are gone but I personally don't think for a second that the fact that through the first two races of this year there have been 4 trucks entered constitutes some kind of failure. We've talked to a lot of people who are interested in the class and while that doesn't mean anything until they show up at the starting line, the fact that people are discussing the possibilities indicates there is a future here.

Further, while there is no payback as a pro class, as I said the sportsman entry fee automatically saves everyone who enters. Justin Park will not get any payback from BITD for his win, but his entry was $1500 less than it would have been if he had to pay the pro entry fee. I don't know what payback is for winning a four truck race but my guess is it's probably not much more than that. And in spite of the pro class stigma, a handful of companies are still supporting this class with contingency as well. I suspect the more this grows the stronger the case will be to get more companies involved.

Again, I understand that the changes were not received well amongst the old 7S guard and I understand why. But as stated here and elsewhere for whatever reason the "old" way was essentially dead in the water. The 5 teams that have raced the class to date so far may not impress anyone or signal the rebirth of the glory days of 7S but it certainly indicates that the new way is drawing some interest with the potential for further growth.

pgarfinkle

RDC Crypto
Thank you J Prich for the insight and answers I was looking for.

I am sure we can both agree that mini truck racing will never return to what some may view as the glory days but that doesn't mean it can't experience a metamorphosis into something equal and up with the times.

It is sad for me to see the stock based classes die but I understand the economics involved and the attraction of the spec classes (TL, 6100, etc.).

I also wish that the leaf spring classes could have a unified set of rules across and sanctioning bodies so nobody gets "stuck" with just one place to race. (It seems like you have already experienced that frustration to some degree in your build) As it stands now, the BITD 7100 is not legal in SCORE 7SX or the other organizers' 7S classes. I realize that you can run an "old school" 7100 in BITD but you maybe at a disadvantage to the others.

There will never be a perfect for everyone set of rules out there, for this or any class. Lets just hope that the new 7100 can grow and last. I am more than happy to offer my experiences in the class and support you if I can. Perhaps we can grab a pint or two the next race we are both at.

Todd Walter

RDC Crypto
I'm still building my truck and plan to be at all 3 races next year season along with Parker in Febuary just because. I believe there are at least 3 more trucks still be built right now so that shows 8 in the class soon. I believe the class will keep growing and will get very competitive. We do have a lot of great companies (like Camburg, Yukon gear and general tire) helping us all out and putting up great contingency prizes for being such a small class. Hopefully if the class grows big enough score and everyone else will adopt the bitd rules so we can race other sanctions to.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Just wanted to run through the current contingency for 7100 as it stands right now...

Camburg
Per Race: 1st $750 in product, 2nd $500, 3rd $250
Championship: $1000 in product, 2nd $750, 3rd $500

KC Hilites
Per Race: 1st $500 in product, 2nd $250, 3rd $100
Championship: $1000 in product, 2nd $750, 3rd $500

General Tire
Per Race: 1st $1000 cash, 2nd $500, 3rd $300

KMC Wheels
Per Race: 1st $1000 in product, 2nd $500, 3rd $250

Magnaflow:
Per Race: 1st $500 in product, 2nd $250, 3rd $125

This is in addition to the other odds and ends, Baja Designs, Airraid, Rigid, etc that offer contingency to all classes. Make sure to jump on board and support these companies that are supporting Class 7100!

lifted&slifted

RDC Crypto
With buying my 2nd home and my daughter being born...I was not able to complete my truck this year. However, I'm in line to finish it up in a month and I will be racing the 2016 season!!!

ParksHouse Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Thank you J Prich for the insight and answers I was looking for.

I am sure we can both agree that mini truck racing will never return to what some may view as the glory days but that doesn't mean it can't experience a metamorphosis into something equal and up with the times.

It is sad for me to see the stock based classes die but I understand the economics involved and the attraction of the spec classes (TL, 6100, etc.).

I also wish that the leaf spring classes could have a unified set of rules across and sanctioning bodies so nobody gets "stuck" with just one place to race. (It seems like you have already experienced that frustration to some degree in your build) As it stands now, the BITD 7100 is not legal in SCORE 7SX or the other organizers' 7S classes. I realize that you can run an "old school" 7100 in BITD but you maybe at a disadvantage to the others.

There will never be a perfect for everyone set of rules out there, for this or any class. Lets just hope that the new 7100 can grow and last. I am more than happy to offer my experiences in the class and support you if I can. Perhaps we can grab a pint or two the next race we are both at.

The teams in code, record, and Acosaq are waiting for the new 7100 build to enter the 7sx class with open arms. Score will let us run there is no 7sx trucks in score only at the baja500. Most 7sx trucks are not the same as the old rules down south anyway.. most have 14" of travel and are not to spec with the old 7sx rules.

Its time to adjust or drift away period!

We had a great run at the Vegas to reno race and are getting ready for Bluewater! There are and will be more entries at Bluewater and in 2016 We hope the new schedule works out so we can all run the baja 500.

