new project "supracharged" 4x4 + some info needed

orvacian

new project \"supracharged\" 4x4 + some info needed

I got really pissed at my truck motor at the last jump champs, I had it floored the whole way and still only managed some of the shortest distances of the day. So I sold my 3vze for $600 in the recycler (I love the recycler!) and took it out last weekend. Thanks to Dave for helping out! So far I have put together $800 from selling old stuff so that will help offset the cost of the project a lot. It will be really nice NOT to have to use the credit cards for the first time in years. We just paid off all the credit cards and it feels so good! I am going on Sat to pick out a nice 7m-gte turbocharged motor. Its the same model as the one in my car that's making around 350hp now. They can be purchased complete with turbo for $550-$650. Then all it needs to go in the truck is a oil pan modification and custom motor mounts. I will probably freshen up the motor too, so its ready for some punishment!
Then it bolts right to the a340h transmission in the truck.

Now my questions:

1: If you mount a stock 4 row radiator horisontally in the back of a truck with thermostatically switched electric fans, will it cool properly? (I am thinking good Spal fans that are continuous duty and move some serious air. It would also need a special remote filler neck cause if I took the cap off the coolant would just run out.)

2: What would be a good choice for hose to run coolant from the engine to the radiator in the back?

3: My jaz fuel cell makes me loose fuel pressure when I go around a long turn. It would be really really bad if it lost fuel pressure while I was under boost as it would probably toast the motor. Is there some kind of remote reservoir with a safety switch? Or a modification I can do to the cell?

Attachments

4x4Yota

Re: new project \"supracharged\" 4x4 + some info needed

Your trucks going to be sweet! I couldn't imagine having a turbocharged engine in my truck. I have a 93 Toyota 4x4 with a 3.0 too.

steveG

I used aluminum tube I found at a hardware store to plumb the coolant to the bed of my truckuse tube the same diameter as your radiator hoses & put a radiator cap in your upper hose at the engine so you can fill it & get the air out from the front and back. As far as fans, get the biggest & most powerful fans you can, make a GOOD shroud for them & you'll have to make something to direct air into the radiator, the fans alone won't be enough when you're driving it hard

orvacian

That's funny you mentioned that cause I did call Andrew and left him a message last weekend. He didn't call back (yet?). The difference is that he used a non turbo motor (7m-ge) and he kept the radiator in front. The fuel pickup is not as important if you're not making boost. I may have to keep the radiator in front also but we'll see.

YotaWhoopRunner

I know this swap uses the original transmission, but are you sure it can handle it with the turbo? Ive seen some crazy numbers from 7mgte supras.

farmboy

Look at www.yotapower.com, this guy did the 7MTGE swap and is running bigger turbo's, a huge intercooler, and explains all the wireing and other issue's with the swap. i think he's right at 500hp and he's using a R151 transmission out of a turbo truck and hasn't broke a transmission yet. now it is a rock crawler with dana 60's, but this guy can smoke his 38' swampers and i rode in it once, and it is scary fast for a 4runner on 38's. he also kept his radiator up front and still has AC.

fishd00d

What A Joke

Thats what I am talking about! Were almost done with Dan's 3.4 swap and mine will be starting soon!

orvacian

The A340 in the truck is the same transmission that comes in the turbo supras but it has a different tailhousing for the transfer case. I know several people running 400hp with a A340. I am hopefull mine will hold up with a transmission cooler and some Mobile1 ATF.
The 3.4 taco motor is nice but but even with the supercharger the 7mgte will outpower it while getting >30% better gas mileage and costing less then 1/4 the price. Dude, the supercharger alone is like $2500 plus all the adaptors and such added to the price of the motor you are looking at $5000+. Plus the 7mgte is easy to work on and has fewer parts and only one head and headgasket to deal with.
Hopefully next month I will be roosting 4 tires and and you will hear the WHSSSSHHHHH of the blow off valve.

Here is a quote from www.yotapower.com:

"Why the swap?
The Toyota 3.0V6, is my no means a powerplant at 150hp , and there is not a lot you can do to increase power without it costing thousands of dollars. After running 35x14.50's for a few months, terrible gas mileage, and not being able to cruise at freeway speeds I was fed up with the lack power.

I had been looking into engine conversions for quite awhile, and have heard several people putting the Toyota 3.4 v6, Chevy 4.3 v6, or a V8. I wanted a little more power than the V6 could put out, but didn't like the idea of breaking everything because of the low end torque and horsepower that the V8 put out. I have been big into toyota Supras for awhile and really like the power of the inline 3.0 6 cylinder, and it perfect for what I want. I want power, and lots of it, but I don't want to break anything because of that. With the Turbo Supra motor, there is defianlty not a lack of power. A slightly moded 7MGTE motor will yield over 500hp, and still get 26 mpg. But, a drawback of the turbo, is very little low end power, and turbo lag. This is what I want. I really don't want lots of low end power, that is where things get broken. This set up will be perfect."

1992f150

how much extra weight is it over a truck 3.0? a 22re?

orvacian

I am pretty sure it's lighter then a 3vze and heavier then a 22re. It's basically a 22re with 2 extra cylinders, a extra cam and more valves

Littlenutts

How is the swap coming along. I am very interested to know how it all goes in. Also any coments on how it might hold up under desert race conditions?

orvacian

From another thread a few days ago.

"With my project I have so far bought a crashed 90k mile 1988 auto turbo Supra complete for $400 that had the motor replaced by Toyota at 40k miles. That gives me a motor with turbo, wiring harness, ecu and bell housing (everything needed for the swap) for $400 and I still have a whole Supra interior, exterior, transmission, LSD and suspension I can sell to offset the cost of the project. So after selling my old 3vze engine that was in my truck for $600 and selling $60 of interior parts off the supra, I am still +$260 and I have everything I need! This engine can make 300 wheel horsepower with just a boost controller($100-$200) and a 3" exhaust. To do it right you should put a metal headgasket in it which adds about $500 to the cost but will make it more reliable. On the install, I was already gonna cut off the front fenderwells and make a new front bumper so radiator clearance is not a problem anymore. The only problem on firewall clearance I believe is the egr valve. You can not smog this engine in this truck anyway, so I will be eliminating all the smog equipment including the egr valve. For motor mounts, I hear the 5m-ge motor mounts from a mkII Supra will bolt directly to the truck and the stock motor mount brackets (unconfirmed as of yet). I attached a pic of my partially disassembled motor making its way to its new home last night."

orvacian

Project \"supracharged\" 4x4 update

I made some time to work on the truck tonight. I took the Supra transmission off the 7mgte and compared the bellhousings and torque converters. The donor Supra had a different transmission then I was expecting. It is not a problem because the bellhousing of its 30-40LE is the same as the truck's A340h. I bolted the bell housing to the truck transmission and test fit the motor. There are some really cool things to report! The throttle cable and transmission kick-down cables for both motors are identical and are the correct length and everything. The engine harness is the right length to go through the firewall in the same place. The truck power steering hose has the proper fitting and correct length for the supra power steering pump. The transmission hard lines going to the radiator are still in the correct position. There is PLENTY of firewall clearance. The engine fits between my shock hoops fine and the brace over the engine is still tall enough.

There are a few things that need to be addressed. The fuel fittings look the same but are on the opposite side of the motor. The oil pan will need to be clearanced a little to clear the front differential, but not as much as I was expecting. The A/C pump will not fit in the stock location because the steering box is in the way. The motor mounts look like they may be a little too far forward but I can't say for sure yet. Thats it for tonight.

Attachments