• Forum membership has its advantages....

New rules for crossing into Mexico (August 1st - 2016)

Just thought I would let everybody know that as of two weeks ago Mexican border agents are requiring DMV registration on all vehicles and trailers crossing into Mexico.

Make sure you have your paperwork with you at time of crossing.

They will only accept the original, no copies.

I am sure their will be some tolerance for race cars.

redline

Its been like that for a few years now and there is no special tolerance for race cars either. If you just go with title for race car be prepared to pay import tax on it because they "assume" you are taking it in to sell.

TecateRay

They have been checking almost 100% for several years now. Originals, no copies, no out of date registrations. I have had several friends turned back for registration issues. They never check my truck paperwork when they check the bikes - yet.

El Mamito USMC

its been like this for awhile. maybe you just end up with some rookies fresh out of the academy and they go by the book , until they learn how things are done in real life..

43mod

unless you get that really pretty one w nice body. She just said shush w finger on lip and sent me on my way w no quad paperwork . Just a rare occasion of compassion from hot young girl for old fat bald guy I guess .

BHollander

unless you get that really pretty one w nice body. She just said shush w finger on lip and sent me on my way w no quad paperwork . Just a rare occasion of compassion from hot young girl for old fat bald guy I guess .
Was that the same time you had all those tires too? lol

Baja Bryan

Yes has been like that for a long time. You can hand them a title in your name and they don't care. They want current registration. I have gotten by with copies but they do say next time need original. Problem is a lot of people bring cars into mexico to sell and never pay importation taxes.

JasonHutter

We have crossed with the OHV registration on our race truck and they took that without issue at the Mexicali crossing.

Jason

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JasonHutter

No... Just a note from your mom!

Baja Bryan

But do you need a passport J/K
Actually I see INM asking more and more people for a permit to come into mexico. They stand in line more on Friday evenings and weekends and look for people loaded like a tourist then ask if they have a permit. If not they will tell you to get one. In order to get one you need a passport. I recommend anyone coming to mexico to have a passport to not have any issues. With out it a good chance you can get turned back. Coming back into USA you dont need a passport.

redline

Also on a side note if you want to save yourself a lot of time and aggravation do not try crossing at tecate any more. Yesterday I got deported twice. First time was legitimate because I had the wrong papers for the car then hours later with the proper paper work same lady with a love of shoving it up gringos decided that the original title wasn't proof of ownership! Just to make it more enjoyable the second time she made me go down the one way alley with cars parked on both sides. She just stood and smiled ear to ear watching me snake a trailer between cars with maybe a half inch on both sides. After the second time getting das boot truck went to Otay and crossed with no problem with the same papers!

Even the U S border people know it's a joke. Both times coming back through with returno papers they laughed and told me about how many other people keep getting sent back for no reason. "They are very nice there anymore". Lol

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
I have a 1967 beetle title I use for my class-12 car...wonder if that would work??

swiftracing5

I have a 1967 beetle title I use for my class-12 car...wonder if that would work??
As long as the VIN on the title is somewhere on the car you should be fine. They have grilled us the last 4-5 crossings. Sent truck and trailer through the x-ray tube, checked all paperwork making sure it was legit.

Luckily we planned the tire tax out and didn't get hit for that.

squirelmurphy

I had the pink slip, not the registration, for my trailer when I crossed at TJ for the 500. Even though it shows on the pink that permanent registration has been paid, they threatened to turn us around. Long story short, it cost $100. They got the guy behind me as well for having a minor discrepancy with his paperwork. It was was a hassle, as I had to do the X-ray thing with my van, trailer, and pre runner.

I had the pink slip, not the registration, for my trailer when I crossed at TJ for the 500. Even though it shows on the pink that permanent registration has been paid, they threatened to turn us around. Long story short, it cost $100. They got the guy behind me as well for having a minor discrepancy with his paperwork. It was was a hassle, as I had to do the X-ray thing with my van, trailer, and pre runner.

They know a sucker when they see one.

Don't let them pull that crap, stand your ground.

RedRide

They tried turning me around in Tecate a few weeks ago because my registration was expired. Had a smooth taking friend ask them for a favor and the girls let us go. Definitely tougher in Tecate than any of the other crossings for some reason.

BarrelRoll

How does it work for utv's? We don't have DMV registration for side by sides in Colorado, just OHV stickers.

Let me get this straight as far as chase trucks and trailers we need current registration that matches the VIN. Do we need titles? Also what about crossing with something not in your name, my trailer is plated in Michigan in my dad's name, do I need a notarized letter?