I have spoke to score and they are aware of the new 7100/7sx rules in BITD. I will be going to their office with the truck to go over the merger or simply make it 7100...

LT kits and bolt on parts are more affordable than ever get some and come race class 7100!!

www.camburg.com

www.class7100racing.com

DSC_0328 CON EFECTO SURREALISTA.jpg

milestonemotorsports

RDC Crypto
I thought SCORE has the 2000 class which is the same leaf spring and bolt on kits in front

J Prich

RDC Crypto
SCORE does have Class 2000, they carried it over from HDRA. It's the right motor rules too, just no one racing it.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Blue Water is coming up and the wheels are turning for how to handle 2016 to help keep this thing growing.

2016 schedule is likely going to be a 3-4 race deal focusing on the shorter distance races to include one or two of the new BITD races.

For Blue Water... a couple of things that have come up and note these are my PERSONAL opinions, not necessarily shared by everyone else....

Traditional 7S trucks - The current rules say stock motor which makes a lot of the old 7S trucks not legal. The compromise being advocated is that if you can run a "race" motor (ie not stock) IF you are still running traditional 7S suspension. I pesonally feel this keeps a fair HP/travel balance. You CAN'T run a tricked out motor AND upgrade your 7S truck to long travel. But I personally think the 7S guys with a bigger motor but 12" suspension are all good. Bring them out!

Jeepspeeds - A few of us have been contacted by some Jeepspeed guys looking to defect and run their Jeepspeeds in 7100. I confess that I do have some concerns of "fairness" based on the fact that 1700 Jeepspeed rules allow for more motor but I personally think comparitively they match up pretty well with 7100 trucks. My personal feeling is game on for Blue Water, bring them too.

My personal goal for all of this in terms of class development is to be as inclusive as possible while maintaining as level a playing feild as can reasonably be achieved. It's not a "spec" class so some are going to have more horses, some are going to have more travel, etc but as long as those are kept within reasonable tolerances I'm pretty happy. I'd love to see some of the stock motor/long travel 7100s lined up with some traditional 7S trucks and some Jeepspeeds.

Anyway, hope to see more of you out at Blue Water and in to next year!

pgarfinkle

RDC Crypto
On the current rules, the stock motor restrictions only applies if you are 3000 cc and over (under that size they can be built up). Are you suggesting that motors over that displacement are aloud to be built up as long as the suspension travel is limited? And if you run longer travel suspension your motor must observe the stock rules unless it is 2999cc or smaller? Or would it be open motor (regardless of size) with limited suspension or open suspension with limited motor?

jcarius

RDC Crypto
First, thanks for all your effort to make this class work.

I'm going to be dumping my buggy program in favor of a truck or jeepspeed - the decision has been made. I've been seriously shopping for a couple months - from where I sit allowing in jeepspeeds would dramatically increase the number of vehicles available for me to choose from.

Jim

Last edited:

Pee Wee

RDC Crypto
First, thanks for all your effort to make this class work.

I'm going to be dumping my buggy program in favor of a truck or jeepspeed - the decision has been made. I've been seriously shopping for a couple months - from where I sit allowing in jeepspeeds would dramatically increase the number of vehicles available for me to choose from.

Jim

Jeepspeed pulls bigger numbers so you would want to race in Jeepspeed class. Not knocking 7100.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
On the current rules, the stock motor restrictions only applies if you are 3000 cc and over (under that size they can be built up). Are you suggesting that motors over that displacement are aloud to be built up as long as the suspension travel is limited? And if you run longer travel suspension your motor must observe the stock rules unless it is 2999cc or smaller? Or would it be open motor (regardless of size) with limited suspension or open suspension with limited motor?

Probably deeper than I personally have thought about it. My personal intent is just to create an opportunity for the traditional 7S guys to come play without having to screw with motor stuff, etc. Am open to insight and opinions on what makes the most sense in this regard.

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us
How stupid is it that I have to race against 4300cc motors from a Riverside wrecking yard???..... This is HOW 7s was killed.... ONE person wanted to race their junk yard 4300.....
What happened to the "fun" of building your own motor??? Half the reason I got into racing was because I like to build my OWN race engines.....
For me, it's like a bunch of kids got together and decided to change the rules of 7s so they could race their MILK COMES FROM BOTTLES race trucks..... I still don't get it.... Explain why 20 four banger mini trucks showing up back in the day was a BAD thing....???
Build a SCORE legal 7s truck or GTFO!!!!.... That's just my opinion.... Oh wait, I'm one of those old school people....Prich, it's only a coincidence that I posted under your comment.... I read these threads, and get pissed off, wondering why 7s was destroyed.... I was saving my truck for my daughter to race.... She's 13 years old.....

Attachments

• Copy of toyota truck 002.jpg
    Copy of toyota truck 002.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited: