New product idea?

Fast Eddy

Reaction
Well it's not new to the world but would be inovative in desert racing and possibly improve safety, AUTO PILOT. What you could do is when the dust gets so thick you can't see you just flip a swich on the wheel and no more worry wether your still on coarse. It will become the Co Dawg of the single seater! As long as broke down vehicles get off the coarse thats set by the gps no worrys of an accident. I know a fellow who builds them for aviation and we'd have to do a little research in the marine industry for some of the right components but it would be very doable. The automatic transmission vehicles would be no problem. It may not work well on manual shift units. You could do the throttle a couple of differant ways or still make that manual operated. Could set the brakes to kick it off like cruise control or make it to where each owner could set their own peramiters. The big question is would it be outlawed? After watching Pete's video in Mexico and hearing the tone of his voice of how close he came to the spectators, the worry would drop some, help knowing your on coarse. The sentiment of driving blinded seems to be that it's just dirt racing. Why not improve it and wouldn't that also improve safety? We all pretty much use GPS and don't even come close to using it to the potential of other industries. You all are the industry and I'd like to hear if this is worth pursuing further. It sounded like there definatly is a need to improve things when were blind. This is not a joke or a stab at anyone. When I got to reading and thinking about it, I couldn't come up with why not have it.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
forward facing infrared with a nice size "monitor" hooked up like a gps unit, or possibly even INTO the gps unit.

The "canonball run" guys use it for running 'STEALTH'

mawtrophykart

Reaction
For 12,000 Raytheon has a product available to the public that wont drive the car but will let you seethrough the dust on a monitor. While were on this subject: I'm trying to invent a safer racing suit. A suit w 12 torniquets(torniquets would be at the both wrist,elbows,shoulders,ankles,knees,and femur) built in so any racer can control bleeding on their own, also the left calf would hold a first aid kit, and a heart monitor that plugged into the IRC to report vital signs. All this could be done for <$200. P.S. patent already applied for.

Reaction
Universal RTK Autosteer system that will steer you within 1 inch of your line.
So we could input our gps map, then just worry about on course obstacles? How hard would it be to overide and how fast is it going to react to gps input? Thanks.

SPROCKET

Reaction
So we could input our gps map, then just worry about on course obstacles? How hard would it be to overide and how fast is it going to react to gps input? Thanks.
Lexus allready has what you need
laser guided cruise control slows the car when theres a slower car or object on the road.
Iam allso sure that the self parking feature could be tied into the nav system to drive the car.
The power steering rack is electric so no more P/S saves weight and theres no pump on the motor.

Reaction
laser guided cruise control slows the car when theres a slower car or object on the road.
But what if we WANT to hit said vehicle or object? Or not slow down and go around? Plus this tractor/gps system is probably cheaper and less complicated to install than something gutted out of a luxury automobile.

I wouldn't want this on my road toad, let along a racecar!

CaptinCrash

Reaction
whats the point of racing then

Reaction
They race trains, don't they? I think it might serve a purpose similar to that of a fighter planes autopilot, like when its pilot enters a cloudbank or, perhaps, blacks out due to G loading.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
whats the point of racing then
I see what you are saying, but if we could still maintain what racing is all about and make it safe I think we should do what we can to avoid huge pile ups and gnarly accidents..

rrcls1

Reaction
How about a proximity sensor that shows the position of any competitor within 100 yards coupled with forward sensing radar/infrared and gps all in a heads up display inside the drivers and co-drivers helmet...

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Anything involving laser would be rendered pretty useless in the dust.

The idea of builtin tournequets in clothing has already been implemented in tactical operator clothing, but can't see why it wouldn't work in a racesuit

vetracer

Reaction
How about video remote control. Then you could race from the bar!:D

Last edited:
Reaction
Like the Air Force pilots Predators from Nellis. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Just let me drive i'll be your auto pilot, call me and I will pilot problem solved !!!!

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Reaction
Hey! If the auto steer works, it'd be stab and grab instead of stab and steer (a succinct off road racing driver's training courtesy my old friend John "Hurricane" Herder)!