• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Kit Class for Desert Racing

sirhk100

The funny thing to me is right now... I don't think the true 7S racers have anything to be worried about with these new trucks showing up. Most of you old school 7S truck guys have your trucks so dialed in and your race program so dialed in and your trucks so proven compared to most of the newer styled trucks. Sure, give us new guys building trucks to the newer rules a few years to get them dialed, proven, tested, etc and to learn the game of racing and the logistics of how to do it all, then you may have something to worry about. But that's going to take time and in that time you guys can just as easily I'd think update your trucks to take advantage of the newer rules.

I know at the mint, the other 2 teams were a bit intimidated by the stats of our truck yet me and Jason were laughing knowing we were completely out matched when it came to everything else about the truck, even down to the drivers. Sure on paper we may have an impressive truck for the class but we're still trying to complete the package and the truck itself as you all know is just a part of that package.

You guys with the 7S trucks that have been around have the rest of that package with a truck that's built and proven to beat the desert.

The times have changed and trucks and components have evolved. Sure the switch was flipped and the rules at BITD were updated and the 2000 class was created in some other series. Doesn't mean we're all just showing up with a turn key proven program though. You still have more then enough time to get the truck built up to the new rules and at that point, I'll be we'll still be chasing you a bit as like I said, we don't have all the puzzle pieces acquired yet!

JIM BORDEN

I like the new 7100 rules, it should breathe some life back into 7s type truck racing. This is a fairly low budget way to go truck racing (racing is never low budget, but this rule set will get you on the track for less money than most other options).

There will be a class for these at the next NORRA as well, it will be called E7100 (Evolution 7100) and will be open to trucks of any year from new to old but conforming to the new BITD 7100 rules.
We built a Tacoma to race this class but fishing got in my way. 2015?

Jerry Zaiden

More exciting news....

BITD will now make 7100 sportsman = No payback. There will be three races that count. Entry fee will be $700-$800

They are starting out with these three races as the trucks will be running in the morning race at the Mint 400 and the 2 day Parker race and starting behind all the faster trucks/buggies at the Vegas to Reno and will not be "lap traffic" with the faster racers. You will still be able to race the Parker 425, Silverstate and Henderson but those will not be "Challenge" points for the championship.

MINT 400 = two laps 200 miles
Vegas to Reno = whole race
Parker Blue Water challenge two day race = Two days of racing about 200 miles

I have talked with many potential sponsors that will be backing this class and so far the support is very good. I will post more info soon and things get finalized.

Start building trucks for the 2015 Mint 400 as that will be the first race!

whitey96f150

I was under the assumption that this new class was a bolt on kits leaf spring in the rear door slammer. Class 2000 in snore and more. Now my race truck has a bolt on kit (camburg beam actually) and leaf spring rear , it just happens to be a full size truck with a v8. It is very competitive in the class and has beat and lost to midsized trucks with v6s. So if adopting the 7100 rules to draw in class 2000 guys while it exiles full size trucks is a poor choice in my opinion. Splitting the v6 and v8 into 2 classes will only give you 2 decent class turn outs instead on a big turn out in 1 class. Full Size Vs Mid Size , V6 Vs v8 should not be the class separation. Both should run toghter. It's simple as power to weight ratio that makes the 2 diffrent trucks competitive

smt racing

In that case there was 7 7sx trucks at the Baja 500 last weekend! I think at this point pretty much everyone has switched to a 4.0 liter engine and then some? in this class.
It’s not just about the 4.0 Liter engine; it’s really more about the fabricated parts as to some of the “stock” parts that are called out in 7sx.

As I’m sure most everyone knows we run an old school 7s truck that has a very proven race record and
I have worked hard to keep the truck true to its origins.

We race for the fun of it and I have enjoyed sharing my passion with my son Kyle who drives the crap out of it, but make no mistake we also race to win! However part of winning is knowing how to lose…

We look forward racing with the new class of trucks as they come about with our truck just the way it is, should be a good time!

Cheers!!

FOURTH STREET

More exciting news....

BITD will now make 7100 sportsman = No payback. There will be three races that count. Entry fee will be $700-$800

They are starting out with these three races as the trucks will be running in the morning race at the Mint 400 and the 2 day Parker race and starting behind all the faster trucks/buggies at the Vegas to Reno and will not be "lap traffic" with the faster racers. You will still be able to race the Parker 425, Silverstate and Henderson but those will not be "Challenge" points for the championship.

MINT 400 = two laps 200 miles
Vegas to Reno = whole race
Parker Blue Water challenge two day race = Two days of racing about 200 miles

I have talked with many potential sponsors that will be backing this class and so far the support is very good. I will post more info soon and things get finalized.

