• Forum membership has its advantages....

New SCORE rule re: lights on hwy

Chainguide

CR 18-A OFF-ROAD LIGHT OPERATION - All non-DOT approved lights must be turned off when vehicle is being operated on any paved highway or public roads. Only DOT approved lights can be in operation on these roads. Non-DOT approved lights must also be turned off when entering checkpoint areas. This regulation applies to all trucks, cars, UTVs, motos and quads, and includes team and chase vehicles as well.

this is gonna be tough on the bikes

Zambo

So is that United States DOT or the Mexican DOT. I think the Mexican DOT has some pretty loose standards as to approved vehicle lighting.

Baja Bryan

Other problem is not all manufacturers make a dot light that will work in a off road racing iniroment. I like the idea of the rule to make it safe on the HWY's . I think there are plenty of small non dot lights that could be safe but maybe need to be approved by score. What is everyone planning to run?

Zambo

They make DOT approved LED sealed beam headlights.

ACME

Sounds like another knee jerk, well thought out decision with little thought of a solution; by SCORE to offset a problem that we've had for years. Next there will be a light tracker-sensor rental for $200 with a $300 bracket...

Too bad most for of the racers (and the impotent CHASERS) don't get that you don't need to roam the highways with every LED/HID on blinding everyone at 50mph or whatever the rule of the day is for the racers and 85-100mph for the BA chasers.

To me the race cars with their front ambers only, on-on the hwy sections are less blinding as a thought

pdailey

Racer
Sounds like another knee jerk, well thought out decision with little thought of a solution; by SCORE to offset a problem that we've had for years. Next there will be a light tracker-sensor rental for $200 with a $300 bracket...

Too bad most for of the racers (and the impotent CHASERS) don't get that you don't need to roam the highways with every LED/HID on blinding everyone at 50mph or whatever the rule of the day is for the racers and 85-100mph for the BA chasers.

To me the race cars with their front ambers only, on-on the hwy sections are less blinding as a thought
Indeed. The Chasers are a much bigger problem. This needs to be addressed at the drivers meeting and passed onto the crews. I saw some really dumb stuff at the 1000.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
I would assume this has to do with the Parkhouse incident?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
That was my biggest problem at pits in the dark I'd tell everyone "DO NOT LOOK AT THE LIGHTS" let the pit caption go blind you guys are going to need to see what the hell your doing, alas they hardly ever listened sometimes we looked like the keystone cops bumping into each other from the blindness.

The other bitch I had was smokers at fuel pits but that's another story.

dan200

#BSF200
Indeed. The Chasers are a much bigger problem. This needs to be addressed at the drivers meeting and passed onto the crews. I saw some really dumb stuff at the 1000.
Since the rule states at the end "includes team and chase vehicles as well" I am wondering what they are going to do/how its going to be enforced. Policing this on race cars with numbers would be much easier than with chase trucks. Sure lots of teams have fancy wraps/logos/paint jobs but the majority of the chasers don't.

"It was four guys in a white superduty crew cab with some dump cans in the back. The driver had a beard I think."

dan200

#BSF200
I've seen that guy before. Was he drinking a monster?
That was him. LOL

I feel a little bad here. Cody is my friend and I am glad that an effort is going to be made to try and curb the bright lights on the highways that surely led to his accident. Like I said before, with race cars this will be easy to enforce. I also like that there's something being done to help the course workers who run check points to be able to see, and score the race cars correctly and easier.

We all know that there are plenty of A-hole chase guys who need to be put in check regarding this behavior and I know that if we screwed this up and got our team a penalty, especially one that cost us a win or even just a position, we would be in deep shizzy with the boss. I would like to also say that our crew is perfect and never done anything dangerous, stupid, or even rude ever while chasing, but then I would be lying. We are pretty well behaved on race day especially and our squad is seasoned enough to mitigate all the risks we can when we chase but still. Nobody is perfect.

At any rate, Ramsey told me one time that "a rule you can't enforce isn't a rule". I don't see how this can be enforced, or more correctly, enforced evenly?

masleca

The racers and the chasers are all just a small part of the problem.......
Damn near every spectator has the Chinese LED top bar on, full blaze now......
Most of the Pits have huge lights pointed out onto the course.....
The later it gets at night, the spectators go back into their cars and point towards the course with their lights on too....
Now we know what the Kardashians feel like on the Red carpet :)

I'm really glad that SCORE is trying to help but Dan & Ramsey are right,,,,,,and the only people that will end up getting "enforced" are the Racers.....

9rocky

I believe someone from a lighting company may have been discussing this with SCORE today. There may be a revision coming soon on this...

JDDurfey

What about the bikes? How is a bike supposed to run both a bright lights and DOT lights. I am old school and we ran two 8" lights to be able to charge in the dark. I guess it could be set up to turn one light off, but neither of the lights were DOT approved so we would still be breaking the rules.

I don't know a lot about what LED lights the guys run now, but it still doesn't seem very feasible to me.

dezert_nerd

What about the bikes? How is a bike supposed to run both a bright lights and DOT lights. I am old school and we ran two 8" lights to be able to charge in the dark. I guess it could be set up to turn one light off, but neither of the lights were DOT approved so we would still be breaking the rules.

I don't know a lot about what LED lights the guys run now, but it still doesn't seem very feasible to me.
The only option I see is running a dimmer like what BD sells for their LED Lights, but then that's another part to add that can potentially fail. I would like to say that this rule should not apply to the bikes and quads but even they look like a trophy truck coming down the road with the lighting capabilities available in this day and age.

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
Quads won't have a problem. Most guys run stock hoods and a lot of the aftermarket hoods have the space to bolt the stock headlight back on that's not blinding.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Maybe you only run 1 small race light in area requiring safety, could be pointed in a safe beam direction? Just thinking, that's what we do, wire 1 light coming into pits.