• Forum membership has its advantages....

New to Desert - Quad Racing

Hey guys, I hope this is in the right forum.

I raced quads when I was a bit younger for 8 years and have been getting back into it this year after a long time away. After racing a lot of MX and doing a few GNCC style races throughout my years I've always wanted to do a desert race. I've been planning this year and hoping to get signed up for one race next year to get some experience.

Any suggestions or advice for a first-time desert racer is greatly appreciated. Any specific gear that I need for tracking, GPS or communications?

Thanks for everyone for the assistance and look forward to meeting some racers in person next year.

rustyb

Are you thinking about a specific race? BITD, SCORE, or a smaller local race? Makes a big difference as far as what you need.

What are you riding?

I was thinking the RZR UTV World Championship in Laughlin in early April.

I ride a Yamaha YFZ450 that is currently built for MX but I've been getting the obvious tires/wheels, skid plates and larger gas tank. Anything else that I should be looking into?

nickybobby333

I was thinking the RZR UTV World Championship in Laughlin in early April.

I ride a Yamaha YFZ450 that is currently built for MX but I've been getting the obvious tires/wheels, skid plates and larger gas tank. Anything else that I should be looking into?
That is a great starter race, as the laps are only around 14 miles and it is pretty fast. I would also look at racing Parker in January. Three 80 mile loops, and a true desert race.

If I can manage to get everything lined up in time for January I'm down for Parker. Any tips on what I will need outside of normal racing and what I should be carrying with me?

frozenh2o

Yeah Parker should be your target, it's much better race than the UTV worlds, it's a true long-distance desert race.Think about whether you can make 80 miles on a tank, if not you'll need fuel at the alternate pit. Shouldn't be a problem, the quad racers are a tight group and won't hesitate to help you out if you need it, just takes a bit of advance planning. Gear your quad for top speed...Best in the Desert races are fast...The race starts early in the morning and can be bite-ass cold. Think about some warm hand guards...oh, and if you're on facebook join the "desert atv racing" page, lots of good info and updates.

rustyb

Although not absolutely necessary for BITD as they come get you if you break, a sat phone is nice to let your crew know if you have trouble. Obviously tools, simple spares like spark plug, etc. If you break, you can be out there a long time, so water, energy bars, matches, cotton balls saturated with Vaseline (to start a fire), space blanket, flashlight.

trentk

I would not recommend the UTV world championship. Its pretty boring and not a real desert race. You could do something similar for 1/5th the cost at any smaller promotion. Parker 250 is where its at. Almost no quad can do 80 miles on a tank plan on needing fuel at the alt pit, theres always people who can help if you don't have 2 pit crews.

You will need a desert tank, 23/22" desert size tires, spare tires/wheels in case of flat, common spare parts in the pit.

If you have never done any sort of endurance / longer race I highly suggest you try it out at a smaller aka cheaper promotion before jumping into BITD. The entry fees and everything in general are a lot higher. Who wants to drop that kinda money on something they are not sure they like? I have dragged a few mx guys to the desert and half of them hate it and half of them liked it.

There is arizona off road promotions, district 37, district 38, king of the desert, ama hare and hound etc.

GPS is not needed for Parker but nice for SS300 or V2R and definitely needed for baja. helmet communications are also not necessary but nice to have. I have a $200 PCI helmet kit I will sell you for $25 plus shipping if you want it. You will still need the radio for it to work obviously. Its this: PCI Motorcycle Kit - Icom Harness, Helmet wiring kit PTT

Check my website for more info that might be useful and good luck!

Fourstroker

Couldn't agree more with trentk. Parker 250 is the best bike/quad race of the season. Bummed. I don't think I will be racing this year