• Forum membership has its advantages....

New racer Baja 500

twin w racing

I know this question has been asked and answered before in the past. We have a team of three and we are inquiring about the Baja 500 sportsman Moro class.

I am not under any circumstance believe we can run with the pros but we can finish. I am looking for advise on what else we need. I'll be running the ktm450xcw. I don't know if we will need a front head light What type of desert tires are best ? Will be running a 14/48 gear with bibs in the front. Any and all advise is welcome. It's a bucket list for us. .. Thanks

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Hayward Racing

You will most likely need lights and good idea to have a backup set along with helmet lights. Reach out to @BajaboundMoto if you're serious they'll get you setup for sucess

A Vance

What kind of racing are you currently doing? What kind of shape are you guys in? I would run bibbs front and rear. Tires are up in the air. People will give you a ton of advice. In baja a lot of guys are running 606's. You need to over prepare. Have a back up plan for every plan. If you have never had a trophy truck pass you, then you will need to research what to do when passed by a four wheel vehicle. The odds are you will be passed. The bike should be prepped better than you have ever prepped a bike.

AZ7000'

motoman29

prep your bike

prep your body

prep your brain

heed advice from people who have been there before

have fun

be safe

El Mamito USMC

twin w racing

Ok bibs came in along with Baja design pro light, ed78 rear tires and maxx desert front. Fanny pack and camelback mule hydration. 4 air filters, 5 oil filters. getting it together thanks

TYork

4 air filters for the race itself. You'll need three times that amount to pre run.

Pm me and I will tell you what I know.

SF250 in 2014 was our first Baja race ever. We completed every SCORE race in 2014 and every mile.

Newbies can do it and have fun doing it.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

I've never used more than two air filters in the baja 500. If we were running up near the front with little dust we didn't even bother changing it.

For Pre-running, I would check it every day, but if you aren't riding in much dust I wouldn't change it everyday. Just depends. Then again, I was always on an XR 650. I don't know about the 450s now days.

That is a good choice on tires. That ED 78 is indestructible in my opinion. I rode 30 miles of the 1000 one year with it flat and I didn't slow down much.

Ilovebaja

Ok bibs came in along with Baja design pro light, ed78 rear tires and maxx desert front. Fanny pack and camelback mule hydration. 4 air filters, 5 oil filters. getting it together thanks
start drinking a lot of water 1 week before , have some electrolytes on hand or the water with electrolytes in the camel back! Hot weather !

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I hope you have the strength to ride sand ALL DAY LONG with buried boulders, in my best days of racing that place would have killed me. Oh I forgot the old road heading north to the finish has some real nice high speed "pinned in 5th" GOTCHAS that will get your attention real fast.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I wasn't going to bring that up thinking you "youngsters" even knew a 6 speed existed, back in my day (here it comes) we/I used to race desert on a 6 speed water cooled 2 stroke 500cc husky let me tell you 115mph on the Jean lake bed was a common occurrence in a race called "Barstow to vegas" let's say things happened real quick I still have my 1985 ready to ride with a little gas your off and running, except I know better unleashing THAT thing, I to this day still call it the "bone exposer"

I'll bite,
first year we attempted it we were a team of four, a few were not the strongest riders, I got the bike in Ojos which is just out of town and rode it to the coast, we switched riders and I was supposed to get the bike back just before heading into Europan and finish, the bike never made it and I had to ride backwards on course through the night to find our rider...it sucked. The section he was supposed to ride I could drive a minivan through, so my first word of advise is make sure your whole team is on the same page with similar goals. Know your bike, agree upon what types of items you will carry in your camelback and make sure everyone is strong mentally.

The second year I went back for redemption and took all of that out of the equation and rode the whole thing solo. I am not in great shape, I am not a great rider, I'm pretty old now but I am one stubborn SOB and I finished. I got passed by 2 Trophy Trucks and that is a little life changing but manageable.

As far as lights go if things go well you don't need them, if things don't go well you do, so better to have them. I rode without changing an air filter but had one in my bag. I rode a D606 in the rear and rode for another couple months after the race on the same tire. They wear like Iron, never really hook up well but tough to flat. Up front I was on a Bridgestone M403...kind of the same deal. Both those tires suck in the sand but I was on an XR650 and just grabbed a wristfull and let the tractor do its thing. I am a singletracker not really a Baja guy but I got talked into this Baja thing. I am better when it gets nasty and I'm a wimp when its fast. Baja is all fast, the stuff they call technical is like 4th gear instead of 5th. I lost like 5 teeth on my rear sprocket and gained 2 on the front compared to my usual. The course was really easy both years other than dealing with Trophy truck sized whoops....they look more like small double jumps. The first year we dealt with the whoops after Ojos and rode the coast to Europan in the Afternoon, that was better for me. The second year when I rode alone they ran it reversed so I had to deal with the big whoops in the afternoon after riding 300 plus miles and it got tiring. You could skip them like normal for a few, then start to try to rythm style hook them together into little doubles and eventually get tired and just saw through them like a row boat on the open seas. Wasn't too bad but I definitely went through them better fresh than later in the day.

We are running the 1000 this year as a 2 person team on a 650, I guess technically a 3 person team but the 3rd is really the sponsor, he runs a few miles after the start and if all goes well we will finish the rest. Good luck!!!

Don't let the whole race thing get to you too much, enjoy Mexico and the time you get to spend there riding. I let it get to me the first year and left sort of angry we didn't finish. That drove me for the next year and in looking back now I really had a lot of fun. I wish I would have enjoyed all the moments instead of just focusing on the task at hand that for me was finishing the race. I guess its just the blue collar work ethic that I got hit with by my Dad, it's what drives me and I'm too old to change...but if I could change myself that's what I would do. Enjoy the moment, enjoy the time, make it feel less like work and more like what it is...a bucket list item!!!!