New to Me Baja Threat - Rabid Skunks!

jeff

Reaction
I spent about a 1/2 hour on the phone with a customer today and we started talking about Baja. He recently had to cut a La Paz trip short after his friend was "attacked" by a rabid skunk. Apparently the guys were down near La Paz seeking out some new places to rock climb. They were camping near a river bed and around 3:am one guy was attacked by "the skunk from hell" while sleeping. The skunk bit onto his finger and would not let go. The guy slammed the skunk repeatedly on the ground and it still would not let go. Finally he was able to put all of his weight on the side of the skunks head at the jaw hinge and got his finger free. The skunk then ran after the other buddy who was dazed and standing nearby in his sleeping bag. The skunk attacked a jacket on the ground and ran off. The skunk made a 3rd attack and was running around their truck... the skunk was finally killed with a well thrown rock.

Apparently rabid skunks are not an uncommon problem this time of year in Southern Baja. Might be old news to some of you, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I've been traveling to Baja for almost 20 years and have never EVER worried about a skunk attack. In this case the guys had a Sat phone and were able to call a US doctor who said the injury required immediate rabies treatment. The guy had to cut his trip short and fly home for treatment. The buddy that stuck around talked to a few local ranchers and they said this is not as unusual as it sounds. I did some searching online and rabies is more widespread in Mexico because of the species of Bats that live there. So... if you do get bit by some wild critter it might be wise to treat it as a potentially severe or even life threatening situation. Rabies ain't to be messed with!

Aloha

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
That's IT!! Mexico is the worst place ever!! I'm never going back!! :p:p:p
That's because you're a pansy. :D:D

Never even thought they had skunks down there.

Now are the chupacabras rabid too? that's my only worry about the wildlife down there. that and the cows. :)

Giant Geoff

Reaction
People stay away for Baja all together; no human should ever go! If by some reason you have to go, take 5 gallons of tomato juice.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
People stay away for Baja all together; no human should ever go! If by some reason you have to go, take 5 gallons of tomato juice.
as long as ya got 5gal. of vodka to go with......

dezertboy69

Reaction
randy is right. if the vodak doesnt kill any infection you may happen to contract.. atleast it will make you forget about contracting it at all!!!!

Zambo

Reaction
If you've never tried the skunk asada con queso tortas at serinidad, then let me tell you they're awesome. Talk about spicy! Try them with a side of California Condor sauce. Also, on hot days I find that the Desert Manatee smoothies they serve at Don Jose's are very refreshing.

PT9Baja

Reaction
I have seen a squirrel twice in my back yard in Loreto. [for real] So far he seems OK but after all it is Baja! Is there an anti venom for squirrel ??

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I have seen a squirrel twice in my back yard in Loreto. [for real] So far he seems OK but after all it is Baja! Is there an anti venom for squirrel ??
Careful...your post is not PC...The Washington Squirrel coalition will protest. Maybe this is Squirrel Lite?:p

Zambo

Reaction
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch works pretty good on rabbits. Perhaps you could consult the Book of Armaments and see if it is effective on squirrels.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Dammit, who let the Skunks out of Washington DC !?!?!?!?!

murphco

Reaction
we have had 40 plus reported and tested rabid animal attacks in the last few months.during the past few nights skunks have been fighting and attacking everything in the yard.saturday night there were 5 of them spazzing out in the driveway.they keep chewing on the tires on the vehicles in the neighborhood and we havent caught any of them in the traps yet.the animal control officer is a friend of mine so we may sit out and hit them with some sub sonic rounds to keep it quiet.its annoying to smell them spraying every night and we usually catch some but not so far.lame

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
I hate skunks! that story does kinda sound funny, i know its serious but thats kinda like getting attacked by a rabid koala... its just so cute! jajaja.
dont have many in parker but if rabid alley cats and/or raccons hit town im doomed!!!

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
Rabid skunk finds and bites a warm "grub" on a cool night. Dinner turns out to be a finger that did not have a cold beer attached. Skunk is hungry and realizes its one for the record book so will die before the big one gets away...:eek:

Jessro

Reaction
You guys need to talk to a pathologic veterinarian. Somehow the skunks are getting infected with a transpecies form of "Mad Cow Disease" and are going coo coo.