New SCORE 1600 Rules

ScottWisdom

Reaction
SCORE posted their new 1600 rules on www.score-international.com. SCORE will allow disc brakes despite the fact that 85% of 1600 racers (including SCORE 1600 racers) don't want any rule changes. They'll allow front discs in 2003 and rear discs in 2004. Go figure.

Here's the highlights of the brake changes.

Front suspension track width must not exceed stock VW track width. Track width will be measured from wheel mount face to wheel mount face, the maximum width is 55 inches.

Rear suspension track width must not exceed a maximum of 58.250 inches as measured from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. No outboard CV joints allowed. The entire outer CV must remain inside of the trailing arm inner bearing.

Any type and manufacture brake may be used as long as all other rules are maintained. No rear disc brakes allowed until January 1, 2004.

ntsqd

Reaction
Interesting that they went with phasing in the fronts first. Based on my glass buggy experience those will help the least.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Desert_Roller

Reaction
Scott, I know you won't like my opinion on the disk brake issue, but here it goes.

If the car stops better
If after the initial expense they cost less to maintain
If you have less unsprung weight
If parts are easier to find
And lastly, remember Brady's front drum exploding, and the roll that followed?

I'm all for disk brakes.

Tom

Desert_Roller

Reaction
One more thing, with the new disk brakes rule, I would also like to see:

NO restrictor plates

Cars weighed with the drivers / and or co-rider

A weight formula for single seaters so there's no advantage

Anyone else?

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Tom,

You raise some valid points.

But I keep wondering . . .

Why not the same changes in 5-1600 and 9?

Kinda of negates any safety arguments.

Reese

MNotary

Reaction
"Kinda of negates any safety arguments"

Just not there yet? How many front ends are lost at speed?

Why not dual port and 34 PICT carb. That HP should not hurt driveline anymore than the single port.

Is it time to revolutionize 1600?

I was against micro stubs, disk brakes and any other change. After looking at the front end parts, combos and arms, what is the big deal. We are spending there, so spend a little more. Desert racing is so expensive anyways, is the upgrade that expensive, probably not in the long run. $2500 dollars for front and rear disk brakes, it isn't that much money (two self built transmissions, a engine...).

Plus it will look cool.

ScottWisdom

Reaction
I clipped this post from www.pro1600.com

===================================

Pro-1600 Racers-

Pro-1600 will not be honoring the disc brake rule change implemented by SCORE International. Teams competing in Pro-1600 will be required to continue to run drum brakes. A survey of more than 65 teams, SCORE teams included, was unanimously against allowing disc brakes in class 1/2-1600. We will continue to use industry standard rules minus disc brakes. After talking to each promoter about the 2003 Pro-1600 Series, they have agreed to let Pro-1600 make their own ruling on disc brakes at their races. Score is the only promoter to turn a deaf ear to the vote of the racers.

Thanks Scott Steele
Steele Bros. Racing- (661) 296-1639

vman

Reaction
I don't like the rule ether, and disk brakes on the front that makes no sense do they think we are driving on pavement. Can you say this thing don't turn.

racing

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What did MacCachren/Fraley have to say about it?

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."