Start building trucks for the 2015 Mint 400 as that will be the first race!
If this is true, I wouldn't call it "exciting news", I'd call it disappointing news. I think its very disrespectful to existing 7100/7sx truck owners that BITD decided to change the rules the way they did. As I've said before, it isn't the old rules that were keeping the current 7100 trucks from showing up to BITD races, it was the cost of racing. The rules have been in place at BITD to allow bolt on kits a year now and it caused the few trucks racing to go elsewhere and all but killed the class in BITD. A lot of limited classes struggle with entry numbers, i.e. class 9, class 5, class 11, class 3, protruck, class 5-1600, etc. and nobody is talking about making them sportsman or elimination. Casey Folks has no interest in 7100 and told me so in person at the 2014 Parker 425. His exact words were " Why would I care if any 7100 trucks show up when I have all this" motioning to the Trick Trucks and Class 1500s on display after qualifying. As it was pointed out here, I think seven 7sx (old rule 7100) trucks showed up for the SCORE Baja 500 where the rules are respected. Anyone that thinks making 7100 a sportsman class with no payback and lowering the entry fee is going to cause a rush of new or old trucks to show up is dreaming. Payback in a pro class is an incentive that has now been taken away. $1200 saved in entry fees is not going to make the difference in 7100 entries. Maybe a little respect might. This thread started out about the creation of a new class and Jerry from Camburg has instead and again meddled in an existing class. I don't know how many (if any) existing 7sx trucks run Camburg parts now but I wouldn't be surprised if they strip his stuff off now that he's killed the class in BITD. Go start a new class if you want to but leave 7sx alone. It's should also be pointed out that when it was suggested that rules in 6100 be changed to allow underdrives which Camburg races, Camburg spoke out against it because he didn't want to spend the money. Probably because they don't make underdrives. But Camburg thinks its a good idea for others with 7100 trucks to spend money to put their kits on. Your so transparent. Your interest is not in making racing better, it's $$$. As for BITD, if Casey has any interest in getting more 7100 entries, he should contact those that have raced BITD in past years and find out what will bring them back.

Last edited:

Jerry Zaiden

Well not exciting to you but to over 10 people I have talked to who will race this class it is exciting. Sorry but how many 7100 races have you raced in BITD in the last two years? How many others racing in the last two years? Get it yet?

Casey does not care for the turnout over the last few years that is why he is making this change.

Now either race or stop crying.

From my mobile device using Taptalk. Spelling mistakes likely.

motoxscott

As I've said before, it isn't the old rules that were keeping the current 7100 trucks from showing up to BITD races, it was the cost of racing.

Anyone that thinks making 7100 a sportsman class with no payback and lowering the entry fee is going to cause a rush of new or old trucks to show up is dreaming.
Didn't you just contradict yourself? You say the cost of racing is too high, but then you say lowering the cost will not change anything. So which is it?

We can all do nothing and watch these classes get erased from BITD because their are no entries now .... or we can rally as a group and bring them back to life for up coming generations of racers and current racers. Once they are gone, it's alot harder to get them back and you may never get them back.

The people that will complain about bringing new life and $$$ into a dying class are also the ones that will watch it burn to the ground with an extinguisher in hand.

Im not saying I have the answers but something needs to be done to bring limited entry level truck racing back on track and current with the times.

- Scott

Jerry Zaiden

And no need for payback as I am working on solid contingency worth WAY more than payback. This is the way this sport should be....

Stay tuned.

From my mobile device using Taptalk. Spelling mistakes likely.

FOURTH STREET

Lowering the entry fee and removing the payback is a lack of incentive. A lower entry fee and payback as a professional class is a step in the right direction but as all of us racers know there is much more cost to racing than just entry fees. I have suggested different levels of entry fees for different classes as SCORE has done. Changing the class from Pro to Sportsman is demeaning to the racers in my opinion. Why does the class have to be made into a Sportsman status to attract contingency sponsors?

motoxscott

Actually don't change a thing and let it disappear ... I would hate to see companies like BFG, General, Toyo, Camburg, Total Chaos, Giant, H&M, KMC, Method, Borla, Magnaflow and ton of others have the opportunity to pump a bunch of time, money and attention into a class that helps promote their actual product and bring in a bunch of excitement and new racers and old racers back into the desert doing what we all luv to do at a cheaper cost.

Shame on that idea !! lol :)

It's time to update the rules a little, the sport has progressed at the grass roots level tremendously. I-beams were gone back in '97 and every pavement pounder has a long-travel kit on it now.

- Scott

Last edited:

FOURTH STREET

Making 7100 a Sportsman class that starts behind slower vehicles doesn't make entering a race more attractive.

motoxscott

Making 7100 a Sportsman class that starts behind slower vehicles doesn't make entering a race more attractive.
Maybe making it a sportsman class isnt the answer, but entry fee's are less because supporting companies ponied up the "payback" portion of the entry fee for the class.

Just throwing out ideas, that's all.

Either way, come out and race your old truck while we all still can.

- Scott