• Forum membership has its advantages....

New old pictures- My first Baja 500

retroblazer

I finally got around to buying the 204 images that Jim Ober had taken over the years. There were a couple of pleasant surprises, including finding pictures from my first entry in a race in Baja in 1981.

harleys dad

I was going to say thats 1981, I have some pictures of the same place

retroblazer

I say that this was my first entry in Baja, because about forty or fifty miles further, the car was rolled off the road into a deep ravine. TERRA pit people, starting with the John Sunderland, helped me get my car back. The two guys that I sold the ride, told me that I would find my car in a ravine where they had left the top number plate. I was so freaked out that
bajajimober 127.JPG
the car was going to get stripped by the time I got back.

retroblazer

Car specs- A Chenowth originally built by Bob Warren in Chicago as a Class 1/2 car running a 2180. One of the very early cars to get an automatic transaxle to work, made from a modified type 3 box. I was the third owner, and primarily raced the car as a 1-2-1600 in the Midwest.
After we recovered the car, a couple of the TERRA folks helped me fix the car and enter the Firecracker 250 the next month. Dory Kline employed me during the day, and we at night we worked on the car. He introduced me to Bill Claytor, who was a service manager at Colley Motors in Glendora, who was kind enough to fix the damage to the engine.
After a month a half on the West Coast, I returned to Chicago to continue short course racing with it until I came back to do the Baja 1000 a couple of years later. I put a good set of dual port heads on my 1-2-1600 motor, with a Zenith carb. I had ditched the automatic for a bus trans. I made it to San Felipe that year, but was stopped by a bad battery. I sold the car to some kid in La Cresenta before I drove back to Chicago.

retroblazer

Ramsey, Long before the next NORRA event shows up, I will have the "Raffinator" running again. I had recently gotten the hall pass from Carol after completing a capital raise for a bank in Chicago, so I was planning on doing the 1000 in Nov., but Vegas to Reno, as of two days ago, has become my goal.

harleys dad

I say that this was my first entry in Baja, because about forty or fifty miles further, the car was rolled off the road into a deep ravine. TERRA pit people, starting with the John Sunderland, helped me get my car back. The two guys that I sold the ride, told me that I would find my car in a ravine where they had left the top number plate. I was so freaked out thatView attachment 170247 the car was going to get stripped by the time I got back.
Depends where it got left, my uncles class 11 bug was left out by Neuevo Jct at the 76 500 and got stripped bad, they almost left the shell there