New project Help

650Rider

Reaction
I need some advise on a project I'm going to start. I'm going to build a fullsize prerunner I beam/4 link. I'm going to start with a pre 75' frame, ford or chevy, but was wondering which would be the better frame to start with, the ford or chevy. Whatever I decide, it will have a newer cab(ford will be a 96', chevy will be a 2000). Both cab and frame sut ups will cost roughly the same. Are the early fords set up for a rear steer box? Just wanted some opinions on what everyone would do!

spi6616

Reaction
if it is a pre-runner your building (not a class 8 needed chassis).....why not make it a full fabricated chassis (chromoly preferred) it can be built stronger and resemble more of a race car design and ties in easier. Body mounts and fenders all can be mounted as a TT would be. It would also fetch more resale value if done properly. If you have the talent to build one (cage, a-arms, etc.) you certainly have the ability to do it this way. Good luck!

650Rider

Reaction
It is going to be street legal. with the way the state laws are going, i think it would be the best bet to use the frame. No?

ChromolyKid

Reaction
I don't know the difference between Ford and Chevy frames, especially that old, but I'd pick Chevy!
Are you going for a 2wd or 4wd frame?
I THINK, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, that almost all Chevy 2wd truck frames have cutouts on the frame rails up front for shocks. Big enough to fit 3" shocks. At least that's the case on my truck.
I'm not sure if the 4wd's do, but I think they're just a regular frame rail (which you would probably prefer if you're gonna use beams).

Just my thoughts, I don't know too much about frame design, or I-beams.

Just curious, what kind of engine you gonna put in it?

650Rider

Reaction
Yeah, the 2wd chevys have coil buckets which are kinda a pain to deal with. I was thinking ford, only because it may be easier to set it up for beams, and a 96' ford cab is cheaper than a 2000 chevy cab. What ever it is, it will have either a SBC 400 or BBC 454, not sure yet. I know the big block is slightly heavier, but you cam run a BBC that makes 400+ HP on Mexican gas.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Sounds cool! Good luck with the build!

650Rider

Reaction
Thanks! im in the gathering stage right now. Getting all the parts together, then the build begins. I'll post pic's when I start.

truck poor

Reaction
I just had the same questions reguarding similar build, I have had quite a few frames at my house because i would find something standing in my way of both the chevy and ford frames such as frame width and wheel base (which doest matter if youre guna back half it) imo if youre guna i beam the truck, then use the ford frame. I beams on chevys are nothin new but seems easier to use the ford frame since it came with beams. also i think the the ford was rear mounted stearing box until 78 not 100% sure though. I was wanting to use the ext cab chevy cab i had but ran across a project from a kid that had a good start for $1,000. it's a 96 f 150 ext cab. so far it's been a fun truck to build. keep in mind if you use a diferent cab and frame you need titles to both or reciepts from a wrecking yard even if it just gets a green sticker. Good luck on your build.

Last edited:

650Rider

Reaction
So you're saying that if you put a newer ford cab on an older ford frame then you have to register the cab apart from one another?

Zambo

Reaction
The vin number is on the cab, I don't see how you're going to use a new cab and register it as pre 75, especially if half of the frame is missing. Just use an old cab that matches the frame. You can get glass that will flow into your old cab but updates the look to that of a newer truck. The other good thing about the old cabs is that the windshield was much closer to vertical, which will make the cage a lot stronger IMO if your tubework is going to follow the A pillar.

BTW, I just started a similar project with a 75 chevy, its going to be 2wd but I'm starting with the 4wd frame. Since you're going to use I-beams, there's really no need to move the motor back. I'd use a small block chevy for sheer simplicity and availability of parts. A Chevy frame will allow you to bolt a Chevy motor in without fabbing anything up, just get a set of motor mounts from autofab. Giant makes an I-beam kit that bolts right onto a Chevy frame, probably get 20" or more of travel depending on your trackwidth.

After working on late model trucks the last few years I can't tell you how elated I am with the simplicity of working with an older truck! I love being able to do 99% of everything with a 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8ths socket!

truck poor

Reaction
So you're saying that if you put a newer ford cab on an older ford frame then you have to register the cab apart from one another?
You don't have to register them seperate but what i've been told by the dmv is that you take in both titles from the different cab and frame and they inspect it and give you a new special vehicle title. I haven't done this but was asking alot of questions when I was thinking of using my chevy cab on the ford frame. Nothings impossible somethings take more hoops to jump through than others. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
If you are gonna go with an I-beam set-up I would suggest starting with an '80-96 frame. . .they are already set-up for the I-beams and the '80-96 frame is wider than than the '73-79 frames as well. . .if you already have the frame you can make it work though. . .just be patient and make sure you have a good plan before you start

loganstuckey

Reaction
I'm building a chevy prerunner with a full tube chassis and I was wondering if its better to shorten the rear a little compared with a stock truck, and if so how much? I would post a couple of pictures but I'm not sure how.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Shorten the rear. . .meaning what?

What are you going to shorten, wheelbase, frame length, bed length?

loganstuckey

Reaction
Yeah sorry that wasn't very clear. I was wondering if I should shorten the wheel base. On the front I lengthened it like 3.5inches from the front of the cab. So I was wondering If I should shorten the rear some. I would measure from the back of the cab to the center of the axle, but maybe thats not the way to do it.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
You don't have to register them seperate but what i've been told by the dmv is that you take in both titles from the different cab and frame and they inspect it and give you a new special vehicle title.
You really want to stay away from that. What you want is a cab swap keeping the frames VIN and title. You will have the go to the CHP for the VIN verification. Make sure you can still read the VIN on the frame.

Edit, make sure you have a bill of sale for both the cab and frame when you go to the CHP.........

Scott_F

Reaction
Yeah sorry that wasn't very clear. I was wondering if I should shorten the wheel base. On the front I lengthened it like 3.5inches from the front of the cab. So I was wondering If I should shorten the rear some. I would measure from the back of the cab to the center of the axle, but maybe thats not the way to do it.
If you plan to run around the woods and fields of Ohio, then a shorter wheelbase would be good, say 110". If you plan to drag it out to the dez and run it, make the wheelbase more like 120-130".

atomicjoe23

Reaction
If you plan to run around the woods and fields of Ohio, then a shorter wheelbase would be good, say 110". If you plan to drag it out to the dez and run it, make the wheelbase more like 120-130".
Good advice right there and exactly what I was gonna say. . .I was just waiting to see where he was at first.

loganstuckey

Reaction
Well I'm gonna run it at the dunes in Michigan and I want to take it out west too, so I think the longer wheel base will be what I want. And I thought about getting a truck with a title and VIN but It was cheaper to go this route, so I'm gonna have to get it inspected to make it road legal. The Ohio inspection will be easier to get through than a California one.