New motor, What oil?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I soon will be firing up my new 22r. Anyone have a oil preference? Synthetic, Regular, 20/50 or 10/30.

I have heard not to run a synthetic until after break-in. Yes, No?

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

singlehanded

Reaction
oil who puts oil in an engine????LOL

I use 10w30 4x4 synthetic quakerstate

local

blind655

Reaction
Im running Castrol Syntech 20/50. works great

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

Dave_G

Reaction
Pat,
I wouldn't use the synthetic until the rings have had a chance to seat. Wait for maybe 500-800 miles before you switch. Just go with the 10/30 or 20/25 for the break in. When we break in aircraft cylinders we run a straight 100w mineral oil for 30 hours to seat the rings before running the multi weights or synthetic oils.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

cleartoy

Reaction
Hey Pat, avoid synthetic for a bit. Just use straight 10-30 or 10-40.

I just installed a new 22 R in my 85 last month. Im running straight 10-30. Changed the oil at 100 miles to get rid of new metal shavings from break in. At 500 miles, i will change the oil again, retorque the head, and check\adjust valves.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

fox_mccloud2000

Reaction
Well I have a 22RE and I'm running AMSOIL 10w-40.
Let me tell you this. I got better gas milage with this oil and better responce from the engine. Well I started using it around 185k and now I'm up too 211k and I love it! And my mother also had it put into her new Subaru and it gets better gas milage then reported on the sticker. Anyways, I'd use synethic then change the oil out. Well thats my 2 cents.

-matt-

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
After the engine is broken in I would recomend trying Amsoil also. I just put in their synthetic in my Tacoma 3.4L and i've noticed the engine is a lot smoother and is a little more responsive from when I used other brands.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
When you go from conventional oil to synthetic oil (or even fresh conventional oil) after a well needed oil change it feels like it makes a big difference but you are only gaining the performance that dwindled away during those abusive miles between the oil change. Thats how I tell when I need an oil change...the performance of my truck goes down even with Mobil 1 in it, usually around 2000-2500 miles. Lucky I get free oil changes. I would like to see dyno results of gains in HPs under equal circumstances.

Kris

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
On HorsePower TV they did a Dyno comparison of before and after an oil change, and they came up with like 8hp or 10hp increase.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I believe that, but I am saying I want dyno results that show a gain in horsepower from running one motor oil versus another. ie, mobil regualar vs mobil 1, castrol vs castrol syntec......

Kris

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Definatly do not use synthetic on a new motor. Synthetic oil has a different consistantcy than regular oil. The base is what really makes the difference. Try calling some engine builders and see what they think.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The rule of thumb from the old timers is to use striaght 30W non detergent oil for the first 500-800 miles. Striaght 30w will protect better on cold start than a multi-wieght. Synthetics have wear inhibitors in them which can keep the rings from seating.

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
Kritter,
Actually that was the test on Hot Rod TV. It was a dyno test of conventional motor oil vs. synthetic motor oil and I believe it was Castrol vs. Castrol Syntec.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Russ, that was after a routine 3000 mile oil change though...or thats what I thought. An oil change gave 10-12 hp back to the engine, not just merely switching to synthetic

Kris

full_pull

Lobo
Reaction
I got this from the hotrod.com website ( Hot Rod Magazine and Hot Rod TV). This is the test they ran on the TV show....

To see the difference between mineral-based and synthetic fluids, we enlisted the help of Scott Crouse’s ’65 Mercury Comet. With a hot 347, World Class T5 manual transmission, and 4.11 geared 9-inch rear axle, it’s a rolling torture chamber for vital fluids. First we made a series of runs on the Westech Performance Superflow chassis dyno with 20W50 in the crankcase, Dexron III in the gearbox, and 75W90 gear oil in the TracLoc differential; the result was 408.3 horsepower and 405.1 lb-ft of torque. Then we drained the petro-chemicals and replaced them with man-made hydrocarbons from Royal Purple: 7 quarts of 20W50 synthetic engine oil, 6 quarts of Max ATF, and 2½ quarts of Max Gear 75W90. After a 5-mile jaunt to get everything up to the same temperature as the baseline test, we let it rip. The monitor read 418.4 hp and 411.2 lb-ft of torque, a gain of 10.1 hp and 6.1 lb-ft just by switching to synthetics: an impressive tribute to the reduced coefficient of friction. We’ve seen similar improvements on the engine dyno, and have noted reduced wear through the use of synthetics. They’re a bunch more expensive, but in our opinion, they’re worth it for cars you care about. For your $200 Pinto, stick with the 99-cent stuff.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
We're talking about 2 different shows.
I mentioned HorsePower TV
Full Pull is talking about Hot Rod TV
Details Details Details

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Sweet, but that was more then simply an engine oil change and the result was only 2.5 % Hp gain. I wish they did jsut the engine...I am really curious now...I would say no more then 1% gain in HPs though.

Kris

Ryno

Reaction
I'm with partybarge. When I am first firing up a motor, I use non-detergent straight 30w. Easier on the rings. After 100 miles, I change to a detergent 30w. After 500...I run whatever I'm going to run for the motor...During the summer I run 20/50, during the winter I run 10/40.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.