New Rules for CA Desert Racing

tim_krueger

Reaction
I didn't make it out to the MORE race today, but I heard there are quite a few new rules for participants and spectators to follow.

Some (but not all) new rules have been brought up in other threads but I wanted to create 1 thread with all the rules and restrictions so that people can check this thread to see all of the things they need to be aware of before their next trip to a desert race in CA.

If you were a participant in the MORE race or worked/volunteered for MORE this weekend please share any rules or restrictions you are aware of and any observations that may be useful.

Lets do what we can to spread the knowledge and keep everyone compliant so we can continue to race in an open desert
Thanks
Tim

tim_krueger

Reaction
Just talked to some friends who returned from the MORE race tonight....

Here are a couple rules relating to speed limits. It was not clear which if any of these speed limits are for race weekend only.

15MPH: Any vehicle any time when around people, including race vehicles during the race.
25MPH: Any vehicle any time when on an access road. Does not apply to race vehicles at road crossings.
35MPH: Any vehicle any time when in the open desert unless otherwise marked. Race vehicles on the marked race course during the race are excluded. Race vehicles during the race are restricted to a 35MPH speed limit in designated pit areas as long as people are 150' away.

scary fast hummer

Reaction
Not to hijack this thread at all, but we have rules much the same in African rallye racing. Most races have trackers and if you go over the limit?? You are done; DQ'd. No discussions, just trailer it up and pack it home. Took time for some to adjust to but it made it much, much safer for the locals and that is never a bad thing.

Reaction
Just talked to some friends who returned from the MORE race tonight....

Here are a couple rules relating to speed limits. It was not clear which if any of these speed limits are for race weekend only.

15MPH: Any vehicle any time when around people, including race vehicles during the race.
25MPH: Any vehicle any time when on an access road. Does not apply to race vehicles at road crossings.
35MPH: Any vehicle any time when in the open desert unless otherwise marked. Race vehicles on the marked race course during the race are excluded. Race vehicles during the race are restricted to a 35MPH speed limit in designated pit areas as long as people are 150' away.

Not new, but newly enforced.

Fourstroker

Reaction
The biggest thing that was clarified was that the 150' rule was for spectators. I say because if you signed a waiver to be a pit person and were not drinking you could be 100' from the course. I volunteered today and ran a RX. The BLM Ranger was often about 50' from the course. And yes I do have pictures but won't post because he was cool to us(and the race) and was extremely pleased. The Pit Works guys even changed his flat tire

tim_krueger

Reaction
Really? 35MPH for a non-race vehicle completely away from the race course and people had always been a rule...
I've talked to CHP and another law enforcement official at a race and both had said that only the basic speed law applies, nothing about 35MPH max.

Reaction
Pretty sure it's part of the CVC, like the 15mph near people law. The 35 mph rule may be BLM.

desert rat 2

Reaction
Crossing of the course only allowed at official road crossings. I actually got a talking to for crossing a completely clear course in a zone that was 35MPH for race vehicles. Oh well, live and learn. It would be really nice to have all of these new rules in writing.

The downside of this is that if your vehicle were to break down on the inside of the course, it could take hours and hours to reach it if you are following the rules.

Hopefully there will be a review of the new rules now that we have all had to try and live with them and the more ridiculous rules will be modified or thrown out.

Interestingly, I saw no sign of the media out there.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
So testing in barstow will be 35mph max and glamis 35 this sounds like a real blast. I'm going into the radar gun sales biz anyone now of a good printing company I need a bid on 2 million citation books in triplicate.

NINERACER

Reaction
They will be a speed limit of 35MPH on road crossing and main pit area during the race. The day before the race is 35MPH for pre-running all day, will be a designated area for tesing during night the day before the race. No pre-running the night before . The WEEK before the race will be NO speed limit for pre-running.

mendez

Reaction
ill see what happens at the next mdr superstition race or maybe the drive one that is this weekend i believe not sure

Shred918

Reaction
I think it is a little to early to start saying these are the rules in CA as there has only been one race since the incident and things are still going to be worked out. MORE did an amazing job out there and it turned out to be a great race.

dwasser

Reaction
You're right. It is way too early to start calling these "the rules". I beleive MORE worked with the BLM to put in some rules that the BLM was comforatable with seeing that there wasn't a lot of time before their race. The meetings about what the final "new" rules are going to be will continue for a while. Very glad to hear that the MORE race went well. Thats a good thing for everyone.

Jack

Reaction
The only issues I had, is the distance from the course for pits is still not clear.
We were at mile 12 right past the road crossing and set up about 100' from the course as that is how much room there was to park the trucks and trailers and still be inside the 150' spectator tape that was up. We then put out our own tape so that our drivers would have plentey of room to enter our pit area without having to stop and make a 90 degree turn.
We had many vehiciels pulling trailers drive in front of us during the race.
On the other side of the road, is where the MORE controllers were parked about 50' from the course as well as the BLM and many others that came in and out through the day, some wre piting, I did not have a problem with this but still confused on what will be enforced, I would hate to have to pick up and move when we still see others closer.

Goober

Reaction
So are they going to make spectator zones at these races? Especially Score and BITD since the land is closed. Who wants to watch vehicles go 25mph.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
It's not the speed that caused the tragedy... I see no reason why roped off or closed off spectator areas a safe distance from the course cannot be in a high speed area, provided that said spectators heed the closure and don't take the confinements or signs down, or go in front of the ropes or what have you...

I fully understand the speed limit in the pits - it's much safer for the pit crews and exiting race vehicles

9rocky

Reaction
So are they going to make spectator zones at these races? Especially Score and BITD since the land is closed. Who wants to watch vehicles go 25mph.

We were told that the BLM decided Thursday afternoon that MORE had to fence off spectator areas. The permits for this race were not delivered until Friday to MORE.