New Shackle Idea

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Here is an idea i thought of the other day. I sketched this up at school a few days ago. Try your best to understand it, but it would use a bearign on the shackle bolts so the shackle could slide back and forth. You would use a wishbone, like from a three link so it wouldnt move side to side. I dont know if it would work or not, but it is just a thought.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
I thougt that would give it some more travel. I wouldnt do it to my truck. I was just thinkink of alternatives to 4,3, and standard leaf spring dezigns.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
There is no resistance....it would be slop becasue you have no forces acting to hold the shackle in place other then the friction from the bearing which can be assummed neglidgible. The point of a shackle is to pivot about a point. Do more thinking and maybe you can come up with something completely new that is an alternative to a shackle.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

evan_clanin

Reaction
im looking at this and imkinda lost, do the shackles slid in the frame rail, and if they do kritter is right, they would be slop, you would most likly break somthing on a hard impact, unless u ran bump stops, or u could maby find a small shock and valve it right and some how use that to work agains the hanger sliding, i could be totaly off, and no see how this is working, only me see what i see

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Yea, see i thought that it would slide on a notch in the frame, but i see how there would be no resistance.

evan_clanin

Reaction
use a big rubber band or a few bunge cords

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

hbprnstr

Reaction
I think this one is way beyond where is fish's baseball, but it does make me so proud that instead of learning how to be literate we have masterpieces like this being thought up. Thumbs up to public schooling.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Your tax dollars at work now and in the future in terms of unemployment checks!

See ya in the dirt!

JasonHutter

Reaction
I have seen this before on a Jeep Comanche pre-runner for Rick Harrah. (yes, the name goes with the hotels. He runs a class 8 truck and ran it in BORE last year to shake it down) I don't have any pictures of his pre-runner but here is his race truck.

Jason

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I'm a little disappointed that he is of the Harrah's hotel fortune and that is his race truck? Nice truck, but come on I beams?

See ya in the dirt!

Greg

Reaction
Steve Ruddic ran a sliding shackle for years on his toyota, and has since switched to a conventional shackel.

Greg

jeff

Reaction
The "Revolver" shackle is what some of the rock crawler guys used. I say used because they had a nasty habit of releasing when going down steep hills... allowing the rear of the vehicle to jack up. I don't know if it ever rolled anyone but I know that just about all the crawler guys have abandoned that shackle design. It only really worked on a ramp to boost RTI scores... in the realworld it was pretty useless.

Aloha

Bryan_D

Reaction
Ya I have seen them unload when not needed and it wasnt pretty. Actually a buddy of mine slipped a input shaft from the t-case when it opened from the extreme droop. Always looked spooky to me when they went around a street corner looked like they were gonna roll every time.

ntsqd

Reaction
B4 you run off and be too harsh on the idea, certain circle track venues have used 'shackles' like that for years. It works in their application and to show up with 'normal' shackles is to go home empty handed. No kiss the girrlll, no trophy to pour beer down yer gullet with.

People generally don't like change, and some of you just made my point.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.