• Forum membership has its advantages....

New RZR Turbo over heat/fire

43mod

I hope I am wrong and Polaris steps up on this. I bought an RZR 1000 T from Temecula Motorsports on the way down to the Baja 500. 4 10 minute break in procedures and then maybe 25 miles of easy running resulted in massive overheat and small engine fire . I took it back to TM from Nor Cal to be sure the selling dealer could push it through and get it right. we are now at 5 weeks w essentially nothing done.
TM says they cant warranty anything w/o factory approval .
I was really looking forward to having a reliable off road toy to play w vs a race truck . In hind sight I should have thrashed it from the get go w/o break in time at all. Being a bit older and maybe somewhat smarter I was dreaming of doing it by the book and getting long life.
I am hearing more and more of these stories and fire stories ,whats the deal ?

JoeyD23

I hope I am wrong and Polaris steps up on this. I bought an RZR 1000 T from Temecula Motorsports on the way down to the Baja 500. 4 10 minute break in procedures and then maybe 25 miles of easy running resulted in massive overheat and small engine fire . I took it back to TM from Nor Cal to be sure the selling dealer could push it through and get it right. we are now at 5 weeks w essentially nothing done.
TM says they cant warranty anything w/o factory approval .
I was really looking forward to having a reliable off road toy to play w vs a race truck . In hind sight I should have thrashed it from the get go w/o break in time at all. Being a bit older and maybe somewhat smarter I was dreaming of doing it by the book and getting long life.
I am hearing more and more of these stories and fire stories ,whats the deal ?
Should me an email to joeyd@UTVUnderground.com. Let me see if I can help you.

43mod

I have heard from Polaris . they would like to buy the rig back . I am not sure how they are going to work this out money wise . I think a non turbo 2016 4 seater from Temecula Motorsports and some money back and all will be good. I will post how it turns out. Thank you Joey and TM

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
DETAILS: All model year 2016 Polaris RZR XP Turbo and RZR XP 4 Turbo recreational off-highway vehicles. The vehicles were sold in blue, gray, orange and red and have two or four seats and a rear box. “Polaris” is stamped onto the front grill. All model and Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are included in the recall.

WHY: The vehicles’ engines can overheat and the turbo system drain tube can loosen, posing a fire hazard.

INCIDENTS: There have been 19 reports of the vehicles catching fire, resulting in six reports of burn injuries. One of the reported fires injured a child and destroyed 15 acres of forest in Utah.

HOW MANY: About 13,000.

FOR MORE: Contact Polaris at 800-765-2747 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday, or online at www.polaris.com and click on “Off-Road Safety Recalls” at the bottom of the main page for more information.

M_Solms

I heard the big Pilot fire in ca was started by a turbo RZR that had a no drive recall.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1473367589.667904.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Fourstroker

Looks like a rollover fire to me. Notice it's on its lid. I rode through there last weekend. Doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be

Fourstroker

I read somewhere that the turbos were overheating causing the turbo drain plug to loosen.
Could have been Pat. Just noticed in the photo that it was on its lid. The road through there varies from big wide berms to off camber.

NIKAL

This is what I was told the recall fix for the turbo is going to be. The fitting on the oil return line is replaced, as this is what has been found as the failure and causing the oil to get onto the turbo and header. The second item was a ECU re-flash. No idea what was changed in the programing, as the dealer said they were not told, but it was mandatory, unlike the non turbo recall where the re-flash was optional. It was speculated it was probably to reduced the timing, reduce the water temp limit and to put the car into limp mode sooner if it got to hot. No idea if once cooled the limp mode will turn off, or if the dealer will have to reset it?

43mod

Wednesday I picked up the 2017 non turbo 1000 from TM to replace the 2016 T1000 Polaris bought back.
The week before Polaris sent me a check for the difference in price . All in all I think they did everything I could ask of them . Now I have to learn what a UTV is all about and make it ready for some Baja trail rides. First thing is having the steering wheel at full arms length away has got to change .

JoeyD23

Wednesday I picked up the 2017 non turbo 1000 from TM to replace the 2016 T1000 Polaris bought back.
The week before Polaris sent me a check for the difference in price . All in all I think they did everything I could ask of them . Now I have to learn what a UTV is all about and make it ready for some Baja trail rides. First thing is having the steering wheel at full arms length away has got to change .
You can get an deep dish steering wheel and put a disconnect on it. It will bring it closer. Also, your seat slides jajaja

Enjoy your machine!